California Buddy Network

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

California Buddy Network

Postby patrick » July 11th, 2013, 9:06 am

I thought it might be nice to have a central place to post up our dive buddy requests, so I started this thread. Maybe date, time, and general location/launch ramp, and how many you are looking for? Details can be handled via PM I would imagine...

With that said, I am looking for one buddy for a San Diego shoredive this afternoon, going to hit the water between 3:30 and 4. I don't think this patchy light rain will result in any major runoff to be concerned with, so send me a message if you are free to dive!

Let me know if you guys like this idea or have any suggestions.

Thanks!
-p
patrick
noob

Re: California Buddy Network

Postby chris oak » July 11th, 2013, 10:09 am

Excellent Idea, but it might change once we get noobs on board :). I'll make it a sticky and see what happens, that way it won't get lost.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby CaptainLeo » July 11th, 2013, 10:45 pm

I'll be your dive buddy, but you'll have to wait until I get back from my hunt in Texas.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » July 17th, 2013, 8:41 pm

I'd like to figure out a way to trade/share trips on my boat to the northern channel islands with someone in So Cal/San Diego. I drive back and forth a lot to San Diego and LA and if there is anyone with a boat in LA/OC/SD that comes up to Santa Barbara/Ventura and wants to work something out - let me know.

For example, I think I'm gonna be looking for a crew this weekend - the wind is gonna lay down and the weather should be nice (and the wife and kids are out of town). Unfortunately the south swell will probably prevent me (again) from a chance to see some yellowtail out on the back side for the first time... (instead diving the front side of Cruz looking for those big silver tiger-stripey things that John Hughes seems to shoot a lot of...)
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Smudge » July 26th, 2013, 10:22 am

Well, I'm available as crew on a boat or for a shore or kayak dive Sunday, July 28th. Have gear, will travel.

I think I have good references. I've gone out with Bill and Chris and Daryl. If I made an ass of myself, none of them have taken the time to tell me about it! LOL

I now have the guns to cover everything from blue water to hole hunting. (None of the skill required for any of those areas though)

Hit me up if anyone wants to go or needs a buddy this Sunday!
Smudge
spearo

Postby Bakir_sonic » July 26th, 2013, 3:18 pm

I'm available as crew on a boat as well. I'm looking to go this weekend looking to score some yellowtail.

I'll split gas costs and help clean or whatever else is needed!
Bakir_sonic
spearo

Postby Smudge » August 2nd, 2013, 5:27 pm

Probably going to give it a shot from shore tomorrow afternoon. Gotta look at conditions but it'll either be SD or SD...
Smudge
spearo

Postby Scottyboy679 » August 6th, 2013, 11:54 am

Going to go dive LA tomorrow. Send me a PM if you are interested.
If it looks good, Eat it!

-Andrew Zimmern
Scottyboy679
spearo

Postby Scottywotty » August 6th, 2013, 7:29 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:I'd like to figure out a way to trade/share trips on my boat to the northern channel islands with someone in So Cal/San Diego. I drive back and forth a lot to San Diego and LA and if there is anyone with a boat in LA/OC/SD that comes up to Santa Barbara/Ventura and wants to work something out - let me know.

Brent,

You are welcome on our boats anytime! just let us know when your gonna be in town!

Scotty
Scottywotty
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » August 6th, 2013, 9:18 pm

Thanks Scotty. Same for you up here. Its always fun to see other Parkers. (And sometimes envy their sick fish tables).

If nothing else, I figure I can live off your scraps based on what I saw a few weeks ago. :-)
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 7th, 2013, 7:30 am

Scottywotty wrote:
SBH2Oman wrote:I'd like to figure out a way to trade/share trips on my boat to the northern channel islands with someone in So Cal/San Diego. I drive back and forth a lot to San Diego and LA and if there is anyone with a boat in LA/OC/SD that comes up to Santa Barbara/Ventura and wants to work something out - let me know.

Brent,

You are welcome on our boats anytime! just let us know when your gonna be in town!

Scotty

I'd like to second that. Just let us know when you will be passing through, or in the area and we'll try to get you on board.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » August 7th, 2013, 1:23 pm

I have been doing a lot of solo trips and am looking to put together a list of guys that have a schedule that would work with my quirky deal.

I have a skiff in King Harbor and head out weekday afternoons when I can take off early (usually at boat 3:30-4) and hunt til dark. I get out about once a week and usually know a day or two in advance of when I will be going. The catch is that I'm always subject to cancel at the last minute if a problem walks in the door or boss calls a meeting before I make my escape. I havent had to cancel but once or twice and it is more often that I get the chance to get out earlier.

