Offshore Diving North East Style.

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Offshore Diving North East Style.

Postby Behslayer » August 16th, 2014, 7:15 am

I see a lot of posting of guys over on the Left coast headed offshore out into the Blue. Up and over here in the North East we've been putting in the time. Guys like Dashiel Marder pioneered Spearfishing out in the Canyons @ 60-120miles off the North East Coast, and this past week things happened which change the game. In the past, guys have shot plenty of nice Mahi, and even some smaller Yellowfin Tuna out there, seen an occasional billfish, spotted a wahoo.. but last week Peter Correale busted down the door of Offshore Spearfishing in the North East landing several Big Eye Tuna 100-200lbs during a very good weather window. Those were some very unlucky Big Eyes to meet a diver for the first time and for it to be Pete.. Congrats on setting a Milestone in US Spearfishing. Hope we get back out there soon.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Re: Offshore Diving North East Style.

Postby chris oak » August 16th, 2014, 7:45 am

Holy cow Jon that's a monster. Congrats to your buddy!!!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » August 17th, 2014, 3:17 am

damn that thing is a slob. Congrats to you guys!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » August 17th, 2014, 6:59 am

No fluke either.. more than a dozen were landed on different days. We're figuring out some things on this side improving our Offshore Bluewater Spearfishing. Spearfishing and Fishing differ in some ways. We don't need the fish to be feeding.. We just need to figure out where they are. We don't get the Kelp Paddies like you do out West, in the past Offshore Bluewater Spearfishing over here has depended on the luck of stumbling upon floating debris, or targeting the Commercial Lobster Pots for Mahi Mahi. But, guys are bringing techniques they've learned elsewhere into the mix, extensive use of Flashers and Burley, and setting up simple Fish Attraction Devices in advance which make the difference when diving out there. It's still a crap shoot with the weather. In the next 10 days we're lucky to get one 36 hour period to get out there. Mostly we go out there as part of a Rod/Reel trip. Troll before dark, chunk all night, Troll the early morning, Dive mid day.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby coreyf » August 18th, 2014, 9:26 am

congrats. i look forward to hearing more.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 20th, 2014, 5:13 am

