Local Reports

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Local Reports

Postby admin » July 2nd, 2013, 7:51 am

1. Remember try to keep your reports VAGUE, there's no benefit to anyone if you name out spots and you are only going to bring drama from guys who were trying to keep it on the downlow. Usually the rule of thumb is Islands, Baja, Norcal, Socal etc.

2. Don't shoot anything unless you know what it is and the legal size.

3. We also would rather you don't post duplicate reports. We definitely think you should post a report somewhere, you should choose where you want to post it and if you decide that you'd rather post it elsewhere we have no hard feelings about it. We like to look at our site as if it were a type of magazine, you wouldn't see the EXACT same article and pix printed in one magazine and then show up in another unless it was some type of advertisement. The obvious exception is if a diver has passed away, a significant news item that pertains to spearfishing, safety issues, etc.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Local Reports

Postby redcrow » August 2nd, 2014, 1:23 pm

Dove north county this morning. Visibility was around 30 feet. Nothing to report except great conditions.
redcrow
noob

Double Posting and Forwarding information

Postby chris oak » August 23rd, 2014, 12:30 pm

This is in light of some of the postings we had on our board that showed up on other boards. This is not the only time it has happened and the owners of spearingforum would like to address this before it becomes a problem.

Our board is unique for a variety of reasons. We've got a lot of really great guys here, both new and old. We've also got guys here who are posting up here where they never have posted up before. That's one of the things that makes us special.

We rely on our board growth from your great stories, your experiences, your insight. But keep in mind this very very important fact. WE ARE NOT AN OPEN FORUM, we are a member based forum where you have to log in. We did this to try to keep the board a respectable size without having lurkers on the outside just using us for information.

We think it's great that you post up here and stop by to read or shoot the breeze. We've always asked that you don't double post the exact same story to another forum, we like to think of spearingforum to be a little unique with original content. We don't care if you repost your photos wherever you feel like it, that's your own business and a great pix deserves to be shared. We just ask that you reword your story so it's not exactly the same.

As far as reposting someone elses story, we ask that before you do that you contact the OP and get their permission. In a case where safety is an issue it is great to share information like that. But if it's not the OP posting the story themselves, it leaves the post subject to speculation, they aren't there to answer the questions. If the speculation is negative, it makes EVERYONE look bad and it could cause problems for the OP down the line.

Just try to remember we are a "closed forum" for a reason. When someone is posting up stuff here, and you don't see it popping up somewhere else then there's probably a reason for it. Lets keep our board running the way that we want it to.

I'm going to make this a sticky in a few days, if you have any problems with this you an hit up me or Dam and we will be glad to address it privately.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Double Posting and Forwarding information

Postby Freediverman » August 23rd, 2014, 11:07 pm

I completely agree. I find it disrespectful to copy what someone has written and post it elsewhere without their permission. Thanks for keeping this forum running strong for us Chris and Dam.
Freediverman
spearo

Postby db1 » August 24th, 2014, 6:22 am

Agreed. OP's content should be owned by OP... or at least treated as such.

Thanks guys.
db1
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 24th, 2014, 7:28 am

I promise that I won't double-post my stories on Spearboard any more.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Duff » August 24th, 2014, 8:25 am

What a witty old salt you are Bill :D

I agree, you won't ever catch me posting any reports on weirdboard and there's a reason for that. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

~kyle
Kyle Duffy
Duff
spearo

Postby CitoRat4Ever » August 24th, 2014, 8:37 am

Just for clarification, do you mind if we re-post informational posts? For example, info about upcoming club meetings, tournaments, etc...
I like to kill things and eat them.
CitoRat4Ever
spearo

Postby chris oak » August 24th, 2014, 8:56 am

No we definitely want a lot of things shared wherever you can post them. Club meetings, guest speakers, safety topics (providing it is your own topic or you got an okay to repost someone elses), missing divers, tournaments etc. Even a pix of a great catch deserves to be reposted, we just would prefer if you didn't post the exact same copied story.

