California Boater Card

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

California Boater Card

Postby Steve G » September 4th, 2017, 8:05 pm

Figured I'd post this in case some of you weren't aware. CA is phasing in new requirement for boaters to obtain a boating safety certificate (card). I'm old enough that I can out run the phase in for a handful of years but its probably a good idea.

http://californiaboatercard.com/about-the-card/
Steve G
kook

Re: California Boater Card

Postby SBH2Oman » September 5th, 2017, 1:16 pm

I'm very curious to see if this accomplishes anything. Given what I see from some hunters that have passed the much more rigorous Hunter Safety class, I'm not overly optimistic. Still, I applaud the intent. I wonder if they will actually include stuff about what a dive flag means.
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Steve G » September 5th, 2017, 3:28 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:I'm very curious to see if this accomplishes anything. Given what I see from some hunters that have passed the much more rigorous Hunter Safety class, I'm not overly optimistic. Still, I applaud the intent. I wonder if they will actually include stuff about what a dive flag means.

My guess is not without somebody or a lot of individuals petitioning them to include it. We really aren't on their radar.
Steve G
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 5th, 2017, 5:08 pm

I don't think they're ever going to get to me.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Big_Berg » September 5th, 2017, 7:02 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:I'm very curious to see if this accomplishes anything. Given what I see from some hunters that have passed the much more rigorous Hunter Safety class, I'm not overly optimistic. Still, I applaud the intent. I wonder if they will actually include stuff about what a dive flag means.

The rigorous hunter safety class is a joke. If you are not able to read they provide you with someone to feed you the questions. What happens when the hunter runs across a sign that says "no shooting near gas lines" or something. I whole heartedly agree with your point.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby Trace » September 8th, 2017, 8:20 am

Now we can get hit by a boat that's piloted by someone that's qualified to run us down. Much Better!
Trace
spearo

Postby sand flea » September 9th, 2017, 7:39 am

I'm not sure if I misunderstood these new "Regs" but it seems to me that someone can come on out and RENT a boat with no education required. (Maybe an out-of-stater) This is quite scary. I know that there will always be "That local guy" out there on the ramp that leaves us questioning our faith in humanity, but I've seen some of the apparent "Renters" at the launches that make me wonder if they will ever be seen again. It seems that this should be the target group for the boater education. Did I read that wrong or no?
sand flea
noob

Postby Steve G » September 9th, 2017, 5:55 pm

sand flea wrote:I'm not sure if I misunderstood these new "Regs" but it seems to me that someone can come on out and RENT a boat with no education required. (Maybe an out-of-stater) This is quite scary. I know that there will always be "That local guy" out there on the ramp that leaves us questioning our faith in humanity, but I've seen some of the apparent "Renters" at the launches that make me wonder if they will ever be seen again. It seems that this should be the target group for the boater education. Did I read that wrong or no?

You read it correctly. As with all things I am sure there was some politicking behind it. The rental operators would likely been screwed quickly by this if the law did the most sensible thing. This reminds me of a trip I was on to the East end of Cat. where one of those fine renters nearly backed up their boat, prop. first, into Mike Eberhardt. Super scary for the rest of us aboard the boat watching and yelling to these renters who clearly didn't understand a lick of English.
Last edited by Steve G on September 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve G
kook

Postby chris oak » September 11th, 2017, 7:15 am

That's not an isolated incident, I almost got hit by one of the red rental boats years ago and wrote a letter to the owners. They were very apologetic and said they would try to notify the renters of what a dive flag is. The boater card will hopefully open peoples eyes on a lot of things because most guys that run boats don't have any idea about a lot of things.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby mikeme » September 11th, 2017, 7:57 am

This is a pain, but we have to get a license when we drive, why not the same for a boat. I've been buzzed many times by our local fisherman who weren't renters, and once my dive buddy almost got hit (A COUPLE OF FEET AWAY), and lost his gun in the process. Big boat, and didn't give a damn about my screams to stay away, 20 feet away next to my boat. He came within 20 feet of our boat, with a huge dive flag full speed. It seems like the dive flag actually attracts many of these dumb asses.
mikeme
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » September 11th, 2017, 11:02 am

I've lain on the bottom hugging kelp and looking up after the whine of an motor went from "What is that?" to "Holy crap it's gotta be right on top of me!" in the blink of an eye. It was one of the few times I haven't surfaced immediately upon hearing the sound of a motor, and as a reward I got to watch the swath of a PWC cutting right over the top of me. Middle of the bed, flag up, the usual.

Idiots will be idiots and ignorance is everywhere even as all the information ever known is at everyone's fingertips. With the explosion of our sport it's only a matter of time before incidents become far too commonplace. If nothing else, requiring a boater card like this might streamline any litigation process. That's a dull, slim sliver of a silver lining to a terrible, awful black cloud I hope none of us ever has to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 11th, 2017, 11:05 am

This thing is bound to help even if its not a panacea, but I don't think we should expect too much from boaters being able to recognize a dive flag. I don't know about you, but I and guys on my boat swim hundreds of years from the boat if the kelp bed is big. A boat operator could see and recognize the dive flag for what it is and think he is giving us a wide berth, but have no idea that we were that far from the boat. We can only claim so much ocean with a flag.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to California & Baja