Shooting fish with hooks.

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

How many fish have you shot with a hook in their lip?

17%
33%
22%
No votes
6%
6%
6%
No votes
11%
More
No votes

Total votes : 18

Shooting fish with hooks.

Postby One_drake » July 8th, 2017, 4:32 pm

I recently ran into another wsb with a hook and line hanging off its lip, last one was 5 years ago at Catalina (tied to kelp stalk, mostly dying). Yesterdays was probably hooked that morning and free swimming with about 10 ft of mono and 5 ft of braid. So the question is...... is this a pretty normal amount over 9 years of constant diving? How many fish have you shot with a hook in their mouth?
One_drake
spearo

Re: Shooting fish with hooks.

Postby AJP » July 8th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Trivial, but fun survey. :)
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby John Hughes » July 8th, 2017, 7:38 pm

I put 8 which is a guess but it includes all species from seabass to yellows to grouper down in Baja. Definitely more than a few.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 8th, 2017, 7:57 pm

I've never seen one with a hook in it. But maybe I should shoot more White Sea bass.
Last edited by Bill McIntyre on July 9th, 2017, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby 32juan » July 9th, 2017, 9:48 am

I've shot a few, all different types of fish. Calico, WSB, YT... I've even shot one that had a bite out of it's tail!

Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby Freeryde » July 9th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Seen and shot many fish trailing lines. If you dive paddys a lot you will see it often
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Trace » July 9th, 2017, 4:33 pm

I like that picture of your WSB Juan. I haven't seen one chewed on before.
Trace
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 9th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Freeryde wrote:Seen and shot many fish trailing lines. If you dive paddys a lot you will see it often

OK, I have seen yellowtail with hooks. I was thinking about white sea bass.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Steve G » July 9th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Hooks or kooks? Mostly I shoot fish with kooks. Can't get on a boat without 'em. ;)
Steve G
kook

Postby dam » July 10th, 2017, 10:02 am

Freeryde wrote:Seen and shot many fish trailing lines. If you dive paddys a lot you will see it often

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I didn't think a typical paddy yt/dorado can break a line, but that's where I see the most.

The other fish I usually see with hook in mouth is AJ. And they always look pissed off, too. :rofl:
dam
sea slayer

Postby chris oak » July 10th, 2017, 10:15 am

dam wrote:

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I didn't think a typical paddy yt/dorado can break a line, but that's where I see the most.

The other fish I usually see with hook in mouth is AJ. And they always look pissed off, too. :rofl:

Sometimes in a hot bite guys will saw each other off on a running fish if they aren't watching the lines.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Hookin » July 10th, 2017, 10:42 am

I once shot a big calico and didnt notice till I went to brain it that the entire right side had been chewed off. It was not healed over yet and looked real infected. Needless to say, I did not eat that one. I was suprised it was alive. Its amazing what animals can survive.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby LookPointShoot » July 10th, 2017, 7:52 pm

dam wrote:

What Chris said, plus dodos have pretty mean teeth that can cut the line and YT generally run into the patty where they can snap the often light line guys use on kelps.
LookPointShoot
spearo

Postby Atanas Baitchev » July 15th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Hookin wrote:I once shot a big calico and didnt notice till I went to brain it that the entire right side had been chewed off. It was not healed over yet and looked real infected. Needless to say, I did not eat that one. I was suprised it was alive. Its amazing what animals can survive.

I once saw a small female sheephead swimming around with a fresh perfect-crescent shark bite out of its back. I had no idea how that thing was still swimming around. What's crazier is that I saw the same fish a week or two later, and it looked like it was healing!
Atanas Baitchev
spearo

Postby Hookin » July 17th, 2017, 12:09 am

Atanas Baitchev wrote:
Hookin wrote:I once shot a big calico and didnt notice till I went to brain it that the entire right side had been chewed off. It was not healed over yet and looked real infected. Needless to say, I did not eat that one. I was suprised it was alive. Its amazing what animals can survive.

I once saw a small female sheephead swimming around with a fresh perfect-crescent shark bite out of its back. I had no idea how that thing was still swimming around. What's crazier is that I saw the same fish a week or two later, and it looked like it was healing!

I saw a big male sheephead estimated about 20 plus pounds with a healed wound on his head. It looked like he had torn off from a spear. He booked it real fast as I started lining up on him. I just needed another second and he would have been on my stringer but he dissapeared faster than I could line up and pull the trigger.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Royfish » July 25th, 2017, 7:41 pm

I came across this right off of Cherry Cove a couple years back. I generally hate seals, but I felt sorry for this poor little guy, so I shot a fish and gave it to him. He came right up to me and thanked me with his desperate eyes and slowly swam away. It was a trippy moment. I have it on video, but have no idea how to upload it. I'm not even sure if these pics are gonna show up.
I realized at that moment that something big, and very recently, got ahold of him, and suddenly I felt the need to hop back in the boat.
Attachments
Royfish
noob

Return to California & Baja