If you have a schedlue compatible with that and are interested shoot me a PM or email
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby undrH2Ohntr » August 8th, 2013, 5:58 am

Great idea on the networking. I have a boat, summer off from work, and it's still difficult to find guys mid-week.
undrH2Ohntr
spearo

Postby TOPTUNA » August 9th, 2013, 8:23 pm

i go mid week if its good.
TOPTUNA
spearo

Postby Hookin » August 10th, 2013, 8:07 am

I'm usually available mid week. At least till school starts.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Georgia Boy » August 10th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Had crew bail at the last minute- due to late notice probably can't get a super early start but if anyone can make it work lemme know.
Depart shelter island
17' hard bottom inflatable - Honda 90
Need Mexico license.
Georgia Boy
noob

Postby SBH2Oman » August 15th, 2013, 7:21 am

Hoping to dive either LA or Malibu/Deer Creek/County Line this afternoon if anyone else is planning the same and looking for a buddy. Basically I'm driving from San Diego to Santa Barbara and want to get wet before the weekend starts, don't really care where it is.

-Brent
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Smudge » August 22nd, 2013, 7:41 am

Sooooooo, is anyone going on the Truth Aquatics/Worldwide Diving Cortez Bank Lobster Opener 4 day?

http://www.worldwidedivingadventures.co ... er-opener/

My buddy Dan(Chuam's little brother) is the charter master. I guess this is a trip that has been run for many years and when the weather permits, it can be absolutely epic. I've been invited the last three years but haven't been able to put the time and money together at the same time. This year I finally pulled it together!

Not sure how many spots are left, but if you can get on do it!!

Last year Marcus(Chuam) got a shot on a bruiser YT but the slip tip failed. Real bummer since it was one of mine! :(

In the past I guess guys have shot bluefin and big Cortez yellows as well as multi-day limits of monster bugs! I can't wait!!
Smudge
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » September 10th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Hey guys. I'm headed to my place in Gonzaga later next month to meet up with my mom and dad who will be there for a total of two weeks. I'm planning a Thursday to Tuesday/Wednesday trip depending on what my midterm schedule is looking like. Looking for someone to split up the gas cost with. Obviously it's all free once we get down there, with the exception of food and drink. We have a 14' aluminum boat which is fine for local spots, but if the weather cooperates and the coolers are low, we'll get a panga and head out to the islands. My truck is a Ram 2500 V10 4x4, a true Baja truck. MPG is usually around 11/12 on the highway, which equates to 150-175 a person. You can either sleep in the bed of the truck, bring your mattress, or sleep on the porch on a bed we have there. I'm fine with either one.

Hoping for an experienced Baja Spearo. I DON'T babysit, and won't hold your hand and give you my caves. FYOF(find your own fish). You better have the gear needed to take down some beeg feesh.

The only things I expect you to put up with me:
-Listen to Chris Issac Baja Sessions at least twice. It's tradition
-Put up with one (1) afternoon with me in the dumps. I'm spreading my best friend/dog's ashes down there.
-Only doing 55 south of the border. It's a marathon, not a race.

Please email me at ddonnell.620@gmail.com

Cheers-
Davis
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby SpearShimi » September 11th, 2013, 11:49 am

Do you have rough dates other than later next month - I'm a strong possibility but with family I need to plan accordingly and a bit in advance. Thx
SpearShimi
spearo

Postby davisdonnell » September 11th, 2013, 12:31 pm

It's looking like after the 24th of October, my parents have missed the last two of my sister's birthdays.
davisdonnell
spearo

Postby mrkill » September 18th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Ive got this Saturday to Tuesday off, if anyone in the Carlsbad/Oceanside area wants to take a novice out someplace easy and do some teaching, id be very greatful! If not no worries!
mrkill
polespearo

Postby Andreas » September 24th, 2013, 8:28 am

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum BUT I do have a pretty damn flexible schedule.
Anyways, I live in LA half the week and the other half I'm probably surfing/trying to dive out of OC.

I don't have much diving experience, but I do have water experience (i.e. swimming/surfing/sailing/fishing/walking on water*).
Anyways, lobster season is coming up and I don't dive alone...

Let me know if you wanna make a new diving buddy. Chances are I'm probably free.

