Byron Q needs your support

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Postby chris oak » July 12th, 2017, 8:50 pm

I just talked to Byrons brother (Gus) and he gave me the okay to post this, some of you might have heard that Byron had a massive heart attack a few days ago and has been unconscious since. It came out of no where and he went to ICU and was in bad shape, he was not expected to survive the first night but you know Byron, he's a fighter and made it thru and also thru last night. He is still unconscious and on life support, the more encouraging news is that he is showing some brain function. They had kept his body temp down and slowly raised it today. His brother, has not left his side since and both he and his mother are trying to keep positive. They lost his father about a year ago and I am sure his mother is not taking it well.

Please keep him and your family in your thoughts and well wishes, everyone is blown away that this happened as Byron is fairly young, he's only 54. We are all hoping he still has a lot more time to chase fish the rest of his life.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Byron Q needs your support

Postby John Hughes » July 12th, 2017, 8:58 pm

chris oak wrote:I just talked to Byrons brother (Gus) and he gave me the okay to post this, some of you might have heard that Byron had a massive heart attack a few days ago and has been unconscious since. It came out of no where and he went to ICU and was in bad shape, he was not expected to survive the first night but you know Byron, he's a fighter and made it thru and also thru last night. He is still unconscious and on life support, the more encouraging news is that he is showing some brain function. They had kept his body temp down and slowly raised it today. His brother, has not left his side since and both he and his mother are trying to keep positive. They lost his father about a year ago and I am sure his mother is not taking it well.

Please keep him and your family in your thoughts and well wishes, everyone is blown away that this happened as Byron is fairly young. I want to say he's about 52 as I remember going to his bday and Rick Hadley was there and it's probably been two years since we lost Rick. We are all hoping he still has a lot more time to chase fish the rest of his life.

Thanks for following up with Gus Chris. Super tragic but we are praying hard. Byron is one of those guys that is always so full of life. I can't believe it could end so quickly ( he's only 46). There were good signs from today so I am confident!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » July 12th, 2017, 9:12 pm

OH man, I thought it was his 50th bday we celebrated a few years ago?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Pierreyaldo » July 12th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Byron... pull through man.
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby db1 » July 12th, 2017, 10:57 pm

We've all been praying and sending our love and support.

I cannot believe that his time here is done.

He's a fighter and so full of life I have my hope in him.

Byron is almost single handedly responsible for all the relationships I have in the spearing community and for that I am forever grateful. This sport and this community have changed my life.

Love you brother... keep up the fight for all of us who have been touched by you.
db1
prick

Postby chris oak » July 13th, 2017, 6:56 am

Update from Gus this am: "Update on my brother Byron Quinonez at Hoag Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit as he remains in a medically induced coma.
Every minute-every hour is a major victory in his fight for his life.
Please continue to pray for him and my moms strength. The number of meds has been reduced in order to see what his body can handle. His body temperature has risen as he is slowly taken off the Arctic Sun machine used to reduce swelling to the brain. The doctors are pleased as he has not had any seizures and thus his EEG halo collar has been removed.
The frenzy in his room between doctors and nurses has reduced dramatically in the last 24 hours and certainly much more than the initial 45 minutes it took as he was shocked and defibrillated back to life numerous times.
We will try again tomorrow at noon to cautiously take him off all sedatives.
Thank you for all the support and prayers he is receiving throughout this extremely difficult journey."
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby rhyne » July 13th, 2017, 7:03 am

Sending good energy his direction. Hang in the Byron. My sincerest to the family as well. praying all goes the right direction.
rhyne
spearo

Postby Washington1 » July 13th, 2017, 9:54 am

Fight on Byron! He is one of the most generous people on the planet. Always down to pitch in and give kindness and help. All my thoughts and prayers to you my brother!
Shoot Straight!
Malloy
Long Beach Neptune
Washington1
spearo

Postby malibujohn » July 13th, 2017, 9:58 am

Man, what a gut wrencher. Met him a couple times on the dollar, what a class guy! Sounds like he made it through the tough part, C'mon Byron!!!! Our prayers are with you, and when you are better, punta mita is on me!
malibujohn
kook

Postby VangysWay » July 13th, 2017, 10:06 am

This is horrible. Sending all of my positive energy your way Byron.
VangysWay
kook

Postby dam » July 13th, 2017, 10:14 am

Byron is an awesome dive and pool training buddy. Always super fun to hang out with. Like Dylan said, there's no way he's done here. C'mon Byron!
dam
sea slayer

Postby tannercortes » July 13th, 2017, 11:00 am

Go Byron! Fight!
tannercortes
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » July 13th, 2017, 11:44 am

Prayers sent up for Byron, and for his mom and brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby flattie » July 13th, 2017, 12:21 pm

He's 54. Same age as me.
flattie
spearo

Postby Errin » July 13th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Met Byron several times on the Sand Dollar and at Neptune auctions. One of the most positive, nice and sincere guys out there. A true ambassador for the club and a bright light.

