Rob Allen

Dive deep, throw sand, shoot fish, but above all respect the flag!

Rob Allen

Postby Oyeah194 » April 23rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

Has anyone heard of Rob Allen bands not being the best for warmer waters? I’m currently shooting a RA Tuna 1000.
Oyeah194
noob

Re: Rob Allen

Postby Andrew » April 23rd, 2020, 9:33 pm

That'd be news to me. How're you storing the gun / bands (outdoors, in direct sunlight, etc. etc.)? When in doubt, tie your own.
Andrew
spearo

Postby Oyeah194 » April 24th, 2020, 9:50 am

Andrew wrote:That'd be news to me. How're you storing the gun / bands (outdoors, in direct sunlight, etc. etc.)? When in doubt, tie your own.

Oh no I’ve had zero issues at all but I went to get my bands replaced and I was told a few thing about RA bands that just didn’t seem to make sense so I’m just checking.

I’m super new to the sport and I had the feeling someone was telling me my headlight fluid was low if you know what I mean.
Oyeah194
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 24th, 2020, 9:55 am

You’ll find you get a lot of that in this sport from people who have a month more experience than you do. It’s good to use a filter and get second opinions.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » April 25th, 2020, 6:30 am

Rob allen builds quality gear, I doubt their bands aren't good. It be someone got theirs from someone who had the bands sitting in the heat/sun etc.

You can always order the band material yourself and tie them, it's very very easy to do and that's what most of us do. You will need the band material of appropriate length/diameter, some whipping twine or waxed string/dynema, and either dynema wishbones or some type of wishbones. It sounds like a lot but trust me the parts are easy to get and any reputable spearshop will be glad to show you how to do it.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Jeff Bonisa » April 25th, 2020, 4:53 pm

If you are on Oahu I have all the necessary stuff to tie up bands except for rubber, just let me know. Someone else can post the formula as I always ask Bill or just beg him to tie me a set because he is Bill F-N McIntyre!
Jeff Bonisa
polespearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 26th, 2020, 8:11 am

Jeff Bonisa wrote:If you are on Oahu I have all the necessary stuff to tie up bands except for rubber, just let me know. Someone else can post the formula as I always ask Bill or just beg him to tie me a set because he is Bill F-N McIntyre!

Did some one call? Its good to feel wanted.

Measure the distance from the band hole in the muzzle to the shark fin.

Double that.

Subtract the length of the wishbone (4" is good)

Divide by the stretch ratio. (Maybe 3.5)

This is the distance between constrictor knots. For the cut rubber length, add 1" for untapered bands or 1.5" for tapered bands.

OK, details. For years I've used 350 % stretch for large ID rubber, either 14mm or 16mm OD. I think most people do that. With the newer 14.5 mm small ID rubber, it seems most people use shorter rubber and more stretch- I've been using 360 to 365 but I read of some studs using 380 or more. I'd start with 360 and then you could always shorten it later by cutting off one end.

What if you have more than one loading fin? You could measure the distance to half way in between if there are two fins or to the middle one if there are three fins and then cut all the bands the same length. Or you could be anal and measure to the first fin and than add half an inch or so to the second and third bands, but then you have to keep track of which band is which. Different color wishbones are one solution.

Whichever way I do it, it doesn't seem to increase my breath hold, and that is probably more important that being anal about band length.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Oyeah194 » April 26th, 2020, 3:35 pm

Thanks for all the info everyone, I might actually try to do my own next time.

I think the person told me that so I would buy what they had and not order anything lol.
Oyeah194
noob

Postby chris oak » April 26th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Oyeah194 wrote:Thanks for all the info everyone, I might actually try to do my own next time.

I think the person told me that so I would buy what they had and not order anything lol.

If you're on oahu hit jeff up, he's a great guy and it's much easier to watch and learn someone tie them in person. I had problems with the double constrictor knot at first but now I can tie them no sweat.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Oyeah194 » April 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm

chris oak wrote:
Oyeah194 wrote:Thanks for all the info everyone, I might actually try to do my own next time.

If you're on oahu hit jeff up, he's a great guy and it's much easier to watch and learn someone tie them in person. I had problems with the double constrictor knot at first but now I can tie them no sweat.

Yes i am on Oahu near Diamond Head, I’ll definitely shoot him message for some help.
Oyeah194
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 27th, 2020, 10:49 am

Here are a couple of videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvV1JjoAnhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vraf0tqzTq4

Tying that constrictor know they way they show it would drive me nuts. There is a far simpler method where you form the knot in your hands and them slip it over the rubber. Years ago I made YouTube video to show how, but I'm having trouble finding it now.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 27th, 2020, 11:01 am

OK, its not my video but this shows what I'm talking about. There is a bit less confusing way to do that second step but its impossible for me to put it in words.

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... SBrpCwAw78

One point that will be obvious if you try it. After you insert the first end of wishbone, you can just slide the knot up over the wishbone to put it in place. But if you insert the second end, you can't get the knot on. So before inserting the second end, slide the knot onto the band leaving it loose, insert the wishbone, and then pull the knot back over the bead or knot and then tighten it.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill McIntyre » April 27th, 2020, 1:12 pm

And while we wait for Chris Oak and John Hughes to confess and show us photos of all the big sea bass they've been shooing, I might as well push a product for band tying. Mako makes some stainless band inserts that really make it easier. You don't need a band insertion tool to stick the inserts into the bands and you can change wishbones or change length of wishbones if you want. The balls are just the right size so the constrictor knot isn't as critical. With the model for small ID bands, you don't even have to cut the wishbone. You just loosen the knot. If you tie new bands and find that they are too short or too long, you just lengthen or shorten the wishbones. If you band gets tired and easier to load, just shorten the wishbone. I'll never go back.

https://www.makospearguns.com/Q8-Stainl ... q8sswi.htm

https://www.makospearguns.com/Stainless ... /msswi.htm
Attachments
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Hawaii