Neptonics/Hatch gun review

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Neptonics/Hatch gun review

Postby John Hughes » September 9th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Some of you know I'm a dedicated Mori gun guy. I actually have a 67" in the works to add to my 55 and 62". I don't like to tweak my guns when I get them because I don't have the time or the skill. I like to have the guns be perfect when I get them and get right to business with them. I could go on and on with all that, but I won't.

I've been looking for a gun that I can take confident 20' shots in the blue water with, which is why I'm having the 67" made. In the meantime, I came up on one of these Neptonics/Hatch guns. From what I understand, Jerry at Neptonics designed this gun and just had Hatch make the first round of stocks. It's basically an all Neptonics gun and all Neptonics parts. I got the biggest size they make it in which is 65" because I needed a blue water gun for sketchy yellows etc... My original intention was to get this gun to get me through till my Mori was finished and then probably dump it. This gun has really surprised me.

On first inspection in the shop the gun seemed well made and clean with no apparent blems or resin splashes. When I first picked it up the stock seemed super thin and light for a gun that long. It is a rear handled gun and has the AR 15 handle on it which I've never used before. I figured this thing was just going to be a big long stick in the water and I also figured with 3 5/8 bands it was going to kick like a mule since it didn't have alot of meat. I usually shoot mid handles but have a RA 130 I'm used to shooting and have no problem switching back and forth. Having that long of a gun as a rear handle I assumed this thing would be a bitch to track and aim on a fish. I have to say I was fairly surprised on all these assumptions.

I've dove with it a total of 4 times now and am already convinced I'll never sell it. The first day out I never saw a fish and just got to swim around with it. It's extremely light and easy to swim with whether holding it mid barrel or holding it by the handle upside down by my waist. I figured the current would be blowing it all around but because it's so thin but it doesn't seem to affect it much. I was a little surprised that day and I never even fired it. Day two was a rough day at Cat. No current all day and although we had a few sightings, the fish definately didn't want to play. Vis was 40+. I had had a few sightings and couldn't get the fish within 30' no matter what games I played. Finally, I had a school come in behind me while I was down at around 35'. By the time I turned and saw them they were already headed out and down. I wasn't going to get a better chance that day and although I knew they were too far out I figured I'd test the range and pull the trigger. I extended and pointed as I'm not a guy that aims and to my great surprise, I actually connected. I absolutely couldn't believe it as I figured that fish was a good 22-23' out from the tip of the gun. With my arm and the gun extended that fish was probably 30' away from me. I was shooting down with a 5/16 shaft so I'm certain that helped some and to be honest, the tip just barely poked out the other side of the fish and toggled inside. Range confirmed, that gun will definitely take and land a 20' shot.

Here's the fish from that day and hours later you can tell I'm still surprised. LOL

Day three was down in Baja hunting grouper and I never saw a fish but again was surprised at how well the gun was swimming around. Day four was hunting yellows and by now I was already happy and confident with my equipment and knew that anything I saw was going to die. That's the kind of feeling I like to have with my speargun :) I was doing drops on the upcurent edge of a kelp bed and since yellows are constantly coming up behind me I was turning every now and again for a peek. On one of the turns, a late season seabass had come out of the kelp to look at me or the CDs I wear on my stringer and was slowly turning to head back into the bed. I slowly turned, leveled, extended and took a 15-18' shot and put the shaft right where I pointed. The fish took off under the diagonal stringers and I just let it go knowing the shot was solid. I didn't actually see it hit but already had that much confidence in the gun. When I dug it out off the bottom and got it to the surface it was right where I imagined pointing the gun.

Here's a picture of the second trigger pull on this gun.

