Punta de Mita info?

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Punta de Mita info?

Postby Sfbaysailing » January 27th, 2018, 5:28 am

Hey all.
My girlfriend and i are travelling mexico on a sailboat. After 7 months spearing in the Sea of cortez, we are now in mainland, punta de mita at the moment. Im stoked to finally get some surf, but the wahoo in the fridge is running out and im having trouble finding spots to dive here. Does anyone know this area at all that could provide a little guidance? Tahnks for any help!
Greg
Sfbaysailing
noob

Re: Punta de Mita info?

Postby chris oak » January 27th, 2018, 10:47 am

paging malibu john, mj to the dance floor...
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Freeryde » January 28th, 2018, 6:58 am

Hey Greg,
As Chris said MAlibu John is the man to contact there if he is around. There is some shore diving all around the point with a good variety of small reef fish spread over the whole area. When I have been down there me and my kids would kick out from the beach and shoot a stringer of fish for dinner with ease at any of the rocky spots. There is a good area directly off the point and out near the big Bouy maybe a mile out or less that you will easily see. Just be careful out there as big waves can break without much warning when the swell is up.
If you are looking for bluewater there are 3 main spots. The closest is El Morro about 9 miles followed by Corbeteña at about 17 miles and lastly el Blanco at 33 miles. The first two are easily marked by rocks that come up above the water so you will know you are there. I have shot some nice tuna even at the close El Morro rock. Ask around and someone will give you some general numbers. Be sure to stay away from the Marietas islands that you can see about 6 miles offshore as they are a preserve.
Good luck and post up some pics!
-Joe
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Sfbaysailing » January 29th, 2018, 5:41 am

Chris -
John amd i have been in touch and are hopefully gonna get out this week!

Joe -
Thanks so much for the rundown. Ive been eyeing the rocky spots by the buoy but the swell has made that entire area way too rough. Hopefully itll settle down soon and i can get out there!
Sfbaysailing
noob

Return to California & Baja