Gringo in Mita!

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Gringo in Mita!

Postby malibujohn » August 5th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Finally! After years of talking and dreaming, we made it. As I sit here today looking out at bandaras bay I still can't believe it. I also want to thank God for helping me along the way, because I needed it! Without a doubt the most harrowing two days of my life!!! More on that later. :eek: Am done washing the road grime off my boat and trailer, got all my paperwork in order and am putting the boat in a slip at la Cruz Marina on Monday!! For now it's paddle boarding, working on flashers and readying my gear. II am so blessed to be here with my beautiful girl and to be alive!! You guys know where to reach me!! ;)
malibujohn
kook

Re: Gringo in Mita!

Postby no bananas » August 5th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Congrats MJ.
Every breath is a gift
no bananas
spearo

Postby Craig Heller » August 5th, 2017, 3:09 pm

Congrats John :obscene-drinkingcheers: ! Mita is an awesome place!
Craig Heller
spearo

Postby 805roy » August 5th, 2017, 5:21 pm

you did it :hi5: my hero....
805roy
spearo

Postby Westbury » August 5th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Congrats MJ!!
Keep us posted on all your adventures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Westbury
kook

Postby surfin009 » August 5th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Glad to hear you made it safe John! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!!
-Corey
surfin009
noob

Postby John Hughes » August 5th, 2017, 8:02 pm

glad you made it safely John. Take a few days to enjoy the mangos then go kill some stuff :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » August 5th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Yes! I'm so glad you've decided to share your new saga with us! That area of Mexico is fabled to say the least but unfortunately has faded from the limelight in recent years. I still hold it dear to my heart though, so any stories, experiences, anecdotes you have from that place would just be musics to my ears. I wish nothing but the best for you and can't wait to hear everything! :gay: :obscene-drinkingcheers: <3
dam
sea slayer

Postby Blue Man » August 5th, 2017, 10:51 pm

Best of luck in your adventures MJ and keep us posted. It sounds like you're going to need to tell us the details of your trip there!
Blue Man
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 6th, 2017, 5:20 am

Know your dreams. Live your dreams. Selamat Success.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby 805roy » August 6th, 2017, 6:46 am

O.K. any one interested, I have booked flight to p.v. oct. 31 to nov. 7 ,$ 105.00 each way, will be diving" punta mita johns boat" if anyone is interested to split some boat costs on those dates , call me 805 889 8508 , roy karnes, please do not answer me on this thread out of respect .thanks :D
Last edited by 805roy on August 6th, 2017, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
805roy
spearo

Postby malibujohn » August 6th, 2017, 8:29 am

Officially, there is no charter yet! Until we meet the attorney, get all papers filed and finish our visa process, I am all about learning as much as I can about the area and diving my ass off. I will tell you though when it does happen, I am loaded for bear with gear up the wazoo!! Riffe floats, gannet floats, tuna board, bungies of all Size's, 6 bluewater guns 67 inches and up, spools of cable and mono, and a lot of other stuff. Just grab a backpack and head on down! So until then it's diving with friends just kicking in for gas money!! Just p.m. or call for fuel rates. Adios muchacos
malibujohn
kook

Postby Bill Norton » August 6th, 2017, 10:32 am

Congratulations on your new life. When you get your charter set up, I want to go. Please keep me informed.
Bill Norton
spearo

Postby Pierreyaldo » August 6th, 2017, 10:39 am

alright! I want in too!
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby woody » August 6th, 2017, 2:33 pm

sounds amazing John. Keep us posted
woody
kook

Postby dctrjayyy » August 7th, 2017, 7:45 am

good luck man. hope to get down there sometime soon
dctrjayyy
polespearo

Postby db1 » August 8th, 2017, 6:32 am

Man that is amazing MJ! Congrats! Glad I got to dive with you once before you split. Hope to make it down there someday. Best of luck.
db1
prick

Postby Captscole » August 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

Bienvenidos a Mexico Juan
Captscole
noob

Postby BigJim » August 8th, 2017, 7:42 am

Best of luck down there John!!