I haven't even noticed or thought about the recoil yet which tells me it doesn't have much if any. The thing swims like a dream and shoots true at 18-20'. I haven't been in extremely strong current with it yet but so far it doesn't blow around when extended like I thought it would. I really like that AR 15 handle and feel confident with the Neptonics parts. About the only negative thing I can say about it is it has a very light coat of oil on it and in a few short trips it's already getting some scratches and scrapes. If you like your guns perty you might want to varnish it or something but if you're of the Nate Baker school of thought like me you use it like a tool and let it look like driftwood :)

I'm super stoked on this gun which is why I'm writing the review up as I haven't seen too many people with these yet. I'm in no way affiliated with Neptonics. I know on their website Josh makes the claim to the tune of something like "the first time I borrowed this gun off a friend I bought it from him that day". I wasn't sure if I believed that when I read it but I do now. This gun is well made and shoots like a dream. Anybody who dives with me is welcome to try it out or you can get one and see for yourself. For this guy, I'm convinced this gun will be staying in the arsenal.

Here's a few more shots of the gun on my couch when I brought it home. I rigged it with the big Ulusub reel which I've been really impressed with myself and may do a whole other review on. It's a deadly combination for sure.

Attachments
John Hughes
cupcake

Re: Neptonics/Hatch gun review

Postby Trace » September 9th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Great review John. Thanks for posting.
Trace
sea sniper

Postby Schwaman » September 9th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Nice gun.
Another one of the california dinosaurs converting to rear handles like the rest of the world? ;-)
Just kidding, thanks for that detailed review
Schwaman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 10th, 2016, 5:25 am

Schwaman wrote:Nice gun.
Another one of the california dinosaurs converting to rear handles like the rest of the world? ;-)
Just kidding, thanks for that detailed review

LOL, even in my old age I try and keep an open mind :) Trying this gun has definitely made me rethink having all that wood to limit recoil on bigger model guns :rolls:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 10th, 2016, 8:54 am

When he brought that gun on my boat my first impression was that skinny thing was going to kick like a mule with those three bands. It seems as if everything I know about guns is wrong.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » September 10th, 2016, 9:04 am

Awesome write up John, do you think it shoots more like a railgun or is more like your mori? I know exactly where my mori's shoot but man everytime I pick up a railgun nowadays it takes me about 3 shots before I hone it in.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » September 10th, 2016, 10:47 am

chris oak wrote:Awesome write up John, do you think it shoots more like a railgun or is more like your mori? I know exactly where my mori's shoot but man everytime I pick up a railgun nowadays it takes me about 3 shots before I hone it in.

The problem you're having is not with the gun Chris. You're just getting so old, when you switch to a lighter gun all that quivering in your arms is making the lighter gun wobble around and throw your shots off. :rofl:

I'm only partly joking :) In all seriousness, it's a decent question. I'd say it's actually right in between. It is not quite as light as a railgun and I actually feel like I can track with it a bit like you would a bigger (more mass) mid handle. With a longer pipe gun there is almost no ability to track, you just have to extend and fire or pull back into your body before you re-extend and shoot.

I'm not saying I can track and shoot as well as a big boned mid handle, but I can more than I assumed I'd be able to.

In response to knowing where the gun shoots, I feel more confident with shot placement on my rear handles than I do my mids but that's because I'm not an "aim" guy. I don't have a problem hitting fish with my mids but it's always a little more of a guessing game for me. I imagine my rear handles like an extension of my index finger and I just point and shoot and if everything is kosher with my gear the shaft goes right where I'm pointing.

I think if you switched back and forth from your mids to rear more often you'd find the transition would be easier. Just my 2 cents.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby no bananas » September 10th, 2016, 7:16 pm

Really John? At your age, you could still load 3 x 5/8 bands? I am impressed :D :D :D

With all the kidding aside, your post (and MJ's "go to" gun) made me rethink my thought process on recoil. For all this time, I was under the impression that the gun needs a lot of mass to counter the recoil. Judging from both of your successes, I am beginning to wonder it may not necessarily be the case all the time.
Every breath is a gift
no bananas
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » September 10th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Studs like Capt Ron, John and Balta could shoot 12 gauge light frame shotguns with one hand, other guys need a freckin boat dock to fire a shaft from. All that matters is, can the hunter land fish and have fun. Than you have guys like Dam that could probably land game by hand. :bow-blue:

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby Behslayer » September 11th, 2016, 5:49 am

Recoil on a Rear Handle and a Mid Handle are two different beasts. You won't get very far with a thin Mid Handle.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby Avenues » September 11th, 2016, 8:31 am

Nice review John, looks like a quality gun. I wish rear handles worked for me, they seem more natural to shoot especially for blue water hunting but I just can't hit anything with them and I've tried a few different brands. Maybe it has something to do with my wrist strength. :gay:
James Grover
Avenues
sea sniper

Postby Donzi Paul » September 11th, 2016, 11:01 am

Behslayer wrote:Recoil on a Rear Handle and a Mid Handle are two different beasts. You won't get very far with a thin Mid Handle.

Love your guns but I disagree, I feel it depends on the diver. I'll post some images on a separate thread next week.

All the best, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
kook

Postby NaClAddict » September 11th, 2016, 11:06 am

Behslayer wrote:Recoil on a Rear Handle and a Mid Handle are two different beasts. You won't get very far with a thin Mid Handle.

Please explain? Is it because of the pivot point the handle creates?
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Behslayer » September 11th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I could easily be wrong, the way I interpreted some of our testing was that mass is as essential to a mid handle as geometry is to a rear handle. We can discuss this in another thread.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby malibujohn » September 11th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Ahhhh, I see a career as a comedian when you get tired of making guns John! That's some funny shite right there. :bowrofl:
My go to and ONLY gun is 1 1/2 wide by 1 3/4 high by 60 inches. Shoots 3 Three bands and is a, drum roll please............... Midhandle. Gasp! maneuverability over mass any day of the week my friend!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sorry for derail-couldn't help myself
Last edited by malibujohn on September 12th, 2016, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
50+ club
malibujohn
sea sniper

Postby Landfish » September 11th, 2016, 1:17 pm

:eek: you mean people have different opinions on what they like and all swear by it? Sounds like golf gear.

I'm just glad that have so many great manufacturers putting out great guns and other gear. We are all very lucky. As far as keeping on pint here, it would be great to try that size hatch in the mid/rear that they have. Maybe it's the best of both worlds, or maybe I'll hate it. Saw one hatch model with a different hole for each band. Seemed like a great idea over the slot where they all bunch up that so many use.
Landfish
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 11th, 2016, 1:21 pm

I don't want to hijack this thread. Mike Hatcher is an awesome craftsman, and diver. Those guys dive deeeeeeep over there. I'll start a different thread where we can discuss the beloved Mid Handle.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » September 11th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Behslayer wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread. Mike Hatcher is an awesome craftsman, and diver. Those guys dive deeeeeeep over there. I'll start a different thread where we can discuss the beloved Mid Handle.

I'll look forward to that. As the sport and equipment evolves it's been really interesting to learn more about all these specifics
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Landfish wrote: Saw one hatch model with a different hole for each band. Seemed like a great idea over the slot where they all bunch up that so many use.

Do you mean like a Wong?

Excuse the titanium barrel, but this is from years ago when he started using those muzzles.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Neptonics » September 12th, 2016, 8:55 am

John,

Thanks for the feedback. We've been blown away by the Neptonics Amero and are glad guys on the West Coast are starting to see if for themselves. Thanks for the feedback and review, we'll take a look at the coating and see what we can do. Of course it doesn't hurt to give your wood guns a fresh coat from time to time. At the very least it looks good in pics. :) Any other feedback people might have.

If anyone else would like to check out the Amero drop by the store in Long Beach, we've got a couple left in stock. Or you can take a look online here: http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Hatch-Am ... arguns.php

And now for the elephant in the room. Is that a White Seabass in your pic, John? In September? Looks like a 40lb+ fish???

:greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange:
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby Washington1 » September 12th, 2016, 10:12 am

[quote][/quote] As a proud owner of the same gun I can attest to John's Admiration. The gun is a laser! Changed my game big time!!
Shoot Straight!
Malloy
Long Beach Neptune
Washington1
spearo

Postby dam » September 12th, 2016, 3:48 pm

What a dick, casually dropping a WSB on us... :o
dam
prick

Postby John Hughes » September 12th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Neptonics wrote:John,

Thanks for the feedback. We've been blown away by the Neptonics Amero and are glad guys on the West Coast are starting to see if for themselves. Thanks for the feedback and review, we'll take a look at the coating and see what we can do. Of course it doesn't hurt to give your wood guns a fresh coat from time to time. At the very least it looks good in pics. :) Any other feedback people might have.

If anyone else would like to check out the Amero drop by the store in Long Beach, we've got a couple left in stock. Or you can take a look online here: http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Hatch-Am ... arguns.php

And now for the elephant in the room. Is that a White Seabass in your pic, John? In September? Looks like a 40lb+ fish???

:greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingorange:

Don't change the coating on my account, I like my guns and cars and whatever else I own ( with the exception of my women :) ) to look beat down a bit so I don't have to cry when I scratch them. I protected my first Mori gun with a pool noodle every time I went on a boat until one time I ran it over with the boat :'( After that I stopped worrying about it so much :rofl: Ask anybody who rides in my Baja ready at a moments notice car. When they ask me what that smell is I just tell them "it's the smell of VICTORY" :romance-threesome:

If I'm going to give some type of a review, I always as honest as I can be. Some manufacturers may appreciate that, some not but I feel it's important to give good feedback if you're going to go through the effort of giving it.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby HEX » September 13th, 2016, 6:01 pm

I love this style of Gun. I own basically the same type of gun but it's made by KAP also based out of Hawaii and it's a freaking laser. I love the Hogue grip add on for the AR15 Handle, makes a lot of difference IMO.
HEX
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 13th, 2016, 6:33 pm

HEX wrote:I love this style of Gun. I own basically the same type of gun but it's made by KAP also based out of Hawaii and it's a freaking laser. I love the Hogue grip add on for the AR15 Handle, makes a lot of difference IMO.

Since this is the first AR15 handle I've used, I'm not familiar with the Hogue grip addition. Do you have a picture Hex? And why do you like it?
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Captscole » September 14th, 2016, 7:45 am

Ive been using the Hogue grips on my gun builds. They feel much more ergo-dynamic than the standard AR-15 grips. I have two open track guns, a 100cm and 115cm, styled after the Hatch Amero guns and love them. My next build will be an enclosed track version.
Attachments
Captscole
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 14th, 2016, 9:11 am

John Hughes wrote:
HEX wrote:I love this style of Gun. I own basically the same type of gun but it's made by KAP also based out of Hawaii and it's a freaking laser. I love the Hogue grip add on for the AR15 Handle, makes a lot of difference IMO.

Since this is the first AR15 handle I've used, I'm not familiar with the Hogue grip addition. Do you have a picture Hex? And why do you like it?

John,

There are a bunch off different handles that can attach to the AR-15 frame that screws to your gun. Back when Tinman was first adapting the frame to various guns, he asked me to take some measurements and photos of the cut-out in the Wong guns, ands he sent me three different handles to try out. I could pick my favorite (and pay for it) and send the other two back. I hear that the Hogue is very popular, but it had too much angle for me. With gloves on, the web between my thumb and first finger was pinched between the wood and the handle. I ended up keeping the A2 handle and putting it on a Wong. It appears to me that you have the A2 handle on your gun. The lower gun in the photo has the A2, and the upper gun has the Wong handle for comparison.

