Finnish action...

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Finnish action...

Postby japppo » February 9th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Ok,
I just introduced myself on this forum last week and bragged about going fishing under the ice. Well, I tried so here you are with a "freediving" video:

This lake is very close to my house and produces the weekly dose of fish to my family when needed. Last summer I caught northern pike, perch, freshwater bream, burbot and crayfish there. Now was about the time for burbot spawn so they should be on the move, either spawning in the shallow or eating pre/post spawn. Hard to say which, because the visibility was horrible. Usually the lakes clear up during the winter, but I guess not this one...
Attachments
- breathing is just a feeling -
japppo
polespearo

Re: Finnish action...

Postby greeney » February 10th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Thanks. I'll try to remember this next time I complain about conditions in southern California.
greeney
spearo

Postby Hookin » February 10th, 2016, 6:40 pm

Looks intense. Looking forward to some video of you getting some fish. Thanks for sharing.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Namor » February 10th, 2016, 9:00 pm

Ok I'm done bitching about cold murky water for the rest of my life. You are a maniac

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby John Hughes » February 11th, 2016, 6:39 am

greeney wrote:Thanks. I'll try to remember this next time I complain about conditions in southern California.

this^ LOL
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Schwaman » February 11th, 2016, 6:56 am

crazy stuff
Schwaman
spearo

Postby japppo » March 12th, 2016, 9:04 am

Here's fresh from the Philippines. Crazy stuff seem to come at me:
japppo
polespearo

Postby Hookin » March 12th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Im more worried about those urcin then the snake. Cool video..
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Magno » March 12th, 2016, 4:21 pm

Damn, that soundtrack made my blood pressure rise. Perfect fit.
Magno
noob

Postby dam » March 14th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Seriously... If there ever was a time to crap in a wetsuit, that would've been it.
dam
sea slayer

Postby japppo » March 15th, 2016, 1:23 am

Thanks! Real men always have some shit in their pants.

Here's another video about summer spearfishing in the Finnish lakes:

Its a compilation from last summer 2015, shot in the lakes nearby where I live. These fish are probably the most common catches, but there are many others too. I just gotta find them, film them, shoot them, cook them and eat them... And of course make a video and share it.

I submitted this video on a competition, therefore each watch and comment will help me in the ranking. Your help is greatly appreciated:

-Watch the video embed
-Go to the youtube page and watch again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz42SWmIn5s
-If you like it - press like and comment
-If you don't like it - comment and show your friends how bad it was

Please subscribe to the organizer: Il pescatore in apnea - The Spearfishing HUB
and also my channel: https://www.youtube.com/salaseivastajat

Thanks in advance!
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » April 9th, 2016, 1:22 am

Here's some more of controversial stuff from Finland:
A not so serious series about diving lights. This is the trailer. The first episode is available already as of today. New episodes will be released every Wed and Sat in case you're interested.
The actual episodes are in Finnish, but English subtitles are available.
japppo
polespearo

Postby Big_Berg » April 27th, 2016, 10:15 am

Way awesome posts! Been lurking over this thread and your videos. Wanted to share my stoke on what you are doing! Please keep it up.

Nathan
Big_Berg
spearo

Postby japppo » May 9th, 2016, 11:41 am

Thanks Nathan!
I just got back from LA, and going to post some new stuff as soon as this jet lag is gone... I had 3 nice days of diving, no big fish caught, but some nice encounters with marine life.
-Jarno
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » May 14th, 2016, 11:16 am

I had a great trip to LA, big thanks to "Hollywood" John for taking me out. He can be briefly seen on the video as well. I must admit that I had a rough time in the swell and kelp getting seasick and a little bit cold in my 3 mm surf suit. However, I really started enjoying this day during the last dive after taking a puke and a beer. Well, it worked for me. I saw two WSB so I consider myself lucky although I decided not to throw in a lucky shot. Big thanks to John once more and I hope to come back someday.

I did two more dives in Two Harbors and La Jolla and might pull together some video of an opaleye getting polespeared and chummed... Unless you tell me not to.

japppo
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » May 30th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Thanks for posting that up Jarno! What a great day that was. About as perfect as a Spring day can get here without the bloody deck. Whales, dolphins, walls of Barracuda and calicos and you even saw a few seabass. It was a pleasure taking you out and meeting your wife. I try not to take it for granted but taking guys out from other parts of the world help me remember how good we have it here. That was a special day. Thanks for taking the time to post up the video!