*that was a joke.
Andreas
spearo

Postby scalihunter » November 2nd, 2013, 9:51 am

alright so here it is. I'm always trying to take my boat out and when ever i invite someone they either can't go or bail on me some times don't show up when i have the boat ready to go. so finally i decided i might as well put something up on here where guys actually want to go. i have a very busy schedule with being out of town monday thru friday for work, and having a newborn 2 month old boy. So when i decide to end up going or fined out i can go its usually the night before or a couple nights. All I'm asking for is you can actually dive and not just splash around, help wash the boat and depending on where we go a few $$ not looking for much just split it evenly. pm me if interested
scalihunter
polespearo

Postby SBH2Oman » November 2nd, 2013, 11:47 am

scalihunter wrote:alright so here it is. I'm always trying to take my boat out and when ever i invite someone they either can't go or bail on me some times don't show up when i have the boat ready to go. so finally i decided i might as well put something up on here where guys actually want to go. i have a very busy schedule with being out of town monday thru friday for work, and having a newborn 2 month old boy. So when i decide to end up going or fined out i can go its usually the night before or a couple nights. All I'm asking for is you can actually dive and not just splash around, help wash the boat and depending on where we go a few $$ not looking for much just split it evenly. pm me if interested

Dude, sounds like you have the wrong dive buddies! :) I feel your pain about traveling and last minute decisions.

Where do you typically launch? That would probably help people know whether they are a good match for your situation.
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby scalihunter » November 2nd, 2013, 12:43 pm

yeah sort of sucks. But i launch anywhere from dana to san pedro
scalihunter
polespearo

Postby Cgbeez » November 4th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Anyone want to dive LA this afternoon/ night? I just moved down here from Santa Monica and haven't been out yet. Let me know!
Cgbeez
spearo

Postby Protist » November 8th, 2013, 9:25 am

I'm planning on hitting Malibu early Saturday morning, PM me if anyone wants to join!
Sturgill Global Adventure Team
http://www.sturgillspearfishing.com
Protist
spearo

Postby Protist » November 21st, 2013, 10:21 am

I got an RA 90, now I'm itching to see how it shoots. I'd like to head to Santa Barbara on Saturday morning if Anyone wants to join me.
Protist
spearo

Postby Avenues » November 22nd, 2013, 5:37 pm

I'm going to head out to LA tomorrow around 9am, pm me if you're interested.
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby kelpbass91 » November 23rd, 2013, 7:29 pm

Available to pitch in on gas, food ect.

Have many years experience working on sport boats and a 100 ton license. I am pretty good with a knife and can scrub the shit out of a boat. Also have a pair of gyro-stabillized binoculars for those paddy-hopping days.
No references on this forum, got a few on spearboard.
kelpbass91
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 23rd, 2013, 8:50 pm

kelpbass91 wrote:Available to pitch in on gas, food ect.

Have many years experience working on sport boats and a 100 ton license. I am pretty good with a knife and can scrub the shit out of a boat. Also have a pair of gyro-stabillized binoculars for those paddy-hopping days.
No references on this forum, got a few on spearboard.

That's OK, we won't hold it against you. :)

I'll admit that I look at Spearboard almost every day. I'll also admit that I slow down on the freeway when I pass a horrible wreck.

But today was really special. I saw four or five threads that were so frigging bad that I couldn't believe even Tony thought they could be good for his board. I suppose that he must have decided that with most of the quality gone, he should tolerate damn near anything that will increase quantity.

But anyway , I hope you get a ride. I'm not into lobster so I take the winter off. But if I survive until late February or early March when the tanker wsb return, maybe you could come along and help me weigh and take photos of Dam's and Joel's fish.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby kelpbass91 » November 24th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Thanks bill, your absence over there has not gone un-noticed. I would love to do some seabass diving when the season comes around.
kelpbass91
noob

Postby Protist » November 25th, 2013, 9:09 am

Headed to a spot between ventura and SB, let me know if you'd like to join!
Protist
spearo

Postby Bamz » December 1st, 2013, 6:21 pm

OC or LA this week. Day or night. anyone free?
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Avenues » December 3rd, 2013, 3:12 pm

Bamz wrote:OC or LA this week. Day or night. anyone free?

Scott or anyone else, I'm looking for someone to dive with Friday morning around 9:30 or 10 in the LA area. Any takers? I'm open to travel a bit too.
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby Bamz » December 3rd, 2013, 3:43 pm

Avenues- pm sent
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Andreas » December 6th, 2013, 9:13 pm

Hey anyone want to dive Malibu Tomorrow?