Sending positive thoughts out there for his recovery!
Errin
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 13th, 2017, 7:17 pm

flattie wrote:He's 54. Same age as me.

Damn, that's my son's age. That really puts it perspective. Far too young. Life is so precarious. I'll be pulling for him.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby ianhmg » July 14th, 2017, 10:39 pm

This is very sad news to read. Byron is an awesome guy. I dived with him a few times, and he taught me a lot, especially about safe, smart breath-hold training. Sweet wonderful guy and a great diver who seemed kind of indestructible. I hope he pulls through this. Please keep us posted.
ianhmg
noob

Postby chris oak » July 15th, 2017, 8:13 am

Update: Yesterday Byron opened his eyes for the first time and squeezed his mothers hand upon request. They are going to reduce the amount on his respirators to see if he can slowly start breathing on his own. Great positive signs!!!!!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Landfish » July 15th, 2017, 9:23 am

Wow, what an amazing thing that he is strong and pulling through to this side. His family being there is surely helping. Keeping him on my prayer list.
Landfish
spearo

Postby malibujohn » July 15th, 2017, 9:52 am

chris oak wrote:Update: Yesterday Byron opened his eyes for the first time and squeezed his mothers hand upon request. They are going to reduce the amount on his respirators to see if he can slowly start breathing on his own. Great positive signs!!!!!

This is what I pray to read every time I click on the thread!! What a stud, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear at this! :bow-blue:
malibujohn
kook

Postby chris oak » July 16th, 2017, 12:13 pm

No words can do justice to this pictureImage
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bamz » July 16th, 2017, 2:51 pm

That's a great picture! Keep fighting Byron!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Hookin » July 16th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Such a nice guy. Praying for a quick recovery.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby malibujohn » July 16th, 2017, 5:32 pm

chris oak wrote:No words can do justice to this pictureImage

AMEN!!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
malibujohn
kook

Postby Breathlessagony » July 16th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Praise The Lord!

Byron, my family and I have been praying hard for your recovery. This is nothing short of a miracle!

Hoag CVICU is my old unit, and I know the character and commitment of the people who work there. You've been in the best hands possible.

See you soon!

Jeff
Breathlessagony
noob

Postby chris oak » July 17th, 2017, 4:52 am

We went to go see him yesterday, he smiles right away and can talk a bit, but it's still hard for him. You can tell he wants to get up and move around but I kept telling him to relax, the nurses warned him to not try to get up and eventually he agreed to let the nurses give him a sedative because he hasn't been sleeping a lot. Flat out amazing, during the first 24 hours the doc told his family that he was probably not going to make it and to get his affairs in order and fast forward to today and he's smiling and talking.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby coreyf » July 17th, 2017, 7:11 am

amazing! keep on fighting.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » July 17th, 2017, 5:51 pm

Fight hard Byron we all love you and your big smile. My family is praying for you and kin.

Sincerely Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby db1 » July 17th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Hey guys, just an update. I went to see Byron today with my son and Captn Ron. When we got there, there were a couple people in with him already, so he is being well represented by his friends with a great show of support.

He had a super cute nurse holding his hand because he has to keep that arm down... she had a big smile on her face as he kept trying to lift it up to hug us all as we came in. He seems to dig having her by his side, cause he kept explaining to her what kooks we all were and what we did. Seemed like she'd been hearing that a lot, but she sure pretended to be interested! ; )

He was a bit slow, but fully coherent and we had great conversations... mostly about who's fish were bigger than who's. FYI my bluefin was the smallest in the room... B pointed that out 3 times. He certainly didn't forget that.

He was clutching a Nemo Beanie Baby which he eventually gave to my son Odin. Odin was pretty touched by that cause at dinner tonight he kept talking about what a great guy Byron is... he's up there with Santa Claus, apparently.

He trashed talked my work, made my son feel great, and told the nurse how salty Ron was. He pretty much covered the bases... he was super stoked for us to visit, he hugged us hard, man. It was great to feel how much the visits mean to him.

