What are the benefits of dive clubs?

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

What are the benefits of dive clubs?

Postby Rob102 » December 18th, 2017, 5:53 pm

Hi guys,
I’ve been contacted by a fellow diver that has asked me why I don’t start a club. With websites being so popular I never saw the benefit to being in a club with the exception of diving Nationals. I have also seen some resistance to guys haveing to join a club to participate.

Can anyone tell me the benefits?
Rob102
spearo

Re: What are the benefits of dive clubs?

Postby Errin » December 19th, 2017, 10:15 am

In Santa Barbara?

Free beer and sushi.

Plus, the number of kooks blowing up your spots will multiply so fast it'll make your head spin :eusa-dance:
Errin
spearo

Postby chris oak » December 19th, 2017, 10:43 am

I'm not in a dive club but know guys in a lot of them. For new divers it's a great way to shorten the learning curve providing you have veteran divers in your club. It's a great way to network, to help guys dive safe, to learn about gear, and to find dive buddies. The lectures that the clubs have are often fantastic, the problem I have is lack of time or distance from my house.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » December 19th, 2017, 12:46 pm

I had a few friends wanting me to join their club for quite a few years. I wasn't really into it as I'm not a competition diver and I try to only shoot fish that I eat. I had a decent dive circle and wasn't really in need of making new friends (or so I thought.) I debated for a few years and finally decided to join with one of my best friends thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea to learn more in regards to safety, spots, etc.. We became members of the Long Beach Neptunes and it was one of the better decisions I've made in regards to my diving and life in general. The quality of men in the club never cease to amaze me. Not only have I gained life long friends but I've multiplied my opportunities 10 fold in regards to diving. The amount I've learned from these guys is incredible. Not just about diving, but life as well. I'm usually unavailable for the two comps we do because of work, but the friendly competition and trash talk throughout the year over the fish categories has multiplied my diving fun tremendously. Ultimately, fun is one of the biggest reasons I do this and that factor alone would have been worth joining.

For somebody new or not so new like me, as Chris mentioned above, learning from some veterans definitely shortens the learning curve. Also, if you're into OPB (other people's boats) like me, it's a great source of really nice rides :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 19th, 2017, 4:27 pm

All the clubs are too far from me, and I wouldn't want to be in a club that would accept someone like me anyway.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby VangysWay » December 19th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:All the clubs are too far from me, and I wouldn't want to be in a club that would accept someone like me anyway.

I don't think they accept liberals into dive clubs anyways... :D
VangysWay
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 19th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Good point.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Fernando8884 » December 20th, 2017, 9:50 am

Life long friends, shortened learning curve, Discounts on gear, bad ass club shirts & fun! No negatives, unless you're a hermit. Join one
Fernando8884
spearo

Postby dam » December 20th, 2017, 10:06 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:All the clubs are too far from me, and I wouldn't want to be in a club that would accept someone like me anyway.

:arms:
dam
diving god

Postby spearthebigones » December 20th, 2017, 8:32 pm

Dive clubs are a fun place to find new friends to dive with.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Matt mattison » December 21st, 2017, 1:54 pm

you get to meet kooks like me lol hahahahaaha
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS
Matt mattison
kook

Postby Rob102 » December 21st, 2017, 7:55 pm

Matt mattison wrote:you get to meet kooks like me lol hahahahaaha

Forget I asked!
Rob102
spearo

Postby Matt mattison » December 22nd, 2017, 9:52 am

Rob102 wrote:
Matt mattison wrote:you get to meet kooks like me lol hahahahaaha

Forget I asked!

lol
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS
Matt mattison
kook

Postby Erizo » December 27th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Pros : People to hang out, have a few beers, go on trips, learn from (or teach to), talk spearing. Potential to make a real friend.

Cons: It brings new divers to spots fast.Their desire to show they can dive, crowds social media with pics of reef fish and bugs for the www to comment on.

I don't see club shirts as cool anymore...
Erizo
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 27th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Erizo wrote:
Cons: It brings new divers to spots fast.Their desire to show they can dive, crowds social media with pics of reef fish and bugs for the www to comment on.

this is happening with or without dive clubs.........
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Washington1 » December 28th, 2017, 9:02 am

For me personally joining a dive club ramped up my diving ability/knowledge almost overnight. Learning from seasoned divers, hearing their stories, tales of success and failures, and learning of the history of the sport was invaluable. I would not be the diver I am today without those guys. (Not that I am any good!) To know that I belong to a group of men of this caliber is an honor.
Shoot Straight!
Malloy
Long Beach Neptune
Washington1
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » December 28th, 2017, 5:48 pm

There are differences between clubs. Some have been around for a very long time and the old guys know everything, or at least they think they do. And there are young clubs where its often the blind leading the blind. A while back another member of this forum and I joined a new club that was a shorter drive than most. I guess I was 77 and he was over 50 (I think). We didn't expect much more than be able to drink a beer and shoot the shit and maybe enjoys a good presentation now and then.

But we had a very hard time even striking up conversations. I think these young guys had a hard time relating to someone as old as their grandfathers (me) or even as old as their fathers (the other guy). I presume that we would have been able to contribute something of value since most of these guys were real beginners, but they didn't want to talk to us. Hell, I could have given some of them boat rides but only if I felt like I belonged. We gave it a year and didn't go back.

But maybe it’s just a function of my age rather than that particular club. Young guys in any club might have trouble relating to some guy older than their grandfathers. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to California & Baja