Looking for someone to teach me the ropes

Dive deep, throw sand, shoot fish, but above all respect the flag!

Looking for someone to teach me the ropes

Postby Tyler935022 » February 17th, 2018, 4:04 am

I'm stationed in Oahu for some time and I was hoping to find an individual or a group to show me the ropes. I've tried learning with a friend, but we aren't successful and quite frankly, I would like to go more often. I don't have the best of gear, although I hope to work my way up to something of better quality, the only thing holding me back at the moment is the lack of experience. Any sort of advice or possibly a trip, would be greatly appreciated! I'm simply trying to improve my abilities and knowledge of the sport.
Tyler935022
noob

Re: Looking for someone to teach me the ropes

Postby BajaSpearo » February 17th, 2018, 9:14 am

Invest in freediving basic training that way you will learn quicker and meet new people that are also learning but also that already know. It has worked for many ppl. Good luck and you will be getting good results soon.
BajaSpearo
noob

Postby Jeff Bonisa » February 17th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Where are you stationed on Oahu?
Jeff Bonisa
noob

Postby Tyler935022 » February 17th, 2018, 10:42 pm

Pearl Harbor
Tyler935022
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 18th, 2018, 11:48 am

When I was stationed at Kaneohe and then Camp Smith in 1961-1963 there was a club at Pearl Harbor called the Pearl Divers. We had a strict qualification program and I was one of the final check instructors. I recall feeling a bit weird failing an Army Lt Col when I was just a Marine 2d Lt, but I hoped that I was insulated by being in a different service. I don't know if the club still exists, but if it does it would provide a way to meet people and find dive buddies.
Last edited by Bill McIntyre on February 19th, 2018, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Jeff Bonisa » February 19th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Hi Tyler, (I'm guessing at First Name)
I am new to the island as well, though we have been here for almost a year now. I dove with Bill, who posted above, for a number of years in Southern California before moving here. I'd be happy to meet up and go for a dive or answer any questions as I have gear pretty sorted out and even some extra as loaner items. I've found a few fish on the windward side, enough to keep it fun. Feel free to shoot me a PM with contact info. Weather and conditions permitting, I'm sure we could find a time to get out or even just chat about gear if you wanted to take a look at set ups.
Jeff Bonisa
Jeff Bonisa
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 19th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Tyler,

You should take Jeff up on that. He used to put fish on my boat and I wish I had him back.
Attachments
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Hawaii