If you look up inside your handle, you will see a hex-head bolt that can be loosened to change handles.
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby squeakin'sinus805 » September 14th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Damn, sounds like my kinda gun! Thanks for taking the time to post a useful review.
squeakin'sinus805
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 14th, 2016, 8:32 pm

I appreciate the photos of the Hogue grip. The A2 seems so comfortable to me right now, I think I'll hang on to it. It's nice to know there's more options out there though. I see one of these handles on my 67" Mori in the future :)

those handles are just one of the things I like about the gun. I've been thinking lately if the 65" swims and shoots so good, the smaller sizes must be deadly. I may have to add one of these to the quiver for a calico gun later this year! Hee hee, I think I just heard a moan from the calico population..... :obscene-drinkingcheers:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby 32juan » September 16th, 2016, 9:30 am

FWIW, I tried both the Hogue and the A2 grip on my guns. I ended up liking the A2 so much more than the Hogue that I gave it to a friend with an actual AR-15 (he was stoked).

It's also nice that the A2 grips are cheap as they come, and come in a variety of different colors (if that's your thing :gay: )
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » September 16th, 2016, 4:36 pm

32juan wrote:FWIW, I tried both the Hogue and the A2 grip on my guns. I ended up liking the A2 so much more than the Hogue that I gave it to a friend with an actual AR-15 (he was stoked).

It's also nice that the A2 grips are cheap as they come, and come in a variety of different colors (if that's your thing :gay: )

You mean I can color coordinate my handle with my reel line!!??? I'm so all over that!! :gay: :obscene-drinkingcheers: Thanks for the heads up Juan. I'm so comfortable with the way this gun is set up right now I'm going to leave it before I start making any changes. It's nice to know those handles have so many different options though.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby 32juan » September 18th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Just for you Hollywood
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
sea sniper

Postby NaClAddict » February 17th, 2021, 7:25 pm

Necro thread. Sorry I’m bored and injured. Hughesy- what are your current thoughts in this gun.

Juan-aren’t you rocking a similar setup? For decades across the tropics hardwood euros were the gun of choice. It’s got me thinking about the classics. I know coreyf took a WR on my aluminum rob allen. I’ve been wanting to try a euro woody for a while especially the amero, super amero, or similar genre.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby 32juan » February 17th, 2021, 8:47 pm

I have two guns that are my daily drivers. A 59" Mike Novotny MAN midhandle, and a 64" Impaler BFG. The Impaler has the A2 handle, and the Novotny gun has an aluminum frame with wooden sidestocks. I prefer the A2 handle, but the wooden one works great too.

I am usually diving Cat, so clear water is common. Dirty water for us is anything less than 30' vis. Gotta be able to reach out and pole those wary yt.

I prefer midhandles over euro style guns for their maneuverability in the kelp.
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » February 18th, 2021, 8:02 am

I've got the hatch 55", its an older model that was styled like the amero but midhandle. Three 15mm bands, 5/16" shaft with mori tip, swings super easy and its my shoredive wsb gun.

The trigger mech was faulty from the getgo and I've heard on his earlier guns this was a problem. I took it to Neptonics, Josh happened to be in the store that day and he reworked it for me, this was when Hatch was using Hatch mechs and it was NOT a neptonics mech. Since Josh fixed it, I had no problems. I believe Hatch is now using neptonics mech.

I like the gun due to the lightweight for hiking down the hills, but it's no match for my 59" 4 band gil gun. I missed one of the biggest seabass of my life a few years ago because I was on a shoredive in super clear water, the fish was just out of range and I saw the tip touch the fish before it bolted. For dirty water, 12' shots it works great and I've taken probably 5 fish to 60 lbs with it no problem and two of those fish were stoneshot.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » February 18th, 2021, 12:45 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Necro thread. Sorry I’m bored and injured. Hughesy- what are your current thoughts in this gun.

Juan-aren’t you rocking a similar setup? For decades across the tropics hardwood euros were the gun of choice. It’s got me thinking about the classics. I know coreyf took a WR on my aluminum rob allen. I’ve been wanting to try a euro woody for a while especially the amero, super amero, or similar genre.

