(RAAC)Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

(RAAC)Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Postby Matt mattison » December 22nd, 2017, 10:58 am

Hey all I know most of us are upset and pissed off about the abalone closure, But we have a chance still with the development of the new fishery management plan "FMP" between that and the "sunset" date put on the closure by the Commissioners 2019 This is our chance to fight for it back and have a say in the design of the new fishery management plan. This is a chance for us to speak up share what we want in a new fishery and get involved. I say a lot of peoples replies and comments on line and bitching me included well this is our chance to change it ! There should be no excuses from divers for not attending if you truly want ab diving back ! this meeting is being held on a SATURDAY for once ! Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM Location: Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control boardroom, 595 Helman Lane, Cotati, CA.

MEETING AGENDA Recreational Abalone Advisory Committee (RAAC)Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM

MEETING AGENDA Recreational Abalone Advisory Committee (RAAC)Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Location: Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control boardroom, 595 Helman Lane, Cotati, CA.
Conference line: Toll-Free Number (in USA): 888-808-6929 When prompted, enter the Meeting Access Code: 9961539#
Contact Person: Ian Taniguchi, Senior Environmental Scientist, 4665 Lampson Ave. Suite C, Los Alamitos, CA. 90720 Phone: (562) 342-7182
Email: ian.taniguchi@wildlife.ca.gov
Committee Web Page: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservatio ... rates/RAAC 1. 10:00 – 10:15 Introductions and announcements (Taniguchi)
2. 10:15 – 10:45 CDFW enforcement report 2017 activities (Hendricks)
3. 10:45 – 14:45 Red abalone Fishery Management Plan (working lunch)a. Goals of the FMP b. Harvest Control Rule (CDFW) c. Harvest Control Rule (TNC)d. Discussion of HCRs (includes public expression on this topic)Break (as needed)
4. 14:45 – 15:00 Abalone dedicated account update (Taniguchi)
5. 15:00 – 15:15 Other Businesss
6. 15:15 – 15:30 Public Expression on other agenda items (please limit to 3 minutes per person) and wrap up, next meeting and Adjournment

Hope to see a packed house of divers !!! if we do not get involved and speak up we will surely never see abalone diving again at least if we try we have a chance !!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS
Matt mattison
kook

Re: (RAAC)Saturday, January 13, 201810:00 AM – 3:30 PM

Postby kathy » December 22nd, 2017, 12:44 pm

Matt

I can go to this and am happy to help however you guys need! Let me know if you want help writing or editing or whatever.

Kathy
kathy
spearo

Postby Matt mattison » December 22nd, 2017, 12:56 pm

kathy wrote:Matt

I can go to this and am happy to help however you guys need! Let me know if you want help writing or editing or whatever.

Kathy

awesome Kathy !! thank you. We need all of the divers support and to attend this and the upcoming meetings. If there was and ever a time to make the call to arms and get involved and attend now is the time.

Matt mattison
kook

Postby Matt mattison » January 4th, 2018, 1:50 pm

The meeting is next week I really hope to see a packed house of divers !

Abalone divers You want you suggestions heard and voice your thoughts get those letters written and sent in abalone divers !!!! or what it's worth. Advocates who wish to be sure they are on record: Get your comments in now!
See: http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2018/index.aspx
Scroll below calendar:
Continuation Notice (PDF- attached here as jpeg) - December 27, 2017
Revised Proposed Regulatory Language (PDF) - December 27, 2017
Date Filed with the Office of Administrative Law: pending
The Final Statement of Reasons and Approved Regulatory Language will be posted here when they become available.
Office of Administrative Law's decision: pending
Date filed with the Secretary of State: pending
Effective Date of Regulation: pending

[img width=463 height=600]https://i.imgur.com/KcezQ7A.jpg[/img]

Matt mattison
kook

Postby Matt mattison » January 8th, 2018, 2:59 pm

just a reminder this meeting is this Saturday, I hope to see a packed house

Matt mattison
kook

Postby Matt mattison » January 9th, 2018, 9:56 am

MEETING AGENDA
Recreational Abalone Advisory Committee (RAAC)
Saturday, January 13, 2018
10:00 AM – 3:30 PM

THEY EVEN HAVE A Conference line If you are unable to attend in person : Toll-Free Number (in USA): 888-808-6929
When prompted, enter the Meeting Access Code: 9961539#

MEETING AGENDA

Location: Marin/Sonoma Mosquito and Vector Control boardroom, 595 Helman Lane, Cotati, CA.
Conference line: Toll-Free Number (in USA): 888-808-6929
Contact Person: Ian Taniguchi, Senior Environmental Scientist, 4665 Lampson Ave. Suite C, Los Alamitos, CA. 90720 Phone: (562) 342-7182 Email: ian.taniguchi@wildlife.ca.gov
Committee Web Page: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservati…/…/Invertebrates/RAAC

1. 10:00 – 10:15 Introductions and announcements (Taniguchi)
3. 10:45 – 14:45 Red abalone Fishery Management Plan (working lunch)
a. Goals of the FMP
b. Harvest Control Rule (CDFW)
c. Harvest Control Rule (TNC)
d. Discussion of HCRs (includes public expression on this topic)
Break (as needed)
4. 14:45 – 15:00 Abalone dedicated account update (Taniguchi)
5. 15:00 – 15:15 Other Business
6. 15:15 – 15:30 Public Expression on other agenda items (please limit to 3 minutes per person) and wrap up, next meeting and Adjournment