Good times.
A few people have been asking for a story.. There was a Weather Window on Tuesday. Captain Louis had a charter of Rod and Reel fishermen and asked me to come along so we could check out some areas @80 miles out from a diver's perspective in planning for a spearing trip on the 24th. He said one other Diver was coming, a young guy, Manny, who has worked at the bait and tackle shop for the past few years. His first blue water experience.
Beautiful, windless morning. Louis's boat cruises smoothly at 40mph. We were at the first spot fast enough. An area Louis had been fishing with a lot of life. The fishermen started casting and jigging. Flyfishermen.. like a swarm of hornets. So, we slid into the water. Immediately I was smiling. Bait everywhere. Triggers, Decent Mahi, 5lb Trevally, small Amberjack. Clear 100ft+. I saw a school of Skipjack flutter by. I had many shots on nice Mahi but was waiting with my 4 band Gun. After about 10 minutes Louis wanted to troll out a bit more and then he and I would tend to some work we had planned. We jumped back onboard and Louis set out the trolling gear and almost as soon as everything was out, I saw this big floating Tree Branch.................. and that was it. Luck. An old, barnacle encrusted, 10ft, snarled up, Tree Branch. Louis stops the boat.
From the boat I thought I spotted a Wahoo but didn't take it too seriously. The fishermen did their thing and we slid into the water. I dropped my Flasher rig down to give a good 40ft of Flash tossed in some burley, and we got in the Water. Triggerfish, Amberjack, Trevally, Big Mahi. Amazing life. I grabbed a few butterfish and swam down to 40ft to get the chum by the Triggers and crushed it up. And in a moment.. a group of 30 big Wahoo swam up to me. They were not eating the chum. I saw some Fatsos, but I wanted to land one and I took my best first shot. I love my Ulusub 160 Mid Handle with Slip Tip and the Bluewater Reel set up. The fish takes off and I reach the surface with plenty of line on my reel. I look over at Louis who is only 100ft away in the boat and give a thumbs up as I'm being pulled along the surface. I was real light playing that fish and it took about 10 minutes to get enough line back to see the fish 100ft away. And when I did.. It was quite a sight. There was a 25lb Mahi swimming around it I think trying to eat it. At the same time about 20 Wahoo were in and out of the picture, and then from below, a vortex of 30-50lb Yellowfin came spiraling up almost to the surface. Quite exciting. I landed the fish, re-rigged and swam back to my flasher. Took one drop, and within seconds Wahoo appeared. I acted completely disinterested. I could see the Yellowfin below at @ 80ft. I could see Big Mahi actually biting my flasher. The wahoo started coming closer and closer and I lined up on a nice one and after another struggle trying to put as little pressure as possible on the fish, and some good line burns, I handed that one over to Louis. I re-rigged, found my flasher, burlyed up a few butterfish, the whole time I'm watching from the surface as 50 or more Big Wahoo swim around me. Big Mahi almost nibbling on my fins. Yellowfin coming up and down from 100ft to 40ft. I make a drop. Line up on a Nice Wahoo and I'm off on another ride. As I get him in close I call over Manny, who has been incredibly calm during all of this and tell him to swim down. Wahoo everywhere around my fish, he nails one and watches his float take off. After boating my fish I check on Manny and he is pulling that fish in one inch at a time with very gentle hands. I watch his back until the fish is exhausted and gives up the tail. High Fives and Big Smiles. Meanwhile, all hell is breaking loose underneath us. I'm rigged up and I drop down and level off on a Beast of a Wahoo. Every bit of 80lbs. And this thing goes straight down. I hit the surface and the fight is on. 75yds of line out straight down. Trying to be gentle, but this one was really giving me hard times and then a Big Tug and gone... not a good feeling in any way. With my shaft hanging 75yds below me, you can imagine what happens.. A shoal of Yellowfin 40-80lbs swims straight up around my reel line and literally comes to the surface. The guys on the boat see them and hook into one on a popper. Think about how fast you'd be trying to reload as you are being circled by Yellowfin Tuna in Rhode Island. And then the Shark showed up. It was just a Blue Shark, but he was completely lit up. I imagine he had something to do with my big Wahoo one way or another. Not huge, but not small. This thing was eating the silver tape on my flasher line, cruising around at high speed with it's fin out of the water. grabbing the Butterfish off my stringer, and being a big pest. I swam at him. No effect. I jabbed him so hard my tip went an inch into him leaving a hole and him stunned for second and he was still right on us. I have the same silver tape on my fins.. and it was unnerving. And at that point.. an 80lb Yellowfin Tuna leading a school of well over 100 fish swims underneath me. I drop on them, intersecting the Lead fish in 60ft of water, but literally swimming right behind this nice Yellowfin, is that damn Blue Shark. I have a clear shot. But at the same time I can't help but notice about 20 60lb Wahoo just above me.. I realize we need to deal with this shark. Captain Louis helps us out. He hooks the shark and hangs him on a big rod by the boat. Now we are clear again. Wahoo mania ensues. I take a sleigh ride on a nice fish that takes almost 1/2 hour to give up it's tail and at that point I'm completely exhausted and cramping up. I get in the boat and we head out to tend to some work we had organized pertaining to improving the environment for upcoming Dive trips. We were lucky. It was awesome.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Marko » August 21st, 2014, 7:25 am

Damn... That is incredible! Why dive the rigs off texas when you can go there for wahoo! Sounds like there aren't any bull sharks either! Did you get any video?
Marko
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 21st, 2014, 7:42 am

I didn't have a chance.. It was on.. then I was completely exhausted. There are sharks out there. We don't get the crazy Bulls like DAMS epic video, which is the only thing I could compare the concentrations of Wahoo to, but... there are BIG FAT tiger sharks and always the possibility of the real Beast showing up..
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Marko » August 21st, 2014, 8:06 am

Still sounds better than Texas. We landed a few fish with Keith, but the bull shark situation was nuts. Luckily I landed one of the first fish before the water got too bloody! Whatever the case, its absolutely fantastic that you have access to that kind of diving off the north east coast!
Marko
spearo

Postby VangysWay » August 21st, 2014, 9:04 am

Incredible story, sounds like a dream...
VangysWay
kook

Postby John Hughes » August 24th, 2014, 10:14 am

wow, now that's what I'd call a successful "scouting" trip!! Insane!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Oscar » August 24th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Damn that is a hell of a story and amazing trip.
Oscar
spearo