But again, one thing we really want to avoid is reposting someone elses post (without their permission).
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » August 24th, 2014, 8:56 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:I promise that I won't double-post my stories on Spearboard any more.

Okay I promise I won't either :bowrofl:
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby nightdiver » August 24th, 2014, 10:53 am

I think a good approach would be pics and a quick brag about weight on the other forum. Save the real writing here for your friends (virtual or live). Is there really anyone on the other forum who you care about that's not on here?
nightdiver
spearo

Postby John Hughes » August 24th, 2014, 1:23 pm

nightdiver wrote:. Is there really anyone on the other forum who you care about that's not on here?

yes, pretty much all of them as in I'm glad they are there and I (we) are here :)

I agree with the policy and appreciate the fact that this forum is closed. Way to much lurking, disrespect and bs over there.

thanks for keeping it tight guys
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby SBH2Oman » August 24th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I'm assuming an exact duplicate of a classified is OK? That's about the only thing I use the other board for anymore.
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby chris oak » August 24th, 2014, 2:33 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:I'm assuming an exact duplicate of a classified is OK? That's about the only thing I use the other board for anymore.

Definitely Brent, classifieds are encouraged and I always say if you are having a hard time moving something, especially a boat try bloodydecks as well.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Danny Jones II » September 3rd, 2014, 11:19 am

Agreed. Keep it close and keep it closed, the other site is as loony as ever, thank goodness they cannot come here.
Good rule guy's.
Danny Jones II
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 3rd, 2014, 8:07 pm

Danny Jones II wrote:Agreed. Keep it close and keep it closed, the other site is as loony as ever, thank goodness they cannot come here.
Good rule guy's.

But they can come here. Even Tony is here. All they have to do is register. They just can't read it until they do.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Protist » September 29th, 2014, 11:03 am

didn't bother to read through replies so sorry if redundant***

Does posting to instagram or Facebook count as a "double post"
Sturgill Global Adventure Team
http://www.sturgillspearfishing.com
Protist
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » September 29th, 2014, 11:13 am

Protist wrote:didn't bother to read through replies so sorry if redundant***

Does posting to instagram or Facebook count as a "double post"

I'm not sure what the official policy is, but I can give you an example of how it got me in trouble.

When I post a photo on this board, I'm always careful to avoid showing a background that would identify the spot. But I posted the same photo on Facebook and forgot to turn off location services. The background didn't give away the spot, but location services gave an approximate location. So I was accused on this board of blowing up the spot.

Now I've turned off location services on Facebook, but obviously this is a problem only if you post the photo from the spot.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » September 29th, 2014, 12:24 pm

[quote="Protist"
Does posting to instagram or Facebook count as a "double post"[/quote]

Not at all. Posting pix anywhere is okay with us, it's mainly the written stuff we'd rather not see verbatim on forums.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Kirby » September 29th, 2014, 1:00 pm

chris oak wrote:Not at all. Posting pix anywhere is okay with us, it's mainly the written stuff we'd rather not see verbatim on forums.

This forum will lose its uniquness if reports here are reposted verbatim on other forums.

Good rule, in my opinion.
Kirby
spearo

Postby Protist » September 30th, 2014, 8:51 pm

sounds good to me. I was asking seriously. I hope i didn't come off like a jerk. Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't destroying the sanctity of the forum with every photo. and I've been doing my best to not even post on weird board anymore.

Thanks,
Alex
Protist
spearo

Postby Protist » October 8th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Yes, a good rule!
Protist
spearo

Postby Surfair72 » March 3rd, 2016, 9:37 am

I dove north county sd yesterday viz was about 8-10 at about 20' deep the murk got real bad and dropped it to about 3-5 kelp was not healthy and the beds were very small maybe some cold water will give the a boost temp was 60.9
Surfair72
polespearo

Return to California & Baja