Rollergun Advice

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Rollergun Advice

Postby maskoff » February 6th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Hey fam,

I have my rollergun set up as break-away for diving in kelp. Since I can't put my arm through the bands as with a traditional gun, I was wondering what is the best way of securing your gun when retrieving a big fish. I don't want to attach the gun via dlink to weight belt. Any advice would be dopeee
maskoff
noob

Re: Rollergun Advice

Postby phil herranen » February 6th, 2018, 11:11 pm

Clip or tie it to the end of your float line , or make a pole spear rubber loop cliped to the butt that you can slip your arm threw while you are fighting the fish
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 7th, 2018, 8:42 am

Like Phil said. Here's a photo of the end of my float line.

Sometimes that can be a PIA if the fish didn't take much line before tying up. I use a 125 float line, and if I have to pull in 100 feet of it to get to the clip on the end, then I end up with float line all around me when I dive to retrieve the fish. So a carabiner on a loop on the butt of the gun is another alternative. You can just clip that over the float line and not have to pull the end in.

If you are afraid that a clip on the end of the line might snag in the kelp, then a quick link is another alternative, but it takes longer to open it.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » February 7th, 2018, 11:44 am

I have a tuna clip on all of my guns, knock on wood it has never made any noise or tangled when I've shot fish. I usually use this to clip the gun on the end of the line when I'm cutting a fish out of deep kelp. That way I can clip the gun off mid floatline if needed and I don't have to wait to the end of the line.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Matt mattison » February 7th, 2018, 12:56 pm

I use one of these on my new hollyroller,

I clip it to a loop from the handle made of dyneema like this
and then clip the other side to my D ring on my weight belt
when running abreakaway
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS
Matt mattison
spearo

Postby maskoff » February 7th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Thank you all for the great advice & pics! The rollergun does have a tuna clip attached to the handle and I am running a 125 ft Hybrid Bungee from Gannet. Just tested attaching the tuna clip to float and that is the method I will be going with for now. In hopes that she doesn't take the full amount of float I can now easily attach my gun mid float but make sure to leave a couple yards of drag incase there is an extra push of life.. Hope to see you all in the water!
maskoff
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 7th, 2018, 8:19 pm

I think you got my reason for using a quick
link rather than a tuna clip if you are attaching to the middle of the float line. If the fish gets loose and takes more line if you are using a tuna clip, it takes your gun down into the kelp. If you use a quick link, the line runs through the link until it hits the float on the end.

Admittedly I’m being anal. It’s probably fine clipping to the middle of the line about 99 percent of the time. And of course it only maters if you shoot fish and I don’t seem to do that much any more. :)
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby maskoff » February 7th, 2018, 9:03 pm

Bill,

That was funny, I'm sure you slay. I guess the reason I sought advice in the first place was because my set up is a line that floats with no float. The quick link is a great idea but there comes a point where it will slip off, in my case. I have always considered a kelp carrot tho.. Throughout your dive, how often does it snag?

Edit: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION "The first time I used it I felt an occasional tug, but that was just the hole in the front of my mini-carrot catching on kelp. After I wrapped it with Rescue Tape, I didn't even know it was back there"
maskoff
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 8th, 2018, 8:49 am

Yes, the tape wrap seems to make a difference, keeping the little lip on the front of the hole from snagging.

A lot of guys dive with nothing on the end of the line, but I don't like it. The hardware on the end makes it sag below the surface and you can't see where the end of the line is. But the main thing I like about the carrot is that it gives me something to grab. At least a couple of times a big fish has taken all my line and all that saved me is that carrot hitting my hand. Some people tell me that they tie knots in the line to warn them when the end is near and they should clamp down, but I can't squeeze that hard. I was already squeezing as hard as I could and the fish was still taking line. Without the carrot to grab, I would have lost those fish and all my gear.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to California & Baja