Postby Behslayer » October 2nd, 2014, 5:46 am

@ 4:30pm we came upon a huge field of Whales. Bigger Pilot Whales mixed with smaller Whales and porpoises over several square miles. I was still in my Wetsuit as I had been diving for Mahi Mahi earlier around some floating weeds. When we came upon the Whales I thought it would be cool to swim with them. So, I asked my brother to stop the boat. I grabbed my 4 band gun with slip tip and big Reel but didn't take my float and bungee I had in the boat. I figured I was going to have a swim and check out the whales and didn't really expect anything else though I did think there was a possibility of seeing YFT @ 100lbs. I also knew I only had a few minutes in the Water before the Fishermen on the boat grew weary of me a diving.... We were out there primarily to fish the Night Bite with Rod and Reel for YFT, Big Eye, and Swordfish. I asked my brother to throw in some chum out of habit. The Water was perfect. Blue. Warm @ 75+. Very Clear. I could easily see Whales 150ft away doing all sorts of maneuvers. It was awesome. I was in the water about a minute when something caught my eye down @60ft by the drifting chum. I looked down and to my huge surprise there was a group of about 10 Fat YFT swimming around eating the chum. I looked up at my brother on the boat and said "There's a bunch of fat YFT under the boat." Then I dropped down on them. I had no expectation for them to stick around, but there was still a few more pieces of chum so I angled away from the fish and towards those pieces of chum so I would intersect them. As I got to within 40ft of the chum line, to my complete surprise several fish peeled off from the group and headed up the chum line towards me. They weren't swimming lightning fast, and they were quite big targets, so I lined up on one of the smaller ones and when he gave me a more broadside view, I let loose a 20-25ft shot which hit the fish Center mass. I watched the Shaft go half way through the fish as it turned and took off. Holy Crap. Did that just happen? But before I had too much time to think, I saw my Reel was spinning very fast and I headed to the surface. When I reached the surface I let me brother know I had a fish on. My reel was now half empty and still burning. I had seen the shot was good and I was using a slip tip so I put some heat on the line with my gloved hand. The fish was dumping me straight down. By this time 200+ft of line had gone out. I was concerned that I might get spooled so I yelled over to my brother to throw me a Polyball fender we had in the boat which my friend Justin helped to attach to the back of my gun. That took away some of the anxiety and I focussed on fighting the fish. My main concerns were applying consistent pressure on the line, and swimming forward to keep any line I brought in straight behind me. The fish was really giving me hard times. It was a brutal battle. It is agony to raise a Tuna from 250ft with a Reel line when you are in the water, essentially Handlining the fish. But I knew that I had a good Shot with a Slip Tip and time was in my favor. I just had to be calm, and move slowly, yet still gain line at every opportunity. The fish was very hard to bring up. After 35 minutes, I got the fish up to 50ft and asked my buddy Justin to hold the line while I swam down and put a kill shot. And then.. I was in the boat. Completely exhausted, almost unable to walk.

YFT on a Reel is a battle. I wouldn't want to tangle with one much bigger than this one, but it sure was exhilarating and rewarding. The most important things to take away from this story is that Spearfishng with a Reel for big Pelagics is inherently more dangerous than using a Float. You need to constantly be aware of maintaining your lines. You aren't going to use the Reel like a Fishing Reel. It's just line storage. If you have a friend in the water who is experienced, you can ask them to help by reeling in extra line while being ready to let line out if the fish runs. Everyone in the water needs to have a Knife incase of any kind of line tangle. It can be helpful to attach a buoy to the back of your gun. I love Spearfishing with Reels, and I have made my own Reels for Pelagics for 20 years now. I have a lot of experience. In this case, the fish was not at all incapacitated by the shot. It was able to swim freely with the Slip tip. The Bluewater Reel never really came close to getting spooled, but I put a lot of pressure on the line almost immediately, there were no sharks that came upon the scene.. It was a lot of luck combined with a lot of past experience. 100% Fun.

Postby Behslayer » October 2nd, 2014, 5:47 am

Meanwhile... some buddies nearby had a different experience..
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » October 2nd, 2014, 6:05 am

!!!!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Behslayer » October 12th, 2014, 12:28 pm

Striped Bass?
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Marko » October 13th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Dude... Here I get excited about yellowtail... Thats ridiculous!!!
Marko
spearo

Postby John Hughes » October 19th, 2014, 9:15 am

wow John you guys are so stoked! Congradulations!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby catalina jay » December 5th, 2014, 4:45 pm

So epic! I have been thinking about moving to RI to be closer to my family, this definitely makes me feel better about leaving here. I grew up fishing out of ocean view de and we would go on h&l trips to the canyons for tuna, I always wondered if anyone did any speàring out there. I'll have to hit u guys up if I move east next year!
catalina jay
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » December 5th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Well.. it's butt cold now and no fish in the Water really until Mid April. There's still some waves, but it's quite brutal as we usually only get good waves associated with big storms. Lots of snow. But it is nice to have this kind of diving available some of the year. Okay, got to run and throw another log in the wood stove.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby AJP » December 5th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Cool thread. Excellent write-ups.

