Questions on Moving to Hawaii

Dive deep, throw sand, shoot fish, but above all respect the flag!

Questions on Moving to Hawaii

Postby white_sea_buss » September 11th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I'll be moving to the big island next month. I'm working on getting some of my bigger toys shipped out there.

Things I'm having trouble with:
22' outrigger canoe
15' ocean kayak
12' prone paddleboard

I imagine I'm not the first to send this type of stuff to Hawaii, and figure there's got to be some cheaper options than renting a whole container. If anyone has any ideas (or know of anyone willing to offer up some space in their container), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric
white_sea_buss
noob

Re: Questions on Moving to Hawaii

Postby NaClAddict » September 11th, 2019, 7:03 pm

Save yourself the hassle. Sell it here, buy new stuff there. It’s a different ocean and you’ll probably want different craft even if you stick with the same sports. I can always help you sell the canoe and paddle board.

Edmo
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Behslayer » September 11th, 2019, 9:48 pm

I had thought maybe you could put it on top of a truck if you were shipping, but cannot. If you have a look at Big Island Craigslist, there's almost always an Outrigger Canoe for sale, Kayaks, etc.. There's a uge Paddling club at Honokahau, not sure if they have their own classifieds. People keep their Canoes there. But there are a heap of Outrigger Canoes around. A lot of people will join a Club and paddle multi person Outriggers. My daughter does that. Best is to get in touch with some of the clubs and see if you can easily replace something here. Try Honokahau, Kai Opua, Kai Ehitu(my daughter's club), Keahou, Honaunau, those are all around Kona, not sure where you are moving to.

Also, figure you are gonna be diving a lot more.. since it's always crystal clear and Warm and Blue. Prone paddling seems a bit spooky around these parts… every other truck seems to have either a bunch of Gold Reels or an Outrigger Canoe in the back.

See you soon.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby NaClAddict » September 12th, 2019, 6:30 am

Made a call to some paddle people who have shipped boards and boats. They both said to leave your gear in Cali, you’ll want new stuff. Call Aloha Freight Forwarders if you still want to ship. It may be cost effective if you ship a whole container, ie car and furniture. Good luck.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby white_sea_buss » September 25th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Edmo,
Thanks for the advice; the outrigger is a diy project in progress, so that is coming. The kayak is an ocean kayak 15' scupper pro....basically the only kayak I saw on cars and side yards. I haven't seen on on Craigslist
If you know of anyone looking for a prone board, I have an almost new Bark Commander 12' with bag.

Behslayer,
Thanks, hadn't considered the spookiness of prone paddling. My co-workers out there think I'm crazy for keeping my stringer on my belt in CA. I probably have some other differences in environment to consider as well.
white_sea_buss
noob

Postby NaClAddict » September 26th, 2019, 9:18 am

Eric, try posting the paddle board on eatonsurf.com. I’ll ask around but typically now is the worst time to sell. Joe Bark may know of someone though. Is the commander a surf tec or hand shape? Craigslist or weirdboard the kayak, it is desirable to divers.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby Behslayer » September 26th, 2019, 11:00 am

When you getting here. Which part of the Island you moving to?
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby white_sea_buss » September 28th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Moving to Waimea on Tuesday.
white_sea_buss
noob

Return to Hawaii