California Buddy Network

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Re: California Buddy Network

Postby rolobingo » July 16th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Hey everyone

So I'm new to the West Coast, and to spearfishing. Moved to San Diego this year. Just starting out spearing. Have a polespear, I feel more comfortable starting out this way as I enjoy a challenge, and value developing skills over catching fish; at least immediately.

Looking for people to go spearing, or just freediving, or SCUBA with (have all my kit and a NAUI Rescue cert). Mostly interested in spearing.

What I have to offer: A boat. 26' sailboat with descent motor. I'm down for trips to coronados, lajolla, wherever is good. Just keep in mind we have to sail, so it's slo-going compared to a power boat. Ideally you like to sail too, so this is not just a bore. I'd like to start off with some in-shore kelp trips, I know tuna is the shit right now, but I'd prefer to start small. I'm still learning my boat and these waters.

Looking for someone who knows the spots, and can teach me spearing.

R
rolobingo
noob

Postby spearomurray » July 27th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Hey Guys, I'm a spearo out of the Sacramento area. I've been diving north and central coasts for four years now. I'm looking for a ride or a buddy out to any of the channel islands for the day on Saturday (7/30). Open to leaving early and down to split gas. Paddy hopping, inshore, and light blue water (i.e., prob not tuna) are all options for the hardware I have. Would absolutely love to get into some yellows. Down to trade stories, beers, and fish. Shoot me a PM!
spearomurray
noob

Postby Jeff B » August 18th, 2016, 8:54 am

Anyone want to hit Caspar area this Sunday, Aug. 21st? I'll be up there from San Diego for a friend's wedding on Saturday. Shore diving for abs, lings, rf, etc. I'm a competent freediver with lots of experience up and down CA, haven't been to Caspar/Mendo area though. Shoot me a pm please!
- Jeff Barr
Jeff B
spearo

Postby glebius » September 15th, 2016, 8:03 pm

Looking for buddy this Friday, Saturday or Sunday in the Southern Cali. Got kayak. Drop me text to 408 508 8923.
glebius
polespearo

Postby JuanMas » November 24th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Hey all!

Looking for dive buddies from San Diego to LA or anywhere in between. I'm an experienced diver/spearo and handy on a boat. Always willing to chip in for fuel. I'm unfamiliar with the area but looking to dive regularly. Send me a pm and I'll shoot you my number :obscene-drinkingcheers:
JuanMas
noob

Postby dam » December 15th, 2016, 2:31 pm

JuanMas wrote:Hey all!

Looking for dive buddies from San Diego to LA or anywhere in between. I'm an experienced diver/spearo and handy on a boat. Always willing to chip in for fuel. I'm unfamiliar with the area but looking to dive regularly. Send me a pm and I'll shoot you my number :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Waitaminute... this isn't Juan's dupe account?
dam
sea slayer

Postby Magno » December 17th, 2016, 10:15 am

Loading up the yak and driving North early next week for a diving road trip. Looking for a buddy this Tuesday 12/20 to dive Carmel and/or Monterey, and Wednesday 12/21 for somewhere between Big Sur and Shell Beach, depending on conditions. PM or text if you'd be willing to meet up and show me around. I can reciprocate with some So. Cal shorediving or a sail out to the Islands. Thanks. Mike (661) 435-8579
Magno
noob

Postby JuanMas » December 20th, 2016, 8:12 pm

dam wrote:

No this isn't his dupe account, there can be more than juan of us you know ;)
JuanMas
noob

Postby John Hughes » December 20th, 2016, 8:56 pm

JuanMas wrote:
dam wrote:

No this isn't his dupe account, there can be more than juan of us you know ;)

lol

see what he did there Dam? He made a funny :bowrofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Andreas » March 9th, 2017, 10:08 pm

Anyone using this thread anymore?

I'm living in Nor Cal most of the time now and looking for dive buddies up here!

Also in LA half the time but working a lot. Would love to get out in the open water if you know what I mean Angelinos!

I can dive weekdays and know how to pump gas :p.

Andreas
Andreas
spearo

Postby Sir Rob IV » April 9th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Looking for a dive partner in So Cal Mon or Tuesday. If someone is going on a boat, I would happily pay for gas, help pull your anchor, wash your boat and make sure your are in the water first. I will also have my kayak if anyone wants to shore dive or yak dive. Little about me, was in the Coast Guard for 10 years now attending school in the East Bay. I usually dive Monterey, Sonoma, Mendocino area, comfortable at 45' range, and I have taken fii lvl 2 class. Thanks
-Robert Luiz
Sir Rob IV
noob

Postby scorpaenichthys » May 6th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Hey guys,

I'm moving to Mission Viejo for the summer starting June 1, and I'm looking for buddies in North County SD or southern OC to shore dive after work Monday - Friday. I'll be working a pretty predictable 9-5 and I won't know anyone down there, so I'm looking to make up for my impending lack of a social life by getting in the water as much as possible. I'm planning on connecting with a few dive clubs once I get down there, but since most of those meetings seem to happen towards the end of the month, I thought I'd reach out here, too, to hopefully minimize the chance that I'll have to spend the better part of June landlocked. I'm happy to drive anywhere within a ~30-45 minute radius of work (San Clemente) to dive, and I don't mind diving on extremely short notice (see above re: total lack of a social life).

