Gyotaku Ahi

Dive deep, throw sand, shoot fish, but above all respect the flag!

Gyotaku Ahi

Postby n1kke$1xx » November 12th, 2014, 9:40 pm

It took a few months to finish but I finally got to pick up my ahi print and it turned out incredible! Now I gotta build a frame for it and find a wall to hang it on

https://www.youtube.com/user/N1kkeS1xx
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Re: Gyotaku Ahi

Postby Schwaman » November 13th, 2014, 12:04 am

beautiful!
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Hookin » November 13th, 2014, 7:59 am

Really nice print! Where you also able to eat the ahi or does it get sacrificed for the print? Just curious. Nice fish :)
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby AJP » November 13th, 2014, 2:44 pm

Very nice!

Who was the artist?
Aaron P.
AJP
kook

Postby n1kke$1xx » November 13th, 2014, 10:42 pm

Thanks guys! The print was done by my friend Shasta Domen. And yes we were still able to eat the fish, there's no way I would waste all that meat.
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » November 14th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Very cool!

Hookin wrote:Really nice print! Where you also able to eat the ahi or does it get sacrificed for the print? Just curious. Nice fish :)

Gyotaku's are really simple. You just cover the fish with some non toxic ink or paint, press a piece of paper on top of the fish to get the print, take the paper off, clean off the fish, and you're done. Although he went the extra mile and got someone to paint on top of his ink print after he was finished to make it look even more awesome!
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Hookin » November 15th, 2014, 10:57 am

spearthebigones wrote:Very cool!

Hookin wrote:Really nice print! Where you also able to eat the ahi or does it get sacrificed for the print? Just curious. Nice fish :)

Gyotaku's are really simple. You just cover the fish with some non toxic ink or paint, press a piece of paper on top of the fish to get the print, take the paper off, clean off the fish, and you're done. Although he went the extra mile and got someone to paint on top of his ink print after he was finished to make it look even more awesome!

I know the basic principle of gyotaku but when I read it took a few months I was imagining that it took a while to paint the fish and then transfer to the cloth. Makes sense that they did a quick print and then painted over it. Save the fish for food and the wall. :)
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby AJP » November 20th, 2014, 11:20 pm

How long did the whole process of printing the fish take? Did your friend print the fish using white paint against the black background?

Many thanks.
Aaron P.
AJP
kook

Postby Schwaman » November 21st, 2014, 12:37 am

Here's a print I did of my first YFT.
After just a few practice runs at home with fresh water fish, it's quite obvious that printing a large and round fish is something completely different. It took 3-4 tries in the sun and wind on the fileting table to get it done.

I used disposable paper table-cloth that they sell in rolls of 1.2mx10m for cheap and watercolors.

As you can see, its a very basic print, nowhere close to the one by the OP but I like the basic style and it makes a great memento on my wall.
cheers
Attachments
Schwaman
spearo

Postby AJP » November 21st, 2014, 3:44 pm

Schwaman wrote:Here's a print I did of my first YFT.
After just a few practice runs at home with fresh water fish, it's quite obvious that printing a large and round fish is something completely different. It took 3-4 tries in the sun and wind on the fileting table to get it done.

I used disposable paper table-cloth that they sell in rolls of 1.2mx10m for cheap and watercolors.

As you can see, its a very basic print, nowhere close to the one by the OP but I like the basic style and it makes a great memento on my wall.
cheers

I like that print that you did. Sort of abstract looking - a different style.
Aaron P.
AJP
kook

Postby n1kke$1xx » November 21st, 2014, 10:03 pm

AJP wrote:How long did the whole process of printing the fish take? Did your friend print the fish using white paint against the black background?

Many thanks.

the actual printing doesn't take long at all, less than an hour for a big fish. its the detailing that takes time and I never rush Shasta, you have to let an artist work at their own pace :confusion-shrug:
this is the color she used as the base, then add the darker colors on top.

the print before detailing
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby n1kke$1xx » November 21st, 2014, 10:16 pm

cheers

you got that right, printing a big fish is super tricky because you can't stretch the material around the fish and you end up with creases.
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby dustyyoungblood » November 23rd, 2014, 8:02 pm

incredible art
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby Schwaman » November 24th, 2014, 12:47 am

n1kke$1xx wrote:

cheers

you got that right, printing a big fish is super tricky because you can't stretch the material around the fish and you end up with creases.

yes, I 'd like to try a Mahi, I bet that would come out nice. In my case the wind was the worst. Couldn't really take the fish into the hotel room either :rolls:
Schwaman
spearo

Postby RyanW » December 18th, 2014, 1:49 pm

So sick. I have a bonito print on my fridge I need to frame.
RyanW
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » January 23rd, 2015, 9:17 pm

Just got done watching your youtube video "Hawaii Spearfishing-It's What We Do". Awesome vid. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby n1kke$1xx » January 25th, 2015, 6:50 pm

Mahtzo Lou wrote:Just got done watching your youtube video "Hawaii Spearfishing-It's What We Do". Awesome vid. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lou
Thanks Lou! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 25th, 2015, 9:53 pm

That looks absolutely awesome!!,I'd love to get one of our snapper done like that
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby n1kke$1xx » January 26th, 2015, 11:07 pm

Ikan Hunter wrote:That looks absolutely awesome!!,I'd love to get one of our snapper done like that

Just let me warn you that it can be addicting haha! I have four prints and I still want to do more fish.
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Return to Hawaii