Did you go after any stripers around Montauk/Block Island this year, Jon? I realize that that would be much more inshore than your write-ups above. Just wondering...
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Behslayer » December 6th, 2014, 7:21 am

Sure, you can jump in almost anywhere around here from the Shore in Long Island or Rhode Island and shoot Stripers. My son and I and his crew do a lot of inshore diving for Tautog which are very tasty. There's always bass around, but the Tautog and Black Sea Bass are much tastier. I went out to Block Island a few times. Wasn't that challenging though. Swim down 50ft, 40lb Bass everywhere, shoot one in the head, swim up.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby chris oak » December 6th, 2014, 11:32 am

Man Jon you guys are tearing it up!! When you say black sea bass is it a type of east coast grouper?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Behslayer » December 6th, 2014, 2:19 pm

I think it is a grouper. They grow to @ 7-8lbs. People say they're the best eating, but there's a few great eating fish around here inshore like Tautog, Fluke, Lobster..

To my knowledge those were the first Wahoo ever speared up here, i.e. north of North Carolina, and those were the first Big Eye Tuna I've ever heard of speared on the East Coast. The only other time I've heard of Big Eye being speared was in the Gulf. I know people have shot Yellowfin around here before but I'd only heard of little runts like 15lbs before this year. I think this was the year where the guys focussed on the offshore blue water and brought some experience with them from other places. Guys like The Bandit. Also there was an incredible Bight which lasted more than a month with Huge herds of whales and porpoises. I think it was some kind of Squid bloom.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 1st, 2015, 11:47 am

First Offshore trip of the season out here.

Miles and miles of 50-150lb Bluefin right on the surface. Could literally shoot them from the boat if you wanted. Thick with sharks. I mean Thick.. We went out to Welker Canyon 155 miles out. 75 degree purple water. Crushed it on 50-70lb YFT. Like 8 on at a time stuff. Lost a nice sword when my reel froze after an hour of battle and he almost pulled me over the rail. Those Bluefin were toooooooo easy. It was all glassy and you could pull right up to them. So many different nasty looking sharks mixed in. But.... it is illegal to shoot Bluefin on the East Coast.

Bluefin Swirling.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » June 2nd, 2015, 6:06 am

155 miles out??!? That's a long trek, but that's some serious fish! Pretty cool.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby CDMdeepbreather » June 10th, 2015, 12:36 pm

My gosh, such an epic lunchtime read. Great stories Behslayer!
Stoked to be here!
IG: @matt_blackwill_photo
http://mattblackwillphoto.smugmug.com/
CDMdeepbreather
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » June 10th, 2015, 1:08 pm

So how do you find the tuna mainly? Do you just look for the fish boils at the surface?

If you meter the fish below (in like 100-80ft of water while you're trolling) what do you do first? Throw flashers, dive, throw irons, chum, or just ignore the fish because the tuna are probably moving too fast and will be gone by the time you reach them.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 10th, 2015, 1:51 pm

We mix Offshore Fishing techniques and Bluewater Spearfishing. So we'll be looking at Temperature maps and topography maps we'd use for Offshore fishing to find general areas. It's deep everywhere. 600-3000' deep. So we're looking for Temperature breaks.

Sight fishing, if you see a lot of life, i.e. Bonito or Skipjack, Heaps of Dolphins, Whales, Mantas, etc. it's a good indication. We'll keep our eyes peeled for Flotsam, i.e. a floating tree, or other floating structures. Sometimes it's glassy and you can literally see the fish. If you are trolling and you get 8 on.. none of the fishermen are going to want to stop and dive, but that means there are fish in the area, and if you do get a chance to dive and burley up and use flashers you'll have a decent chance at seeing something. Really what we're looking for is a Big Swarm of life. Maybe it's a floating Tree, or it's an area that is full of life. If you are in an area where people are chunk or bait fishing and catching fish, you would probably see a lot more than what they are catching. I've seen plenty of times where people are presenting nice baits and loads of fish are swimming around them. I learn every time I get in way out there. The best is to just try to get in start to develop a feel for it.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » June 10th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Fascinating stuff Behslayer! I love hearing all about your adventures/tips/techniques.