I haven't taken a dedicated freediving class yet if that matters to anyone (hopefully will this summer, pending funding), but I'm familiar with in-water rescues from various SCUBA trainings (PADI OW, AOW, and Rescue Diver, as well as (now expired) DAN O2 provider and AAUS Scientific Diver certs). I'm comfortable to 45' on my better days and I have plenty of experience shore diving all over Northern California.

Also looking for weekend buddies in the area, but that's less of a priority since I'll be splitting most of my weekends between the girlfriend's place in the Bay Area and a friend's place in SD.

Thanks,
Andrew
scorpaenichthys
noob

Postby Dagger » June 3rd, 2017, 8:41 am

Hey all,
I'm new here after a couple of buddies told me this was a better forum. I live in the LA/OC area and started diving about 5 years ago while in the Military. When I got out, diving took a back seat until about 3 months ago when I finally established my business. Since then, I have become level 1 PMI Certified as I try and get back in the swing of things. I am looking to meet some new dive/spearo buddies. My business allows me 4 day weekends most weekends now so I am looking to start getting out at least once or twice weekly. My days off are usually Fridays through Mondays and I am pretty much down for the shore dives as well as know my way around most boats so, if your in need of a hand or some gas money I'm your man (You Fly, I buy). I'd also be interested in possibly working a boat if any jobs may arise. Please feel free to shoot me a text or call and leave a message at 562-665-5673. Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Thanks,
Dustin
Dagger
noob

Postby Andrewraffaele » June 20th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Hey there,

Dunno how frequently this thread is being checked, but figure I'd give it a shot since my most experienced dive buddy is moving out to Florida. My name is Andrew and I live in LA, was born and raised in Redondo. I grew up in the water and have been spearing since my teens. That said, I've only been free diving properly for a little over 3 years (after taking my FII). I dive with a computer and have a good gear collection, so ya don't have any rookie nonsense to worry about from me. I'm usually walking down the cliffs in LA, but would really love to get out on a boat. Will pay for gas for sure. Free during the week and am good for last minute dives.

Thanks!
Andrew
Andrewraffaele
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 21st, 2017, 9:34 am

Dustin and Andrew,

The fact that you can dive weekdays is a good start. I dive almost exclusively during the week, and lately I'm having trouble finding anchor pullers. A lot of my old regulars finally got responsible jobs.

I launch at Dana Point Harbor, so that might be a long drive for you. And I'm 78, so if you have issues with your grandfather that could be a problem. And when I'm lucky enough to shoot a white sea bass and it ties up deep, I rely on my young buddies to cut it out for me. Obviously that means that they have to interrupt their own hunting, so its something to consider. I tore off a nice one yesterday so no one had to retrieve it, but I'm trying to do better next time.

If you have any interest, send me a PM and maybe we can get together some time.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 24th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Hmmm? No interest.

Oh well, its good to get all the bad stuff out up front. Better to be warned than to be disappointed. :)
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby JuanMas » July 15th, 2017, 11:26 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:Dustin and Andrew,

The fact that you can dive weekdays is a good start. I dive almost exclusively during the week, and lately I'm having trouble finding anchor pullers. A lot of my old regulars finally got responsible jobs.

I launch at Dana Point Harbor, so that might be a long drive for you. And I'm 78, so if you have issues with your grandfather that could be a problem. And when I'm lucky enough to shoot a white sea bass and it ties up deep, I rely on my young buddies to cut it out for me. Obviously that means that they have to interrupt their own hunting, so its something to consider. I tore off a nice one yesterday so no one had to retrieve it, but I'm trying to do better next time.

If you have any interest, send me a PM and maybe we can get together some time.

If I was still on the west coast I'd happily sign on as your dive-bitch/caretaker :gay:
JuanMas
noob

Orange county buddies!

Postby martin.b » October 12th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Hey all, I'm based in orange county and like to shoredive orange county spots. I know a few favorite spots well and love exploring new ones. I spent a few years overseas and am back home and need some buddies to dive with.

I have medical experience, am PADI certified, have lots of diving/spearo experience.

Am looking for buddies to dive weekdays/weekends. I am flexible and am open to carpooling if you live in Orange county too.

I like beer a lot, ive attached a pic of me drinking some so you know I'm not a robot ;) :obscene-drinkingcheers: :ughjerkit:

email me at martin1337 (at) protonmail.com or PM me !
Attachments
martin.b
noob

Postby Sir Rob IV » October 22nd, 2017, 4:57 pm

Visiting Family and I will be down there Thurs-Fri if anyone is looking for a night dive partner in LA area. Little about me Fii lvl 2 diver, responsible and safe. Ill be Yak, shore diving, or if someone has a spot open on their boat. I will happily split gas, pull your anchor and get you in the water first. Thank you
Sir Rob IV
noob

Previous

Return to California & Baja