-Andreas
Andreas
spearo

Postby Erizo » December 9th, 2013, 10:58 pm

I am hoping that this is an appropriate spot to extend and invitation to any fellow Spearo who lives in the San Diego North County area who is looking for other divers to socialize and go diving with.
We recently stablished a group called SD NC Waterdogs. haha..just by reading the name you can tell we don't take ourselves too serious. But, we are going to be filtering participation pretty soon based on folks with good attitude and a sense of responsibility for our resources and the sport. No politics, just fun, drinking, shooting fish and some trips.
If you are remotely interested or want to check us out, please stop by, we meet the second tuesday of every month at 7pm at O'Sullivans Irish pub and restaurant in Carlsbad.
Erizo
polespearo

Postby tomnestojko » December 17th, 2013, 11:06 pm

Hiya. I've got some time off of work coming up, hoping to get my fins in the water more.

Looking for dive buddies... The guys I have been diving with this lobster season have wives and kids, they can't always meet me up when I want to go swimmin.

I frequent the LA area, as I grew up around there and I know the coves well. However, I live in Long Beach so OC is easy to reach. I have brothers who live in SD also, so even outta my county is somethin I am open to.

Anyone want to dive w me in LA this week Dec 18-Dec 22 or in SD after Xmas Dec 26-Dec 29, PM and let me know :)
tomnestojko
noob

Postby Andreas » December 19th, 2013, 11:32 am

tomnestojko wrote:Hiya. I've got some time off of work coming up, hoping to get my fins in the water more.

Looking for dive buddies... The guys I have been diving with this lobster season have wives and kids, they can't always meet me up when I want to go swimmin.

I frequent the LA area, as I grew up around there and I know the coves well. However, I live in Long Beach so OC is easy to reach. I have brothers who live in SD also, so even outta my county is somethin I am open to.

Anyone want to dive w me in LA this week Dec 18-Dec 22 or in SD after Xmas Dec 26-Dec 29, PM and let me know :)

Ok let's do it!

email me.

abatcort@gmail.com
Andreas
spearo

Postby Ocspearfishur84 » February 3rd, 2014, 5:27 am

So cal dive buddy
Looking forward to the upcoming season and hoping to link up with some experienced divers in SoCal that have boats able to run to northern Channel Islands (rosa and cruz) or hit coronados and sci (sd based). I have a 32 ft striper twin outboards based in Newport harbor that is fully equipped with hot water, 4beds, fish holds, tuna tower etc, holds 4 divers very comfortably and am capable of hitting Catalina and Sci for multi day trips but for economic purposes want to link up with divers both north and south of here. My hopes are we can exchange spots on our boat (of course pitching in for our fair share of expenses) in order to chase fish around depending on the time of season and target species making it economical for all involved. I think we all know that feeling of hearing the fishing is going off just out of our normal range and wish we were located somewhere else for the time being. I have fishdope and am connected in my area so I'm typically aware of conditions and where the fish are located. If you think you would be interested and can contribute shoot me a text or pm
Grant 714-851-2707
Ocspearfishur84
spearo

Postby Profishent » February 4th, 2014, 9:52 am

Finally over this cold, gonna head down south and go for a quick dive after work today to mess around with my gopro. Anyone up for a dive? Shoot me a pm
Tom Marcoux
Profishent
spearo

Postby Fishja » February 6th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Taking my kayak out to the SD kelp on Saturday morning bright and early (assuming this rain dies down). I usually take it by myself but if anyone is in interested in going i have an extra seat. Gunna look for WSB for a little bit and if nothing is near Ill find some Calicos and sheepshead to gyotaku. 808-722-7843

Aloha
James
Fishja
spearo

Postby Profishent » February 10th, 2014, 6:11 pm

Getting in the water tomorrow morning, probably going to be diving somewhere in the OC...maybe LA pending conditions. Hit me up if your interested
Tom Marcoux
Profishent
spearo

Postby Pierreyaldo » February 15th, 2014, 10:44 am

I can shore/kayak dive SD/ San diego pretty much any morning (mondays and weds are a little harder).
PM me if you want to go out any morning
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby Protist » February 22nd, 2014, 10:29 pm

anyone wanna dive malibu or santa barbara tomorrow?
Protist
spearo

Postby Hookin » March 11th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Im looking at going for a morning dive Thursday 3/13 in the Long Beach to Malibu area if anyone is interested.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby kelpbass91 » March 17th, 2014, 6:06 pm

Looking to hop on a boat any days on the weekend. I have cash and am more than happy to do any bitch work that is needed. Send me a text (760)-583-0025 or pm if anybody needs somebody to split costs.
Thanks,
Jason
kelpbass91
noob

Postby mrkill » March 21st, 2014, 1:18 pm

Ill second that. Also looking for a dive buddy this weekend. Either morning, shoot me a PM.
mrkill
polespearo

Next

Return to California & Baja