Sorry to hear about the injury and I'd like to know more about the Corey WR??? :)

In regards to current thoughts on this gun here goes. I've had my 67" Mori for a few years now. I'm basically down to just using that for tuna and anything else BW I just use the Hatch. The Hatch is just so much less effort to use in regards to weight as well as my shot placement being so much more certain with the Hatch. Again, that's because I never aim and am just a point and shoot guy but I basically got to the point where I could arch long shots out on fish and still hit them exactly where I wanted to. I've literally never had a gun I could do that with. I'm so comfortable with that gun I lost count of the yellows that died with it the last few years.

I will say I've had a few drawbacks with it. It's so light that when extended in a STIFF current you get some wobble with it. I don't think there's any way around that with a gun that long and thinned rear handled. The other issue I had with it was a few years ago and kinda pissed me off actually. I had been into the yellows pretty good at the islands one week. I went back out a few times and I started to notice the shaft wasn't sliding into the track so well. I'd heard of guys having their closed tracks swell with certain manufacturers due to the epoxy mix they use but had never had that happen with my Mori or Wong guns. Over the course of the the week it got worse and it was only happening at the tip of the gun. Call it the first 12" or so and it got to the point where I almost couldn't get the shaft back in the track after I'd take a shot. I also noticed the shaft slowing as it would exit on the shot.

I got into the big yellows really good one day out there. I literally had to put the back end of the shaft into the tip and then take a double wrap of shooting line around my hand and yank the shaft into the gun as I had the butt end up against my chest. It would take about all I had to get it through the section that was swollen. Challenging with a gun that long as yellows schooled around me. Eventually, the front section of track ended up chipping out as I tried to get the shaft back in. I ended up with 7 beautiful fish that day and could have probably limited had I not had to screw around with that every time I'd take a shot.

I wasn't sure quite what to do about it. I didn't want to ship to Hawaii where Hatch is located but I thought I'd call him to see what I should do and let him know something on his track mix might be off and see if anybody else was having issues. I actually reached Hatch himself. After explaining what happened, he basically told me it wasn't possible that his track was swelling. He then went on to tell me I shot a fish close up and before the shaft could completely leave the track the fish took off and broke the track. I took a deep breath before replying that I only use the gun in the Blue and it happened exactly like I told him. At that point he basically told me I was a liar. :nuts: :angry-nono:

I gotta be honest, I was pissed. I'm always willing to pay top dollar for a quality product, but even more so if they have good customer service. That is king for me. To not back the product and then on top of that call me a liar? I told him to F#*! off and hung up on him. And felt better :) I still had the issue to deal with though so I ended up taking a bezel to it and just sanding it down. It's worked fine since and is still my go to BW gun, even in the few comps I do. Super easy to swim all day doing up and downs with, has a 20'+ range and shoots like a laser. With that being said, it'll be the last dollar that guy ever sees from me.

Here's a few shots of the day it happened and the issue with the track itself.

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby John Hughes » February 18th, 2021, 12:56 pm

Here's a picture of the gun currently after the sand job a few years back.

Now.....spill
I'd ask you about your injury but I'm much more interested in Corey's WR since he's bound to lie to me. Show's you how sympathetic I am. :rofl:

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby NaClAddict » February 18th, 2021, 6:30 pm

I dislocated my shoulder while sleeping. Corey shot a WR coral trout on MY rob Allen 130 on some international jaunt.

I like gear but it seems like simple is often better. Really, a speargun is a complex slingshot. I don’t shoot as many guns as some people. I’ve basically shot one big gun for 20 years and have been thinking of upgrading lately.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 18th, 2021, 8:25 pm

NaClAddict wrote:I dislocated my shoulder while sleeping. Corey shot a WR coral trout on MY rob Allen 130 on some international jaunt.

I like gear but it seems like simple is often better. Really, a speargun is a complex slingshot. I don’t shoot as many guns as some people. I’ve basically shot one big gun for 20 years and have been thinking of upgrading lately.

while sleeping? :rofl: You must be getting old, maybe it's time to get a SMALLER gun? :eusa-dance:

I'll have to give your boy some grief if he didn't eat that fresh water trash.

