Last Minute Night Dive

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Last Minute Night Dive

Postby BigJim » September 7th, 2017, 11:46 am

Went with family to get pizza and beers after older daughter was done with swim practice.

Towards the end of the meal I said to my wife "you know baby, I was thinking next time I go look for halibut I should just go at night while you guys are asleep...I saw quite a few last time once the sun went down...and that way I wont miss any family time while I'm diving..."

Much to my surprise she said "that's a good idea, you should have gone tonight..."

Me: "well, I can...not dark until 8...you ok with it?"

Her: "sure, go for it"

:eek3dance:

Finished last slice of pizza and my glass of Sculpin, drove home and grabbed dive gear and headed to beach.

Viz was worse than I expected and water felt colder than last dive, but I was still hopeful...

Saw a LOT of squid which was cool, another school of mullet and took one, and eventually the mouth of a butt in the sand... :D

Didn't look very big but was confident it was legal (and it was) so popped it right in gill plate.

Looked around for awhile more but was not seeing anything else so hopped out and gutted and gilled the two fish, took a few pics and headed home.

Will fillet the butt after work and gift the fillets to a good buddy who has really helped us out recently with my wife having to move classrooms. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Think I'll try the scaled/gutted mullet on the grill this time.

Third butt this year and second mullet ever...stoked!!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Re: Last Minute Night Dive

Postby rhyne » September 7th, 2017, 2:00 pm

:obscene-drinkingcheers: ... way to seize an opportunity.
rhyne
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 8th, 2017, 9:38 am

rhyne wrote::obscene-drinkingcheers: ... way to seize an opportunity.

Thanks!

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cooked the mullet last night...did it whole instead of nuggets this time.

Gutted, scaled, head off (not really much meat in bony head as far as I could tell), slits in side, rubbed with rosemary infused olive oil, sprinkled with Tony's, peeled garlic cloves and fresh lemon slices in belly.

Did the same with the butt's head/collars and tail.

Cooked in nuwave for 15 minutes with one flip.

#bomb.com

;) :D

Mullet meat came right off bone and skin was awesome. Will keep shooting them if I keep seeing them!

Also got the little stones out of the butt! :p

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby kathy » September 10th, 2017, 10:05 am

This is really awesome!!! Little mullet are plentiful in central FLA where my folks live, and we love to visit there during the mullet run which is ~now through October. They are so thick in some places that they're like layers of oil coursing over the surface. We cast net for them and use them to catch bigger fish :) - there are also bigger ones that you can fry or smoke. But not this big!!! This must be so cool to see in the ocean and probably so fun to hunt. What's your tactic for these? Do you just lay on the surface? Do they school around you, or are you Diving to a depth to find these? Are there lots of them in the school?? Looks delicious. Congrats at finding such great fish and keeping the family happy too!!!! We love reading how you prepare and eat everything. Now I am hungry for fish, dang it!!!!
kathy
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 11th, 2017, 12:59 pm

kathy wrote:This is really awesome!!! Little mullet are plentiful in central FLA where my folks live, and we love to visit there during the mullet run which is ~now through October. They are so thick in some places that they're like layers of oil coursing over the surface. We cast net for them and use them to catch bigger fish :) - there are also bigger ones that you can fry or smoke. But not this big!!! This must be so cool to see in the ocean and probably so fun to hunt. What's your tactic for these? Do you just lay on the surface? Do they school around you, or are you Diving to a depth to find these? Are there lots of them in the school?? Looks delicious. Congrats at finding such great fish and keeping the family happy too!!!! We love reading how you prepare and eat everything. Now I am hungry for fish, dang it!!!!

Thanks Kathy!

The two times I've seen mullet I have just been laying on the surface and a large school of them has buzzed by me and I just popped one of the fishies in the school.

No tactic or skill involved. :p

I'll let you know if I keep seeing them...hoping to get out again this week once I recover from the weekend. ;)

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby PTandspear » September 11th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Trying to figure out this posting..
Last edited by PTandspear on September 11th, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PTandspear
noob

Postby PTandspear » September 11th, 2017, 6:32 pm

Nice work on the halibut and mullet! Man you are getting me motivated to get out there, never thought I would be tempted to dive at night in the 831...

I am thinking about getting out after work this week, and it looks like the swell is going up a bit starting Thursday/Friday; does this affect the halibut behavior? Should I make sure and get out before then?

Thanks for the report, always enjoy seeing some local fishing!!

Chance
PTandspear
noob

Return to California & Baja