Pre-Super Bowl lobster dive

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Pre-Super Bowl lobster dive

Postby 805roy » February 4th, 2018, 8:24 am

Got a text from a friend (dive buddy) yesterday afternoon, a picture of the ocean in malibu from the top of a power pole.(he is a linesmen) Called him up next thing we were at our spot with kayaks suiting up.7pm, Ocean had a sickness on it, a little lumpy, backwash off rocks hint hint. 8-10" viz.alotta work pulling kayaks along behind us.Had to extract all the bugs. got 1, 2,3,4,5,6.....took a break then.... 7! Same with him .We are done, time to halibut hammer hunt for him in the shallows,9pm, im going to sit on shore and give thanks to the lobster gods while josepi hunts more :sleeping-blue: 5 minutes in i hear," holt shit" look at this monster, as he exits the world greatest therapist. The mother ocean, he is carrying the biggest bug of the night.then releases it..., any way , was good to swim. ALOHA
805roy
spearo

Re: Pre-Super Bowl lobster dive

Postby JosephJ » February 4th, 2018, 5:57 pm

Wow 1st off apprentice lineman I'm not done yet and ya it was hard Working on that pole looking at the ocean knowing how good it looked out in there, all I could think about is how can I get out of work, why did I Singh up for overtime when the ocean in flat!! I was tempted to tex Roy telling him to call me, acting as my wife telling me it's a emergence and I have to go home but crap I didn't have my gear in my truck. So I worked through it and wow was it worth it the big bug was in less than 2 feet of water and had about a 6" ""carapace" it was a female and I had my limit so I let it go after I showed Roy it was a good night
Last edited by JosephJ on February 5th, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JosephJ
noob

Postby Trace » February 4th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Way to Go Guys!
Trace
kook

Postby Freeryde » February 4th, 2018, 8:49 pm

It’s “carapace”
Nice job in the big limit!
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Big_Berg » February 5th, 2018, 11:00 am

Freeryde wrote:It’s “carapace”
Nice job in the big limit!

I kind of like cartipus.
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby JosephJ » February 5th, 2018, 11:56 am

Damn that auto spell Check
JosephJ
noob

Postby AJP » February 5th, 2018, 7:50 pm

So, did you dispatch those bugs with love and kindness? :D
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby dam » February 6th, 2018, 9:40 am

Good job, guys. 6" carapace on a female sounds ridiculous. I snuck in a dive down here, too but unlike yours, conditions were fantastic! One of the clearest and calmest days I've seen shore diving!
dam
diving god

Postby JosephJ » February 6th, 2018, 11:38 am

AJP wrote:So, did you dispatch those bugs with love and kindness? :D

Always, respect your catch
JosephJ
noob

Postby chris oak » February 7th, 2018, 11:37 am

JosephJ wrote:Wow 1st off apprentice lineman I'm not done yet and ya it was hard Working on that pole looking at the ocean knowing how good it looked out in there, all I could think about is how can I get out of work, why did I Singh up for overtime when the ocean in flat!! I was tempted to tex Roy telling him to call me, acting as my wife telling me it's a emergence and I have to go home but crap I didn't have my gear in my truck. So I worked through it and wow was it worth it the big bug was in less than 2 feet of water and had about a 6" ""carapace" it was a female and I had my limit so I let it go after I showed Roy it was a good night

Wow that's a big female, do you guys have a guess on the weight?

Congrats on a great bug dive, I'm itching to get out as soon as the water clears up a bit.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to California & Baja