Speaking of trash.....most of it I talk in jest of course. In regards to giving reviews I try and share my honest experience. That's mine on the Hatch.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » February 18th, 2021, 8:35 pm

He's talking about the tropical coral trout, it looks like a pargo but I think it's in the grouper family.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby NaClAddict » February 20th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Embarrassing as all get out, I know! I got clipped by a 10-12’ faced wave surfing 2 years ago. I think I subluxed it then. I finally felt 100% again just a few months ago. Then, trying to close a broken garage door at work I heard what sounded like monofilament popping crossed with firecracker in my armpit. No pain though. That night I woke up shifting sides to sleep on and it felt like my humerus was halfway into my armpit.

X-ray showed nothing. While waiting for my mri I went on YouTube every morning to try and reduce the dislocation. Success on day 3. Now I’m waiting to get my mri read. No boats, no surfing, no diving. Can’t work on the house.

I cleaned up all my gear, fresh mono on my reels. Gonna wrap a few rods and make some photo albums for the family.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 20th, 2021, 8:41 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Embarrassing as all get out, I know! I got clipped by a 10-12’ faced wave surfing 2 years ago. I think I subluxed it then. I finally felt 100% again just a few months ago. Then, trying to close a broken garage door at work I heard what sounded like monofilament popping crossed with firecracker in my armpit. No pain though. That night I woke up shifting sides to sleep on and it felt like my humerus was halfway into my armpit.

X-ray showed nothing. While waiting for my mri I went on YouTube every morning to try and reduce the dislocation. Success on day 3. Now I’m waiting to get my mri read. No boats, no surfing, no diving. Can’t work on the house.

I cleaned up all my gear, fresh mono on my reels. Gonna wrap a few rods and make some photo albums for the family.

Damn, that's super painful. Sorry to hear it. I hope you are up and running soon with a quick recovery!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » February 21st, 2021, 5:18 pm

John, you could repair the the gun fairly easily. One thing to look for in that particular place would be the Lower Line Guide Screws. Sometimes those screws can be pushing up. As builders we always predrill and think we have it right, but I've seen it happen where a screw will either push up a track or actually have the tip of the screw protruding into the track either where a Reel is installed or where a Lower Line Guide is installed. Another thing that can happen is that the Sharkfins can twist the shaft a little and create a ding, which then it happens again and can create a split. Anyways, If you want to fix that for Aesthetics, here's what I would do.

It's more complicated if you want the entire front end of the gun to be Enclosed Track. I'd pick a spot just behind the blemish and assume that is where you are going to open up the track. (Will be easier to load anyways.)

Get some G-Flex Epoxy. Get some clear packing tape. Lay a piece of tape in the track sticky side down you may want to put a piece of shaft in there just to get it to stick, then remove the shaft. Now you have created the inner walls of the Epoxy Dam. You can also use Tape on the outside of the gun and create an envelope or you could use something like Window Caulking putty to create some walls. I'm pretty good with the tape.. I can wait a little for the G-Flex to gell and then get it in there and join the Inner wall Tape to the Outer covering tape. In any case you just want to build it up. Let it cure overnight and sand it down or file it down. First rough, then down to 320. Then I'd take a Drill with a bit like a 5/16" and center it and drill through the Enclosed Track so it's a nice rounded entrance. Then I'd take a Piece of shaft wrapped in sand paper or a flat file and take down the rest of the Enclosed Track forward of the Repair.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 21st, 2021, 8:17 pm

Behslayer wrote:John, you could repair the the gun fairly easily. One thing to look for in that particular place would be the Lower Line Guide Screws. Sometimes those screws can be pushing up. As builders we always predrill and think we have it right, but I've seen it happen where a screw will either push up a track or actually have the tip of the screw protruding into the track either where a Reel is installed or where a Lower Line Guide is installed. Another thing that can happen is that the Sharkfins can twist the shaft a little and create a ding, which then it happens again and can create a split. Anyways, If you want to fix that for Aesthetics, here's what I would do.