Looking forward to seeing pics and reports of your adventures!!!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby no bananas » August 8th, 2017, 7:58 am

MJ now stands for Mita (Punta Mita) John.
Every breath is a gift
no bananas
spearo

Postby Logan » August 8th, 2017, 8:06 pm

John, I'll be down in Sayulita next week Th-Sun 8/17-8/20. You have a PM!
Logan
spearo

Postby kory bersuch » August 9th, 2017, 6:36 am

So epic, I remember you talking about this dream on the sand dollar. Congrats! That's a beautiful place.
kory bersuch
Fathom Spearguns

Postby chris oak » August 9th, 2017, 10:00 am

Talk about turning a dream into a reality, congrats on an epic adventure!!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby malibujohn » August 9th, 2017, 3:03 pm

Thanx so much you guys! It definitely took some hard work, and both, my girl and I were extremely focused and committed to making this happen. I mean, in all honesty, it is a no lose situation! Even if it doesn't work out, I get to go back to a beautiful home (which we leased for the year), a job I also LOVE as a a/c contractor ( don't love it quite as much as being on the water though! ;)), and then there is my girl, who is good either way! :handgestures-thumbupleft: Been getting up every morning and hitting the little right break out front, on the stand-up, after morning coffee on the deck. Took the boat out today for the first time, and went to el moro, as they have been seeing some 40-60 lb. yellowfin there. No tuna, but did see some pompano (small), and snapper. Then blasted to my first new waypoint, which is a nice high spot to 30 feet off the beach at Litibu , which is right around the corner from the four seasons. I worked the boat (drift diving) and let my buddies Adam and Pepe dive it, and they got a nice Mahi, which Adam took home to his wife and 14 month old son. First fish he has ever harvested, and he was SO stoked to bring it home!! I love that! Water temp was 87-89 degrees, although down around 60 feet there was a nice drop of maybe 3-5 degrees. Felt so good!! And vis was blue with minimum 50 foot, oh man, was soooo nice. Take care and next post of mine will be about the trip down. :ugh:
malibujohn
kook

Postby Freeryde » August 9th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Seems like you are pretty set up Jon. I'm sure I will see you down there as I seem to find myself down there a couple times a year lately. I would be stoked to get out to corbetana or el Branco again. You are one lucky dog!!
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby alashaman » August 10th, 2017, 1:18 pm

MJ you look right at home. So glad you are safe and everything is going as planned. Look forward to seeing you later this year :)
alashaman
spearo

Postby KelpChaka » August 10th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Stoked you made it, MJ. Missing you already. JB and I were just talking about making it down there to hang. That pic of you on the boat is epic. LTD living the dream. :bow-blue:
KelpChaka
polespearo

Postby scott diego » August 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm

Congrats John!!
scott diego
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » August 11th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Congrats on making your dream a reality John!

I hope to make it down to see you someday
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby mikeme » August 13th, 2017, 11:05 am

