Ling Cherry Obliterated

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Ling Cherry Obliterated

Postby BigJim » September 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm

Made a plan to get out Sunday with visiting New Orleans kayak fisherman Josh, a new guy named Matt who just moved here from Florida to go to the Naval PostGraduate School, my buddy PK and my buddy Bryan.

Bryan, Matt and I would dive and Josh and PK would fish from above.

$10 side bet for longest fish. :D

Viz was HORRIBLE inside but cleared up (a little) once outside, but was still pretty darn murky.

Whales all over and huge schools of bait as well.

Started at one of my favorite reefs with high hopes of finding Matt his first Ling in a crack I know.

Took a bit for me to get oriented with my navionics app, but after circling around for about 5 minutes I dropped my marker weight/float line right on the crack.

Nobody home in the target crack, but decided to spend some time exploring the area because it is a pretty fishy reef...

Took a few olives, Matt took a few blues and black and yellows, and Bryan worked on his equalization and getting down to the top of the pinnacle at 20/25 feet.

Right about when I was thinking it was time to move Matt pops up with a grin and says "Is this what I'm meant to be looking for?" and lifts up a FAT beautiful bright blue Ling!!

:eek3dance: :eusa-dance:

He found it chilling out in the open outside the crack! So stoked for him!!

After some high fives and hoots and hollers we head to another area closer to shore with more varied depths...unfortunately the surge was really strong here and made hunting shallower pretty hard.

I did find a decent grassy which I took...lol!

After we all started getting tired and thirsty we jumped back on yaks, paddled over to Josh who had a limit of blues, kelpies, gophers and BlackAndYellows and his first Ling!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

While checking out Josh's fish I see a familiar looking kayak with no one in it...

Paddled over and sure enough I recognize fuzz laying in the water...holler at him a few times but he doesn't hear me so I block his snorkel with my paddle and he about jumps out of the water. :rofl:

Chat with him for a bit and show off Matt's Ling, then we all paddle back to shore.

Once we land we have a few beers, let the tourists check out the fish, and take some pics ourselves.

Run into severel local divers, and chat with them for a bit.

Then some local yak anglers I know show up and bust out fresh salmon sashimi!! :greetings-clappingorange:

Matt's ling taped out to 33.5 inches and 15 pounds. Gutted and gilled it, and it had an empty belly and no eggs and still weighed 13 pounds after all guts and gills out. Super meaty fish!!!

PK and his buddy came in a bit later and they didn't have any bigger fish so Matt also won the side bet $$!!

Matt tried to give me the $$ for the hospitality and beers, but I refused...I didn't refuse the beautiful Ling fillet he generously gifted me though!! :hi5:

Matt and I both gifted Bryan all the rockfish we had taken. :romance-threesome:

Awesome time showing new friends around, and a quality chill session after!!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Re: Ling Cherry Obliterated

Postby Karma Trees » September 11th, 2017, 7:48 pm

Hell yeah Jim!
Thats what diving is all about.
A group of buddies enjoying the ocean and ending the day with a chill sesh.
Thanks for sharing the STOKE! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
blakeschilling@gmail
Karma Trees
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 14th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Karma Trees wrote:Hell yeah Jim!
Thats what diving is all about.
A group of buddies enjoying the ocean and ending the day with a chill sesh.
Thanks for sharing the STOKE! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Thanks dude!!

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby apneanaut » September 15th, 2017, 7:50 pm

That's a hell of a first lingcod! Looks like fun, especially eating that salmon :)
apneanaut
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 19th, 2017, 11:53 am

apneanaut wrote:That's a hell of a first lingcod! Looks like fun, especially eating that salmon :)

Thanks Bryan!

Went out again this Sunday with the same folks with the goal of getting my rookie buddy Bryan on a decent fish in shallow...he missed a monkey I found for him, but didn't miss the nice cab that was tucked in the back of the same crack.

I went back later and took the monkey. ;)

Also took a few rockies and a nice Rubberlip :p

Not super fishy, but stoking Bryan out was the real prize of the day. :eusa-dance: :hi5:

Back on beach had a few beers and chilled for a bit with Nelson Kwok and Kris Cortez and my buddy Wasen and his family.

Viz was 100X better than last Sunday and was just a beautiful morning to be out there!

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby BigJim » September 20th, 2017, 8:57 am

Rough/quick vid and two stills from the past two dive days...

Matt and his Ling and Bryan and his cab...

Bryan's scream at the end when he misses the kelpy cracks me up. :bowrofl: :rofl:

He's only got one eye so he has a good excuse... #OneEyedDrunkenPirate ;) :rofl:

https://youtu.be/amLDpPJcL8A

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Return to California & Baja