He did say that he doesn't remember everyone who came in, but he knows there have been a lot of people and he feels grateful! The he told us, in case we hadn't heard... that he had a heart attack! We told him we'd gotten the drift... and laughed our asses off.

I'm no doctor, and the nurse was pretty tight lipped in regards to prognosis, but I'm gonna say that he is not out of the woods yet, but his progress is miraculous and remarkable.

It was so awesome to see him, and see that he's still good ole Byron in there... be careful if you go visit though, he seemed to like lifting his leg up and dropping his gown off to the side... not an easy sight on the eyes! :eek:

I believe every day will see marked improvement, and I'm planning to head back down in a few days.

Here's a pic of us... it reminded me that he was pretty into Batman vs Superman that was playing on the tv to the upper left of the photo... by the time we got around to taking the pic he was pretty bored of us and couldn't take his eyes off the screen. I think he was getting pretty tired and ready to take a nap which was good.
Attachments
db1
prick

Postby mikeme » July 18th, 2017, 1:56 am

Thank god he is better. Wish him full recovery.
mikeme
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » July 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Thanks for the update db1, I'll go to see him soon.

Don
Last edited by Donzi Paul on July 19th, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby malibujohn » July 19th, 2017, 5:26 am

Thanks for the report DB! He looks pretty good in that last pic. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Where exactly is Hoag cardiovascular center?
malibujohn
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 19th, 2017, 6:20 am

Newport Beach
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby db1 » July 19th, 2017, 6:53 am

Yeah John as Bill said, it is in Newport Beach, right at the end of the 55 on the right hand side. you literally drive right into it as you come off the 55 and keep straight. Turn on Hospital Dr.
db1
prick

Postby chris oak » July 19th, 2017, 9:53 am

[url]https://www.hoag.org/locations/hoag-hospital-newport-beach/

He's in the ICU cardiac division, 4th floor. He's having open heart surgery tomorrow (thursday) so you might want to call to see when he's able to be seen over the next few days. Keep those positive thoughts flowing, he's doing fantastic!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Neptonics » July 19th, 2017, 11:05 am

The news hit the boys at Neptonics pretty hard and we're glad to hear that things are looking up. We're rooting for you Byron!
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby tannercortes » July 19th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Keep fighting!! This is great news!!!
tannercortes
spearo

Postby dam » July 20th, 2017, 9:59 am

Thanks for the report, Dylan. He might have forgotten some minor stuff but still remembers how to be a kook. Guess that's most important. :rofl:
dam
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » July 20th, 2017, 11:36 am

thanks for the updates guys. I just got back from a week in SD and was planning on heading over today. Due to the surgery I guess I'll postpone and continue to pray that all goes well today!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » July 20th, 2017, 12:31 pm

surgery went well guys! He has a defibrillator now, he has to rest up for another surgery later on for a bad valve.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » July 20th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Thank you Chris for the latest update. Great news. :greetings-clappingorange:

Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby VangysWay » July 21st, 2017, 9:27 am

Great news.. what a fighter! God is good :)
VangysWay
kook

Postby chris oak » July 24th, 2017, 2:48 pm

Well guys there is great news today. Byron got to go home, his brother posted pix of him smiling with thumbs up. Thank you for all your well wishes, it looked really bad at the beginning and man he made a miraculous recovery. He's got a valve replacement surgery upcoming when he's strong enough as well.

I still can't believe how fast he recovered, absolutely amazing progress!!
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Trace » July 24th, 2017, 3:52 pm

Great News!
Trace
kook

Postby malibujohn » July 24th, 2017, 5:42 pm

That is crazy good news!! :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: So happy for him and his Family! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
malibujohn
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » July 24th, 2017, 6:15 pm

So happy for you Byron :greetings-clappingorange: Thank you Chris for the good news. :D

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby mikehb » July 24th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Such good news! Mike
mikehb
noob

Postby rhyne » July 25th, 2017, 10:08 am

Bravo Byron!!!! That's great news. way to hang in there man. You've got more life to live sir.
rhyne
spearo

Postby John Hughes » July 25th, 2017, 2:29 pm

WTG Byron! Amazing recovery! God is GOOD!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Washington1 » July 25th, 2017, 2:49 pm

What a fighter! Man that is great news!!!
Shoot Straight!
Malloy
Long Beach Neptune
Washington1
spearo

Next

Return to California & Baja