1) Can you name your floatline gear by the order it's connected (like for example spear shaft, connected to a 100ft bungie, to a 30l 15 psi Spearmaster float)?
2) How many feet below the surface did the biggest tuna pull each part of your floatline setup down? How heavy was that tuna?
3) Have you had any tear outs on tuna? What do you think caused the tear out? What have you done differently to prevent the tear outs?
4) How big of a tuna do you think you can safely land with your current gear?
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 11th, 2015, 11:18 am

I try to make most of my own stuff and try it out I've got an Ulusub Bungee and Ulusub Float. Both are prototypes we are developing.

I've had tuna completely disappear with the Big Floats and Bungee systems Andre made in Indonesia. Those were pretty buoyant, you could sit on them, but Dogtooth are beasts and there's a lot of current. It's not a good feeling when the buoys don't surface.

I'm not a Tuna expert. Just learning.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » June 11th, 2015, 10:19 pm

Behslayer wrote:I try to make most of my own stuff and try it out I've got an Ulusub Bungee and Ulusub Float. Both are prototypes we are developing.

I've had tuna completely disappear with the Big Floats and Bungee systems Andre made in Indonesia. Those were pretty buoyant, you could sit on them, but Dogtooth are beasts and there's a lot of current. It's not a good feeling when the buoys don't surface.

I'm not a Tuna expert. Just learning.

Dude you are the Tuna king for all I'm concerned! Those tuna are massive compared to what I've shot.

Thanks for sharing. And whenever you have the chance to hunt those monster again, please post up. I am living the dream when I read your reports.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 22nd, 2015, 6:56 am

Back. Managed to jump in for a look around @ 120 miles out. There was some incredible Purple Water 76 degrees, but after filling the boat with 700lbs of Yellowfin in two hours on Rod and Reel, and with 75lb+ Yellowfin and some Huge Big Eyes busting surface around us, we jumped in along a Temperature break with not perfectly clear 73 degree water. Chummed it up heavy. With about 50' of visibility, I saw some shimmering down by our drifting chum and lined up my 172cm 4 Band Shot Placer. As I descended into better view I thought man.. that is a Big fish!. And as I got a little closer, I realized it was a 10' Hammerhead and it wasn't alone. We retreated and saved ourselves to battle another day.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » June 28th, 2015, 11:06 am

It did not suck.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Dave Freeman » June 29th, 2015, 5:25 pm

That is a ridiculous shot! Those fish look like they have no intentions of going anywhere. Just swimming in a fish tank. Can't wait for a write up.
Dave Freeman
spearo

Postby Behslayer » July 1st, 2015, 4:23 pm

One of those sad stories that begins with, The one time I don't go.. Owing Bluewater Guns to a few guys in California during Bluefin Mania, I stayed in the workshop and my brother and a few buddies went out. Usually I have the boat loaded for bear, but it was supposed to be rough and they didn't bring any spearguns. Maybe it's a better story like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zs6XfLx7r8
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Dave Freeman » July 23rd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Wow that's a heartbreaker Jon.
Dave Freeman
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » July 23rd, 2015, 11:26 pm

Behslayer wrote:It did not suck.

Epic story's Jon, you guys are leading the way up there. This purple blue image is the drug that keeps you hooked for a life time of adventure. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » July 25th, 2015, 5:00 am

Good stuff. Chris Rowbottom is one of the more Stoked people I know and it's been great to watch him grow as a Spearfisherman. Yesterday @80 miles out, he placed a shot on a Nice Fish! A long way we've come from a year ago when nobody thought it was possible to shoot Wahoo in the North East. Congrats on the Pending Rhode Island ALL TACKLE Wahoo Record!
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby BeauG » July 25th, 2015, 5:21 am

That thing is a MONSTER! Congrats!
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby Behslayer » July 26th, 2015, 11:58 am

It did not suck part 2. El Bandito Pedro Correale back home.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » July 27th, 2015, 4:59 am

OMG those pics are killin me. You guys are crazy stoked!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby malibujohn » July 27th, 2015, 5:26 am

Cant believe I just found this thread. With all that's going on around here I had tunnel vision with the Cali. reports. These are nothing short of epic!! Way to go John, looing forward to more reports in the future! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
malibujohn
kook

