Found a gun

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Found a gun

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 1st, 2017, 1:16 pm

We just out of the water at a south OC kelp
bed and my buddy came up with a gun. Doesn't look like it's been there long. If you can name the kelp bed and describe the gun, send me a PM so we can get it back to you.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Found a gun

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 1st, 2017, 6:39 pm

This is an eye opener for me. I posted this same thing in the OC Spearos Facebook group and I aleady have six replies, even if they were the wrong guns in the wrong spots.

So which is it? Nobody here loses guns? Or nobody reads this forum? :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby 32juan » September 1st, 2017, 7:56 pm

*Knock on wood*

I try real hard to not lose an expensive piece of dive gear. I have lost track of it once or twice, but not for more than a few moments. I guess I paid too much for my guns :)
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby Headless Hunter » September 2nd, 2017, 6:33 am

Umm.. It's wooden with a shaft. I lost it diving off the end of your north spot but it might have made its way all the way down to your animal spot or somewhere inbetween. Yup, it's mine. I'll DM my address so you can overnight it via UPS. :confusion-shrug:
Headless Hunter
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 2nd, 2017, 8:00 am

I'm glad to have this settled.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » September 2nd, 2017, 9:15 am

That's really cool and honest of you Bill. Since no one has claimed it I'll bring you a twelve pack of sierra for it, if the owner pipes up after that tell them you were kidding and keep the beer. Beer>Honesty
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Nate Baker » September 2nd, 2017, 10:53 am

chris oak wrote: Beer>Honesty

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Nate Baker
kook

Postby Alex Ray » September 2nd, 2017, 11:09 am

Now I'm curious about what kind of gun it is...reel vs floatline, flopper vs sliptip, regular vs roller, aluminum vs wood, rear handle vs midhandle...combinations are endless!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 2nd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Alex Ray wrote:Now I'm curious about what kind of gun it is...reel vs floatline, flopper vs sliptip, regular vs roller, aluminum vs wood, rear handle vs midhandle...combinations are endless!!

Suspicions confirmed Alex. You're a devious asshole. And besides that you shot my fish yesterday.

I may be getting too much credit for honesty. Jamie found the gun and he's sort of new to this stuff, so I just mentioned that it would be neat to try some posts to find the owner. I have more guns than I need, but he could actually use this gun, so I'm proud of him for having the right attitude. He's not subscribed here and he lives in Riverside anyway, so we decided he should leave the gun with me where it would probably be easier for the owner to pick it up. If no one claims it (legitimately that is) before he dives with me next week, then he has a new gun. It looked like it came straight from a shop and didn't spend more than a night in the water.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » September 2nd, 2017, 12:33 pm

Check Bill out trying to get my beer!!! I withdrawl my offer, I'll contact Jamie and extend my free beer offer, now pardon me while I return the sierra.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 3rd, 2017, 7:36 pm

The gun has been claimed.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Hookin » September 3rd, 2017, 11:13 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:The gun has been claimed.

It ends with a hollywood ending. Very cool of you and your dive buddy! I am sure the owner is also very grateful.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 4th, 2017, 8:52 am

I guess there is a lesson to be learned from the way the gun was lost. The guy shot a sea bass with a RA 140 with reel and flopper and tightened down the drag to try to stop it. It tied up and the gun was floating on the surface while the guy and his buddy hunted for the fish. His buddy found the fish some distance from the gun, cut some kelp, and swam up with the fish. Of course since the drag was locked the gun was pulled down into the kelp until it tied up. That stopped the guy with the fish right at the surface, barely getting a breath between swells. He managed to get the shaft out of the fish and dropped it, but then of course it disappeared down into the kelp again. There was a stiff current running and the vis sucked, so they couldn't find the shaft or gun.

So the lesson is- when you leave your reel gun on the surface, put the reel in free spool.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Alex Ray » September 4th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:So the lesson is- when you leave your reel gun on the surface, put the reel in free spool.

No, I think the real lesson is...stay off Billz spotz!!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm

That too.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Steve G » September 4th, 2017, 2:51 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:I guess there is a lesson to be learned from the way the gun was lost. The guy shot a sea bass with a RA 140 with reel and flopper and tightened down the drag to try to stop it. It tied up and the gun was floating on the surface while the guy and his buddy hunted for the fish. His buddy found the fish some distance from the gun, cut some kelp, and swam up with the fish. Of course since the drag was locked the gun was pulled down into the kelp until it tied up. That stopped the guy with the fish right at the surface, barely getting a breath between swells. He managed to get the shaft out of the fish and dropped it, but then of course it disappeared down into the kelp again. There was a stiff current running and the vis sucked, so they couldn't find the shaft or gun.

So the lesson is- when you leave your reel gun on the surface, put the reel in free spool.

And clip a float to it.
Steve G
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 4th, 2017, 3:48 pm

That too too.

Which reminds me, when the guy picked up the gun last night I was showing him my FRV, and when he saw the CO2 bottle he said "that reminds me, I've heard that there is some sort of CO2 float that you can wear on your belt." And so I showed him my Carter float and described all the ways that it can be used.

Its good when you can spread the gospel two different ways in one night.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby NaClAddict » September 5th, 2017, 5:12 am

Praise the Lord for CO2!!!!!
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby coreyf » September 5th, 2017, 9:09 am

clip a float before you ditch your gun.
coreyf
spearo

Postby dam » September 5th, 2017, 9:21 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:
Alex Ray wrote:Now I'm curious about what kind of gun it is...reel vs floatline, flopper vs sliptip, regular vs roller, aluminum vs wood, rear handle vs midhandle...combinations are endless!!

Suspicions confirmed Alex. You're a devious asshole.

Yadda yadda, already knew.

And besides that you shot my fish yesterday.

Wait, what? What did he get this time? :mad:

Good on you and Jamie. Even better that the guy got his gun back and learned a few lessons, albeit from Bill. :rofl:
dam
sea slayer

Return to California & Baja