It's more complicated if you want the entire front end of the gun to be Enclosed Track. I'd pick a spot just behind the blemish and assume that is where you are going to open up the track. (Will be easier to load anyways.)

Get some G-Flex Epoxy. Get some clear packing tape. Lay a piece of tape in the track sticky side down you may want to put a piece of shaft in there just to get it to stick, then remove the shaft. Now you have created the inner walls of the Epoxy Dam. You can also use Tape on the outside of the gun and create an envelope or you could use something like Window Caulking putty to create some walls. I'm pretty good with the tape.. I can wait a little for the G-Flex to gell and then get it in there and join the Inner wall Tape to the Outer covering tape. In any case you just want to build it up. Let it cure overnight and sand it down or file it down. First rough, then down to 320. Then I'd take a Drill with a bit like a 5/16" and center it and drill through the Enclosed Track so it's a nice rounded entrance. Then I'd take a Piece of shaft wrapped in sand paper or a flat file and take down the rest of the Enclosed Track forward of the Repair.

Thanks for the recommendations Jon. My first Mori gun I would wrap in a pool noodle and bring it around everywhere I was so afraid of getting it all thrashed. And then one day, I tied it off to the stern cleat in the water loaded and took a nap. When I woke, the boat owner wanted to move spots so I ran to pull the anchor. After hearing multiple "thumps" I realized it was my gun getting chopped up in the prop :greetings-clappingorange:

Since then, I don't sweat it too much. All the skiff rides and shore diving puts some scratches and dings in my guns and I don't worry about it. I just see them as tools for the most part. Special tools, and some I come to love, but tools all the same. When they look like driftwood, I don't sweat the scratches too much when they happen.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » February 22nd, 2021, 12:29 pm

Gun Builders take it personally when customers don't treat their guns with love. Especially with an oil finish it's so simple to keep guns in semi new condition from general wear. Anything on the top of the Track around bands is important as little things can become Big things with shafts, bands, wishbones moving around. Every spearfisherman with a wooden gun should have:

-small kit of G-Flex Epoxy
-Roll of Clear Packing tape
-40 grit, 100grit, 220 grit, and 320 grit sandpaper
-320 grit wet dry sand paper
-Formsby's tung oil

I've had some guns come back to me in rough shape. Propeller Strikes. Axe Chops from angry ex girlfriends, found on bottom after 9 months in surf, shot fish to close and shaft never left track, TSA Gorillas, etc.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 22nd, 2021, 4:33 pm

Try not to take it personally Jon.

I have two small children and treat my car the same way. If it's always dirty, I don't get upset when they spill their shake or smash their food in there. Also, I don't have to worry about a spare scale that gets in there in the 5 minute drive between the water and my house. I've just found it works better for me and I can spend my time and energy on things higher on the priority list like time with family and fish.

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby NaClAddict » February 22nd, 2021, 7:39 pm

My friend: What is this shit on your door?

Me:applesauce dries like that? :confusion-shrug:
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 22nd, 2021, 8:56 pm

NaClAddict wrote:My friend: What is this shit on your door?

Me:applesauce dries like that? :confusion-shrug:

My friend: what IS that smell??

Me: That is the smell of VICTORY :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » February 23rd, 2021, 4:07 pm

Little Old Spice and it's good as new?
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby John Hughes » February 24th, 2021, 5:02 am

Behslayer wrote:Little Old Spice and it's good as new?

Aesthetics are more important to some than others Jon. The gun shoots fine at this point which is the purpose. Also, you have to keep in mind the fear factor. The fear of trying to repair and actually making it worse which has been my experience in the past. Not only do I not have proper tools, but I'm not a master woodworker like you guys nor do I appreciate the project. What seems simple and takes little time for you guys would be a frustrating nightmare making the situation worse for others. Some people have gifts in building things, some have gifts in destroying things. Guess which one I am? :)

That's why I especially appreciate a ready to use, well built piece of equipment. Not only do I appreciate it but I'll pay more for it and do all the time.
John Hughes
cupcake

Next

Return to California & Baja