That sure is a dream place to live, and fish. Congrats.
mikeme
spearo

Postby malibujohn » August 13th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Well, it is absolutely dumping rain and the deep thunder is kicking in. Had remnants of hurricane Frederick pass through a couple nights back and Man! What a show! Lightning like I have never seen and rain that gave new meaning to the word "buckets"! It was so nice not worrying if a job was leaking! :eusa-dance: Was gonna go check the boat that night, and as I walked out of the house to my truck, a bolt of lightning crashed into a power transformer no more than 50 yards from me!!! The Clap of thunder was instantaneous and unbelievably loud! I could hear the crackling of the current and my hairs literally stood on end! Ran back into the house like a scared lil bitch, my heart was pounding! I waited on checking the boat. :eek:
Now, about that trip down. Let me just say that I have never in my life, towed anything near that 28 foot, 9' 10" wide, 8000 lb Whaler! I drove to Ventura boatyard, where my boat had been getting new bottom paint, bilge pumps, lower end service and windlass fixed. I had a trailer made to spec and had dropped it off a couple days earlier for them to set the boat up on it. I told them I wanted the tounge weight no more than 800 lbs. and they told me they had no way to measure the weight, which I couldn't believe.
I really had to know for my piece of mind and, after bottoming out my crane scale for fish up to 600 lbs. I located a place that rented commercial grade scales in ventura and got one. Good thing too, as the weight was at 1300 lbs. (also double spares and hubs up front). Ended up moving boat back 13 inches and adjusting everything. Whew. Now the fun part. I had my tundra 1/2 ton fitted with air bags to help, and had new brakes and tires installed the previous week. Pulled out really tenative and kept telling myself to go WIDE on the turns! Alright, 1800 miles to go! Trial by fire-I hit the road!
The trailer towed amazing and I soon began to forget the BEAST that was chasing me. The brakes worked flawless and the truck was a stud! Drove all night and hit Nogales at 7:00 a.m. Things got a lil shakey as I pulled across the border and the U.S customs guy looks at my rig and says I should have crossed where the big rigs go and 99 percent the mexicans were gonna turn me around. I said oh well, I aint turning this thing around and across I went. NO problemo! After checking my papers and raising an eyebrow at the 10 guns in my passenger seat, they waved me on. Yee haw!
I headed up the road for T.I.P's on the boat and truck and headed to Hermosillo, where my buddy was waiting to make the ride down with me. Soon after exiting Nogalas, I was going pretty good on a 2 lane road down. Encountered a slow moving Semi and went to pass it on the left. As I was even with it and accelerating by, Another semi came flying by on MY left, on the other way! Holy shit. As I looked into my left mirror, I literally watched the bumper which goes around the whaler, KISS off the trailer of the truck!! Yikes! I held on with white knuckles as the trailer got squirley, but the rig went by so fast I was able to drift away from the truck on the right, whom, I had been no more than 6 inches from the entire time. Welcome to Mexico! Pretty sure I didn't ease up on my grip the rest of the way. Met Pepe in Hermosillo and continued down.
We had planned a schedule that would take me to the halfway point just before dark, when I did NOT want to be on the road! Supposed to be the Zar hotel, which could accomodate my truck and boat, in a secure and guarded spot. It became pretty evident that we weren't gonna make it when I was about 100 miles short as the sun was setting. Now I had been driving 24 hours STRAIGHT by now and was done! We tried a couple hotels, but nobody had a secure space for my rig. Ended up desperado and pulled into the back of a Pemex gas station, IN SINALOA!! I pulled next to a couple semi's, grabbed a bean bag out of the boat, tossed it on all my gear in the back of my truck, and went to sleep! With a can of bear spray next to me! I shit you not! Pepe slept in the boat and was already awake when I opened my eyes at 5 a.m.
We got back on the road and were rolling when we hit some detours and construction. Ended up taking a quicker route suggested by Pepe's dad, Although all my warning signs were blaring "danger,danger". Stick to the main highway! We were making great time on the alt. route, when a federal Policia car went blasting by on my left, lights flashing. I commented how he must be after someone and a few turns later we could see him pulled over to the right with lights still flashing. I again commented that they must've got who they were after, but as we approached it was evident there was no second car, That is when both doors opened and the driver stepped in front of me, flashing his light for me to stop! Oh fck. We were in the middle of nowhere, in SINALOA!!! :eek:
I slowly stopped a rolled down my window. He walked up to me and just looked at me. I said "Hola, Americano, solo habla paquito espanol" He just looked (they both had dark shades on) and then gave a slight nod to his partner (whom had been leaning against the car, with a piece of straw in his mouth). The second guy walked slowly to the back of the truck and looked up at the boat for about 10 seconds. I held my breath and watched in the mirror as he turned and gave the first guy a slight nod,no. Then THAT guy turns back to me, smiles and sticks out his right hand. I slowly take it and we shake, an extremely firm handshake. Then the smile fades and he nods with his chin down the road. I ask him "go? and he nods yes and raises his chin again-NEVER saying a word the whole time!! I start driving and say to pepe " wtf? and he just says "drive"! I swear, It was like some quentin taratino movie!! Scared the shit out of me.
After getting back on Mex 200, we continued on only to encounter the devils best shot! No more than 90 minutes from our destination, the skies opened and torrents of rain fell, accompanied by ferocious winds and unbelievable lightning. I held on for dear life and every time I would slow, some crazy fck would pass me recklessly, diving back into the lane just feet from oncoming semis!! I drove in this for 20 minutes and after the lines in the road disappeared, I was using headlights from oncoming traffic to gauge my lane position, with the boat sticking out like a foot on both sides!!
Then, like a beacon in the night, God throws me another bone in the form of ANOTHER Pemex gas station! I pulled in and unpried my cramping fingers from the wheel and took some time to compose myself. I jumped up in the boat to find it full of branches and leaves and the hardtop and radar dome were stained and beaten by rainforest branches. I cleaned it best I could, removed a broken outrigger and finished what I started!! Thank God! :bow-blue: I really underestimated the drive down TOWING THAT BOAT! I don't think I would ever try it again. That road is littered with a thousand crosses and shrines to many who weren't as lucky!
People would ask me before I left, if I was excited about the move. with all that was going on, I would always say " I'll be excited when I am in my boat, headed to Corbatenia! I can't even tell you how surreal that was, when I was actually doing it after that journey!!
Well, there it is. With great risk comes great rewards-so lets just see what the future holds in store!!
Last edited by malibujohn on August 14th, 2017, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
malibujohn
kook

