Hali+ Gyotaku

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Hali+ Gyotaku

Postby Freerange » September 12th, 2017, 6:22 am

Took out a couple buddies who are new to spearing a few weeks ago on the kaboat. After diving for about 5 hours and getting one his first sand bass, a nice fat 5 pounder and the other guy a couple nice fish we moved spots to get away from the deteriorating vis. After about 30 minutes of not seeing anything I wanted to shoot I spot this guy in a sand patch. It's been a while since I've hunted halibut and this was a total fluke, took me by surprise and I knew it was a nice fish. I got nervous about spooking it seeing as it was now high noon and it was hardly covered up in sand, rushed the shot and it took me for a magic carpet ride.

I had a rodeo getting it to the boat and we had quite the exciting ride back to shore in the wind swell taking on water and continually bailing to keep from swamping. 3 guys is for sure pushing it in such a small boat. Had a great day and a great haul of meat I got to share with lots of friends. Jim's recent post about night diving for halibut brought back a lot of memories of all the skunks I endured before getting this fish, my PB halibut and first one in a while. Taped out at 41", pretty stoked!

[img][IMG]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/freerange85/Hali_zpscphxp3on.jpg[/img][/img]

This was the 3rd fish I've tried Gyotaku on and I didn't have any papers big enough to handle it so I ended up using 4 panels. Lesson learned from the guy I have mounting it, he said it's much easier to use light cotton cloth rather than rice paper even though that's the "traditional" material. Obviously it's also easier to use one piece of paper rather than 4. Another lesson I learned on my first fish, use water soluble ink, the first stuff I used was oil based and pretty much would not come off the fish short of dousing it in turpentine. The stuff I use now washes off like nothing with a little water and dish soap.

[img][IMG]http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee459/freerange85/HaliGyotaku_zpsae2pkj4o.jpg[/img][/img]
Attachments
Freerange
noob

Re: Hali+ Gyotaku

Postby Alex Ray » September 12th, 2017, 7:42 am

Nice fish, and cool print too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby CDMdeepbreather » September 12th, 2017, 10:02 am

Nice fish, and the prints turned out great!

What kind of distances are you covering in the kaboat with 3 divers in it? Have done a couple miles in a small small zodiak with 4 divers (including gear) before...all of the hectic-ness definitely adds to the adventure!
Stoked to be here!
IG: @matt_blackwill_photo
http://mattblackwillphoto.smugmug.com/
CDMdeepbreather
spearo

Postby chris oak » September 12th, 2017, 10:38 am

Phewweee that's a big flattie, I bet it was around 25-30 lbs!! Nice gyotaku too, I keep forgetting to get materials to do that at home, I used to do a class for kids and you can get awesome results.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Freerange » September 12th, 2017, 10:45 am

CDMdeepbreather wrote:Nice fish, and the prints turned out great!

What kind of distances are you covering in the kaboat with 3 divers in it? Have done a couple miles in a small small zodiak with 4 divers (including gear) before...all of the hectic-ness definitely adds to the adventure!

3-4 miles is all. It's a 13' boat with a 6HP 4 stroke, 3 guys and minimal gear it'll do 6kts. 2 guys 9kts. Haven't run it solo but I imagine I'd gain at least another 3kts. I previously had a 12.5 SIB with 25HP 2 stroke and that thing flew, 4 guys was no problem, I don't think I ever went past 75% throttle. Crossed to cat in 90 minutes with it once with 2 guys and camping gear. With the kaboat I wouldn't be so brave.

I really like how much easier the kaboat is to deal with and the motor weighs less than half what the 25 did. It's more like shore diving with a big float than boat diving but I really like it.
Freerange
noob

Postby apneanaut » September 12th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Nice flatty! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
apneanaut
spearo

Postby BigJim » September 14th, 2017, 12:33 pm

What a beauty!!

:eusa-clap:

Congrats and thanks for sharing!!