Offshore HandL report

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Offshore HandL report

Postby dustyyoungblood » September 3rd, 2017, 11:31 am

Friday we found calm seas and water in the mid 70's several miles inside, and several miles south of Cats east end. Fished about a dozen small paddies with no strikes. However, we were seeing visible bull Dorado multiple stops. Having not been out all season I was surprised and happy to see Dorado in the zone we were at. Just circling around between a paddy and the boat. Would have been a great day for shooting. No traffic.

After hours of that frustration, we moved further SW to a tuna spot. At slack tide the zone lit up with fast moving YFT schools and birds to chase. It would have been difficult diving, but possible if you were fast and organized. We left for home with a 30lb and 20lb yft taken on cedar plugs. I rember seeing a water temp of 76 in the bite.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Re: Offshore HandL report

Postby Freeryde » September 4th, 2017, 6:03 am

Thanks for the inspiration I'm going to that area today!
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Zenon » September 4th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Nice.

Yesterday was a tough day.
Grabbed some bait in mission bay. Was surprised to see barely any trailers in the lot and no boats on way out. I knew the wind could be a problem but the small craft advisory was just a little spooky, so we stayed near the coast. The chop picked up and it was snotty. My buddy got seasick and we had to call it a day before 10. Too bad because it laid down to be an absolutely flat calm afternoon.

Maybe the storm brought some blue water in?
Zenon
spearo

Postby Freeryde » September 6th, 2017, 5:39 am

We got out to the 277 and worked our way back to the 279. Ran into some monster paddies with a few fish on them. Ended up with 3 nice YT and 2 nice Dorado. Also chased the dolphin for a couple of hours trying to get the tuna to bite. After breaking off 5 in a row we finally landed a small 20-30lb yellowfin. It was a little rough out but not bad on the worldcat. Almost no other boats around.
Attachments
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby rhyne » September 6th, 2017, 7:35 am

WoOt... nice to see some fun reports. way to go feller's
rhyne
spearo

Return to California & Baja