Matt mattison
kook

Postby Matt mattison » January 11th, 2018, 12:16 pm

I received these PDF files on the the upcoming RAAC meeting, and wanted to share

MEETING AGENDA
Conference line: Toll-Free Number (in USA): 888-808-6929
Contact Person: Ian Taniguchi, Senior Environmental Scientist, 4665 Lampson Ave. Suite C, Los Alamitos,
CA. 90720 Phone: (562) 342-7182 Email: ian.taniguchi@wildlife.ca.gov
Committee Web Page: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Marine/Invertebrates/RAAC
1. 10:00 – 10:15 Introductions and announcements (Taniguchi)
3. 10:45 – 11:00 FGC Decision and fishery associated updates (Mastrup)
4. 11:00 - 14:45 Red abalone Fishery Management Plan (Mastrup)
a. Goals of the FMP
b. Harvest Control Rule (CDFW)
c. Harvest Control Rule (collaborative proposal)
d. Discussion of HCRs (includes public expression on this topic)
Break (as needed)
5. 14:45 – 15:00 Abalone dedicated account update (Taniguchi)
6. 15:00 – 15:15 Other Business
7. 15:15 – 15:30 Public Expression on other agenda items (please limit to 3 minutes per person) and
wrap up, next meeting and Adjournment

Here is spreadsheet that goes over the abalone budget for 2017 & 2018 as well as the abalone report card sales from 1998 to present
[img width=776 height=600]https://i.imgur.com/EJ6JbFn.jpg[/img]

the last attachment at bottom of post labeled RAAC_Ab_FMP_01132018 is Abalone Fishery Management Plan Update presentation that Sonke Mastrup Invert. Program Manager, will be presenting at the meeting, I have tried to attach this file but the site will not let me if you care to see it you can see it over at http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/foru ... 2#msg87132 it will be in the last post on the page

Matt mattison
kook

Postby Matt mattison » January 12th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Meeting is tomorrow I hope to see a lot of abalone divers there, this is our chance to start the process of getting our sport back,

here are my talking points and comments for tomorrow's meeting
Talking points

• New FMP we want multiple indicators in the new FMP, No Cadillac fishery

1. Catch total numbers
2. Size
3. Densities populations
4. More citizen science

• As diver we want more access to the fishery, even it means a reduced take to an extreme low level

• Fast track a purple urchin removal program / open up limits for recreational divers to remove urchin. The idea is to promote the recovery of the kelp beds and Kelp growth in order to repair the feeding grounds that were lost

• We would also like all proposals “DFW” / “TNC” of the new FMP and other info and suggestions submitted to the PEER review committee

• Ideally we want a bomb shelter fishery, meaning what is the absolute minimal harvest level, meaning that is the bottom line that we will not fish the populations under. WHAT IS THAT BOTTOM LINE?

• New FMP in time the next 6 months to be considered for reopening in 2019, which means having a final "draft" by June 2018

Good Morning
I know you and the organization you represent are very busy throughout the year, with many different things going on all at once regarding Fish & Wildlife Management for CA. But, thank you for taking the time to read this and hoping it may spark some alternate solutions or out-of-the-box ideas within your organization to help in opening up and managing a resource that I, my children, one day my children's children, and many others enjoy with a passion that few others ever experience in their lives. Abalone fishery Management is a difficult thing to balance with the flawed current ARMP that is in place for the so called "Cadillac “fishery. With that being said, I hope you and others realize we divers can be a significant resource in helping monitor those changes and offer viable real world solutions. Diver's involvement in management would promote both a healthy ocean and also build a trusted alliance between fisherman and the DFW which is there to help in keeping those resources available for future generations. I am writing this letter to share some out of the box solutions that will be fair to all involved and benefit the fishery. Fair, meaning that no one is 100% happy, but at least accepting of what is being offered. I have put together some “ideas" that may help remove some of the current mistrust out there among all groups involved, promote a healthy and thriving fishing environment, and encourage a "hands on" approach (in some cases) for folks to directly help in managing our resources. Thank you again for your time.

Abalone Recovery Proposal: The idea is to promote the recovery of the kelp beds and Kelp growth in order to repair the feeding grounds that were lost when the starfish die off occurred a few years back. This die off caused a huge population surge in the purple urchin along the Sonoma and Mendocino Coast. This surge also contributed to massive areas and normal abalone feeding grounds to be consumed and decimated by sea urchins., Resulting in starvation of the abalone. Closing the abalone fishing season is not going to help in restoring the affected areas to a balanced environment between the urchin and abalone. Even, as stated by DFW themselves, when the starfish return to their normal (pre-die off) numbers it will take a long time for abalone to rebound. The other suggestion that I have is for the DFW to work diligently with The Nature Conservancy and divers to create a new fishery management plan that is more realistic and not set up to be a"Cadillac" fishery.
I hope we can get the RAAC to ask the DFW to work with them on getting the FMP in time to be considered for reopening in 2019, which means having a final "draft" by June 2018. So, what I am proposing is a temporary 1 year urchin removal project. Basically what that entails is allowing divers to remove purple urchin (by any means) no limit on urchin harvest. I know myself and other like Josh Russo and groups like the Watermens Alliance are already working and raising funds for urchin removal. My other recommendation is to allow "citizen scientists" to help gather data, to revamp the survey techniques and use other info and statics to evaluate the health of the fishery instead of the standard generic index sites and transects that are used now.

Matt Mattison
Diver for 36 years and sonma coast resident and
Founder of Norcal Underwater Hunters

Matt mattison
kook

Return to California & Baja