Make sure and get ahold of me next time you're in town!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby japppo » June 2nd, 2016, 9:46 am

I was really amazed about John's offer to show me around and even more surprised that it realized. That area around LA is amazing and I don't think too many people appreciate it, or even know about the underwater diversity there. Being out of my comfort zone is why I will never get tired with spearfishing and diving, and surely this was a challenging experience. Anyway it motivates to see more places around the world. I'll be back... Hehe

Yesterday I took out a new friend lake spearfishing here in Finland. He had borrowed my 7 mm suit and gun a couple days ago and now he got his gun delivered by mail, just half an hour before this trip. After about 2,5 hrs in the water, we saw a good eating size pike and I pointed it out for him to shoot. The pike spooked and he missed. Knowing that they don't go too far after spooked, I found it again and shafted it, almost running into it. I know pike skull is very tough, but I wanted to try stabbing it like some cool guys do, in Youtube. It didn't work so back to slowly driving the knife against your hip style...

So here's some fresh material from yesterday. Kooks 4ever.
japppo
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » June 5th, 2016, 4:35 am

wow Jarno I remember you telling me how those Pike just lay there in the weeds and you shoot them "execution style". That's crazy. That was a decent size fish. I must not be a "cool guy" because I'm afraid of stabbing them in the face. Too many things can go sideways and the last thing I want to do is stab myself in the process. It's just not necessary IMO.

Thanks for sharing the video, that looked like decent vis compared to what I was imagining after talking with you.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby japppo » June 17th, 2016, 5:25 am

That pike video was filmed in one of the clearest water lakes that I know, about 5m lateral visibility. I does not get better than that here. I guess 1m vis is the average for most lakes, but anything more than that is my opinion of a good vis for lake spearing...

Somehow the murky sea gives me the creeps, because there's potentially more spooky stuff. I'd like to see around before something bumps in, a shark or a seal for example. I guess there's already a thread for it, but a jellyfish or a stingray on your face in murky water is not fun at the moment.

Here's a clip of an Opaleye getting polespeared. This dive was great although I had to be quick with the swimming to the reef and beware of boats, the true killers...

japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » June 26th, 2016, 11:51 am

Here's a video of my first flatfish one week ago. This was one of my first times spearfishing in the Baltic Sea. I've been getting to know other spearos in Finland. Great scene!
I'm glad to share a good moment here, hope you enjoy...
japppo
polespearo

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 8:40 pm

cool stuff Jarno. I just stumbled across your thread. My wife is Swedish and we spend summers there. It bums me out that you are not allowed to spear in Sweden. I dive there a fair amount, but have always wanted to spear Scandinavia. Thanks for showing us what it is like in Finland.

Do you ever shot Röding in the lakes there? One of my favorite fish. They are in Lakes everywhere in Sweden. Assuming you have them too.
db1
prick

Postby japppo » October 21st, 2016, 3:07 pm

Thanks db1, I think you mean Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus), nieriä in Finnish. Yes, we have them very rare and only in a couple lake systems. I believe it is protected from spearfishing. I've never seen one, but it would be nice.

Here's another clip I just made about polespearing Perch (Perca fluviatilis) in a lake. A lot of fish around but quite bad visibility, about 1,5 m I guess.

I just booked flights to Miami for next year. I'll be staying in Florida for two weeks (Orlando and Miami, late Feb/early Mar). Is anyone in need of extra hands on their boat, or just a buddy for a shore dive? Let me know. I'm bringing my own gear and polespear.

-Jarno
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » December 24th, 2016, 9:57 am

Winter Greetings to Everybody!
I'm keeping busy going through last years footage. Here's a clip from another shallow water perch stalking trip. Their curiosity is very high and especially with a lure mounted as a flasher on the speargun tip. The lakes are frozen and I'm planning for another under the ice session before my next trip to Florida.
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » June 4th, 2017, 5:22 am

Here's a video filmed in Denmark this May. I did a roadtrip from Finland through Sweden to Denmark for some spearfishing. There was couple days of fishing under the Store Belt bridge before a spearing competition in Copenhagen.

This was my first time spearfishing in Denmark, and this was my first session. There had been unusually long period of easterly wind, so the current was pushing northeast under the bridge. I did not dare to go too far because before the third pillar the current picked up heavily. I did not want to find myself on the wrong side of the bridge...

I saw a couple flounders and a school of garfish, and took some. I almost missed stabbing of the flounder, but learned from it. In the end I saw some sea trouts hanging around, but the minimum size limit was 45 cm, so I did not shoot any.

Athough I did not see any cod, I was happy too see some fish. Only if Finnish Baltic Sea coast was like this...

japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » June 20th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Another video from the same trip, this time pole spearing. At least I had fun by my self.

japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » September 2nd, 2017, 1:52 am

3 minutes of breams in the Baltic Sea, near Kotka. Bream seems to the the most common fish in the Finnish Baltic Sea coast and their numbers have increased. The freshwater bream (Abramis Brama) is a bottom feeder and it stirs up the sediment, making the water even more murky. This bream train was filmed during the Finnish spearfishing championships scouting day. Of course during the next two competition days I caught only two fish...
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » October 31st, 2017, 6:35 am

This was the first time I went pole spearing at night. It was a bridge between two lakes and there was some current. It was the best catch ever IMO.
japppo
polespearo

Return to Other states & International