White Seabass approach

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

White Seabass approach

Postby chris oak » November 15th, 2020, 1:22 pm

I was looking at some video the other day and noticed that probably 95% of the time, I see most of the big seabass from the front ie, I am either approached by the fish or else I am approaching it. I'd say I have them pass over me from behind the least.

I'm not talking about surface sightings, I'm talking about when we are actively hunting from below. What has your experience been?
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: White Seabass approach

Postby Dalton Best » November 15th, 2020, 8:53 pm

My experience is just not seeing them
Dalton Best
noob

Postby John Hughes » November 16th, 2020, 6:08 am

most of my experience from them approaching me from behind is I never see them. I just hear them spook.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 16th, 2020, 7:19 am

What’s a white sea bass?
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Trace » November 16th, 2020, 11:55 am

I would say head on, 10 to 2 o'clock, their level give or take 5' up or down.
Trace
sea sniper

Postby gringo sushi » November 16th, 2020, 2:35 pm

The last fish I saw was pretty much head on, haha

I don't see many but when I do they always seem to be coming from any which way I least expect...
Attachments
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » November 16th, 2020, 2:40 pm

I just see them on Corey’s deck.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby mikeme » November 17th, 2020, 9:50 am

Usually see them either from the surface, or swimming by me when I'm diving parallel to me about 10-15 feet away.
mikeme
sea sniper

Postby dctrjayyy » November 19th, 2020, 10:32 am

I never see them but I've been surprised a couple of times when they swim under me from behind as I am surfacing like they don't even give a sh!t
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby looknofurther » November 19th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Have you noticed where you have been seeing most of your seabass in relation to the kelp bed? Like in deep middle?outside edges or shallow or has it been all random locations?
Chris Watson
looknofurther
spearo

Postby John Hughes » November 19th, 2020, 7:19 pm

looknofurther wrote:Have you noticed where you have been seeing most of your seabass in relation to the kelp bed? Like in deep middle?outside edges or shallow or has it been all random locations?

Yes LOL
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Alex Ray » November 20th, 2020, 6:22 am

I think there's quite a bit of sampling bias in how frequently I see fish from my 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, at my same depth +/-5 ft, which has certainly logged the most sightings of any area of water around me. No matter what pattern I follow to "equally" scan the waters around me, that area gets double the attention of other frontward zones (once as I go L to R, and then again as I return from R to L) and significantly more than the water behind me. Theoretically, if fish distribution around me were equal, I would see double the fish in that zone not because there's more fish but because I'm looking there more frequently. Some of the more stand-out memories I have of fish I've shot are when I listen to my gut and uncharacteristically look directly behind me to see a fish drafting off my fins, or roll over to see one passing directly in front of me but 10 feet up.

As for location in the beds, I agree with Hughes. Yes Look Oll L'over. I'll say this in regard to hunting seabass: after doing this pretty seriously for over a decade now there is no longer method, only madness.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
kook

Postby John Hughes » November 20th, 2020, 6:30 am

Alex's post above reminded me of something. That old crusty dog Señor Baker told a story once about one of his dive partners always sneaking up behind him and scaring him in a bed. Because of this, he was always looking over his shoulder and he started shooting more fish. Since then I've committed to scanning the water more (ie behind me like I do with yellows) and I've been surprised at how many fish I see back there.

Seabass are more curious than you think.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 20th, 2020, 11:12 am

John Hughes wrote:Alex's post above reminded me of something. That old crusty dog Señor Baker told a story once about one of his dive partners always sneaking up behind him and scaring him in a bed. Because of this, he was always looking over his shoulder and he started shooting more fish. Since then I've committed to scanning the water more (ie behind me like I do with yellows) and I've been surprised at how many fish I see back there.

Is this just more misdirection by Nate? I'm pretty sure that years ago in a Spearboard discussion, I said that I like to hang motionless on a piece of kelp and scan back and forth, and he replied that moving your head spooked them.

Now I know why I haven't been seeing fish for years.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Nate Baker » November 23rd, 2020, 3:25 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:
John Hughes wrote:Alex's post above reminded me of something. That old crusty dog Señor Baker told a story once about one of his dive partners always sneaking up behind him and scaring him in a bed. Because of this, he was always looking over his shoulder and he started shooting more fish. Since then I've committed to scanning the water more (ie behind me like I do with yellows) and I've been surprised at how many fish I see back there.

Is this just more misdirection by Nate? I'm pretty sure that years ago in a Spearboard discussion, I said that I like to hang motionless on a piece of kelp and scan back and forth, and he replied that moving your head spooked them.

Now I know why I haven't been seeing fish for years.

While I don't remember the specific discussion, that sounds like something I'd say, although it's more of a personal thing. My usual MO for years was to swim along at a shallow neutral depth and see what I'd come across. When looking straight ahead, if I turned my head to the side my suit would rub against itself at the back of my neck. The scraping noise would spook them. So, I would just kind of roll my whole body slowly from side to side. But I also know some super accomplished wsb guys who preach the opposite and say to keep your head on a swivel.

I should also say I've had to abandon that technique, because I'm so crusty and old I no longer have enough range of motion in my neck to see what's directly in front of me. It's been a bit of a struggle lately.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, I once had a blue whale, the largest animal to ever live, sneak up behind me to within 20 feet -- in open ocean. While I was looking for it. So I'm not sure how much credibility I have.
Nate Baker
sea sniper

Return to California & Baja