Postby BeauG » July 27th, 2015, 6:07 am

Was that a Bigeye tuna that Peter Correale shot in RI!?
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby Behslayer » July 27th, 2015, 7:40 am

Yup Yup Yup. Stoke level is running high. Beau, that is correct. Bull Mahi, Wahoo, Yellowfin, Longfin Albacore, and Big Eye Tuna is what is for dinner. To put this into perspective. In the past year, the Spearfishing Records for Mahi, Yellowfin, Longfin Albacore, Big Eye Tuna, Wahoo, and Mako have all been established and or broken in the NorthEast. One year ago, to my knowledge nobody had ever speared a Wahoo, Big Eye, Longfin Albacore, or Mako in the NorthEast (i.e. North of North Carolina). Similarly, the records for Speared Yellowfin and Bull Mahi have all been broken/set within the past year. So, yes we are riding a wave of Stoke on this corner of the Coast as well. Strangely enough, all of these records have been set using Ulusub Spearguns.. which makes me kind of like a proud Daddy.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby BeauG » July 27th, 2015, 11:52 am

That mahi is beautiful! And look at the water! It's purple! :sleeping-drool:
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby Behslayer » July 31st, 2015, 7:58 am

Even just a 4' Barnacle Encrusted log can have an ecosystem around it when you are 100 miles out. As we approached this one, my buddy shot a nice Mahi Mahi and let it play a little down around 30'. The commotion brought in this Speedster and I was lucky enough to get a shot off. An hour later on a patch of weeds, we found ourselves with two nice Mahi thrashing around and I see this HUGE Wahoo shadow in. Both of our guns already fired, boat 100+yds away. I've got a 25lb Mahi in a Leglock trying to subdue him. I look back down to realize that this is not a 250lb Wahoo... rather it is a fully Lit Up 8' Mako that is intent on having Mahi Mahi for lunch.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » August 1st, 2015, 5:14 am

Behslayer wrote:Yup Yup Yup. Stoke level is running high. Beau, that is correct. Bull Mahi, Wahoo, Yellowfin, Longfin Albacore, and Big Eye Tuna is what is for dinner. To put this into perspective. In the past year, the Spearfishing Records for Mahi, Yellowfin, Longfin Albacore, Big Eye Tuna, Wahoo, and Mako have all been established and or broken in the NorthEast. One year ago, to my knowledge nobody had ever speared a Wahoo, Big Eye, Longfin Albacore, or Mako in the NorthEast (i.e. North of North Carolina). Similarly, the records for Speared Yellowfin and Bull Mahi have all been broken/set within the past year. So, yes we are riding a wave of Stoke on this corner of the Coast as well. Strangely enough, all of these records have been set using Ulusub Spearguns.. which makes me kind of like a proud Daddy.

I recently had a chance to look at Beau's new 67" Ulusub on a dive trip. Very impressive work John and I'm a tough critic. You have to be super stoked to see all those records taken with your guns. I haven't wanted another makers guns since I started using my Mori's years back but I may have to look at adding an Ulusub to the mix.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby GavinTexas » August 9th, 2015, 12:31 pm

Marko wrote:Damn... That is incredible! Why dive the rigs off texas when you can go there for wahoo! Sounds like there aren't any bull sharks either! Did you get any video?

That's exactly what I thought as I was reading this!

Just found this thread. Awesome fish man!
GavinTexas
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 18th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Hi John, Thanks so much. Mori is one of the people I think about when making guns. Ie is this up to Mori's standards. He sees things.

Gavin, we don't have the Huge numbers of sharks I've seen in some of the videos like Dam's epic. But what we lack in qty we make up for in size and diversity. I've been chased around by Blue Sharks, Makos, Oceanic White Tips.... smaller and Fatter Hammerheads lately. Often there are Huge Marlin which are unnerving. The spookys for me are all those Pilot Whales. I've heard stories, and they are Big. Ofcourse it hasn't escaped the attention that half the tagged whites from Cape Cod cruise through this area.

Well, the diving has not sucked. Here's a few photos from this week. The sharks are courtesy of my buddy Eric Savetsky who is an outstanding wildlife photographer and goes the extra mile. Pete Correale has a new camera and knows how to use it here's Loic Gouzer in a moment captured by Pete. Sick Shot Pete. Trevor Bacon with a Nice Big Eye Tuna. Our new blue realitas. Aduh. Bagus.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Next

Return to Other states & International