Postby malibujohn » August 13th, 2017, 3:26 pm

The rig!!
malibujohn
kook

Postby John Hughes » August 13th, 2017, 6:00 pm

You're a maniac MJ

I'm glad you're ok and made it safely. I've done some hairy drives down there so I can relate to having your knuckles on lockdown on the steering wheel. By far the most stressful moments I've had in Mexico is behind the wheel. I figure once you reach your destination you're allowed to get your mellow on. I'm happy you're proceeding with that plan!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 13th, 2017, 7:29 pm

Jesus, what a story! You've got balls of brass.

In the late 70s I towed a 23 foot boat to Mulege with my wife and two little kids. That was enough for me, but it was small time compared to your trip. We got all the way back to within a quarter mile of my house when the trailer tongue cracked. I walked beside it sagging on the street while my wife towed the last few hundred yards at about 2 mph. If that had happened in the middle of the peninsula, I'd have been screwed.

I decided that it had been irresponsible of me to take that trip with my wife and kids. Even though we had made it, I vowed to that I had learned my lesson and would never push my luck again.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby malibujohn » August 14th, 2017, 4:32 am

Don't leave home without it! ;)
malibujohn
kook

Postby chris oak » August 14th, 2017, 6:55 am

That is one of the most hair raising stories I've ever heard, I had no idea you were driving thru sinoloa!!! Glad you made it safe John, I'm looking forward to seeing all of the pix of the fish hitting the deck on your boat!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » August 14th, 2017, 9:59 am

God damn. There were so many points in that story where I thought to myself, "Here it comes... this is when shit hits the fan..." So glad that moment never came but rest assure, my anus was puckered the entire read. Man, you earned yourself some cows!
dam
sea slayer

Postby mikehb » August 14th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Vaya Con Dios Amigo! Congrats, Mike L.
mikehb
noob

Postby Blue Man » August 14th, 2017, 10:17 pm

Great write-up about the trip! I'm glad you made it safe.
Blue Man
spearo

Postby malibujohn » August 17th, 2017, 9:22 am

Found a great produce market up the street. All organic and all this for less than 10 bucks! :p
Also, first run to "the rock" Corbetania yesterday, and saw some STOUT yellowfin and a nice wahoo. No fish put on the boat, but that won't last long! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Attachments
malibujohn
kook

Postby Captscole » September 8th, 2017, 10:30 am

Any fishing reports from Punta Mita?
Captscole
noob

Postby malibujohn » September 8th, 2017, 10:55 am

We were getting some really nice Dorado on the trees that washed down out of the rivers. I literally could put my boat on the break and have 0 vis off the back of it with 50 foot blue off the front!! Was rad! I am actually back for 2 weeks knocking off some a/c work and will be going back the 16th. See you guys Saturday at the party!!!
malibujohn
kook

Postby Captn Ron » September 9th, 2017, 9:05 pm

cool write up John! Would love to try and make it down for an adventure!
i swim in circles alot
Captn Ron
spearo

Postby malibujohn » September 20th, 2017, 5:56 am

Buenos dias Amigos! Hit Corbetania yesterday, and despite inside the bay being green and murky, we were rewarded with 100 foot vis and BLUE as shite! Water temp has dropped to 87 degrees and we took a couple real nice wahoo and my buddy Randy got a nice barred pargo. There were a few other rod and reel boats out there that were taking yellowfin to 60-70 lbs. We didnt have any chum, but the wahoo couldn't resist the flashers. ;) Tons of bonito and small macks are on the spot and word is Blue and black marlin are moving in. Cant wait to have one of those monsters cruise by me, which they will!! Hope to get some grabs off Randys go pro and post em up later!! Adios muchacho's!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
malibujohn
kook

Return to California & Baja