Offshore Diving North East Style.

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Re: Offshore Diving North East Style.

Postby BeauG » August 18th, 2015, 9:38 pm

What the hell?! That hammerhead is MASSIVE. Epic photos Jon!
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby Dave Freeman » August 18th, 2015, 11:26 pm

Wow, those are very long runs, but you guys seem to be making the best of it. Incredible photos and nice shooting.
Dave Freeman
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 21st, 2015, 4:14 pm

Congrats Pete C. on what we believe is the largest Yellowfin ever taken Spearfishing on the East Coast.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 2nd, 2015, 3:50 pm

Well it has continued to suck. This one has a big story attached.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 3rd, 2015, 2:43 pm

Looks like it sucks. And the conditions look terrible :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » September 3rd, 2015, 6:05 pm

There’s a story to that Yellowfin.
I was out fishing a Temp break about 100 miles out on my brother’s boat. We had put a few nice fish in the boat during the night and early morning and now we had a chance to dive. The boat was still fishing two chunk bait rods shallow and chumming. Me and my dive buddy from Bali and Marthas Vineyard Davo Holdsworth were diving right underneath the hull. Coming up ft from the boat. There were fish everywhere. Nice YFT busting the surface in the distance. Big Shoals of Skipjack and Bonito in Blue 100’ vis 80+ water. Primo.
I’m breathing up on the surface a few ft from the boat and Wham! I get smashed in the arm. Unsettling slow motion. I turn my head to get a face full of Tuna belly. WTF! I instantly think about a shaft. Davo must have shot this thing. The fish is now on my shoulders trying to behind me. No Shaft. Shit. Look out for fishing line and hooks. 1 second has passed. No line. Oh. Freeswimming Fat YFT on the surface. Shoot that. I grabbed the muzzle of my Long gun to try to pull it around, but the fish was so close that it wasn’t possible to reach the handle. Whitewater. This fish is going nuts. Then I look down. I see a Huge Bill slashing ft away from my chest. The YFT is on my back. This Marlin reminds me of a giant Bull Snorting pissed off that it can’t get it’s dinner. This is not a good situation. I look to my Dive buddy and tell him to get out of the water. Instead he angles off and laces that Tuna in the head off my shoulder. Blood and the tuna takes off and then all hell breaks loose. The Marlin chasing the tuna. The tuna trying to hide behind us. The most aggressive and incredible moves. Lines. Shafts. And then the Marlin snags himself on one of our baits and takes off at 100mph and shortly breaks off. We subdue that tuna as quickly as possible and get in the boat. Nuts. How big was that Marlin? Big enough to eat this Tuna. Check out the marks on the fish.
What did I learn? In this situation I was glad we were not using Cable Shooting lines. At one point I did have my gun aimed right at the head of that Marlin, but at that moment I didn’t feel threatened. Things could have easily gone sour in many ways. We were lucky the boat was Right there. I’m a big fan of making the boat the center of the drift in Bluewater diving. If the engine’s off the fish don’t mind it at all. I’ve shot plenty of nice fish right under the hull in Bluewater situations.
Anyways. Just a fish story.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 3rd, 2015, 8:33 pm

OMG that is one of the craziest stories I've ever heard. Glad you're OK John. I'm sure later your buddy was laughin his ass off shooting that thing right off your back! :eek: :eusa-clap:

I also find it interesting you guys are using mono. Reasons for that?
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » September 4th, 2015, 5:33 am

For one, we are shooting 4 Band guns with 5/16" Shafts. Those are what I have for our boat guns. In my experience, Cable will drag a bit unless it has a bigger shaft and a little more power. I make a gun which has 5 bands and an 11/32" which pulls cable like nobody's business.

For two, I have a nice, sharp, cheap knife. So does my dive buddy. But that's not going to help if you get a halfhitch of cable wrapped around your wrist etc.. this is the main reason.

We're shooting big fish, but we are using Bungees and Floats and playing them, or Reels and playing them. So it's not like a fixed object and a beast. I also use Chafe gear on the loops. And it's Deeeeeep. In Indonesia we always had problems with the Dogtooths going straight for the bottom and Mono could get cut pretty easily, but out here we are in 2000' of water. 400lb Mono is pretty strong considering we use 80lb on our fishing reels and land big fish all the time. Just need to play them.

It's just my personal style. I have friends who only use Cable and swear by it. But if someone is using cable, everyone in the water should know about it and be comfortable with it. To me. The worst case scenario, ie me, my brother, or one of my friends dissapearing into the Deep attached to a 100lb+ Tuna with a simple halfhitch around their wrist, and staying there for too long.. is not worth the added strength. Shit happens.

I'm in the process of developing a new shooting line and it should offer the best of both worlds. Very high breaking strength, cut by knife, and rigidity. I am doing some testing with it now.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 4th, 2015, 6:04 am

Fish was processed perfectly, divvied out amongst friends and family. Every piece was treated with respect.
Attachments
Last edited by Behslayer on November 21st, 2015, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Dave Freeman » September 4th, 2015, 1:51 pm

Wow you guys are adapting/learning on the upper east coast and very quickly. These stories are awesome and the photos are incredible as well. Keep them coming. I can't imagine being swiped at by a huge marlin. While a tuna is body slamming me. Insane!!!
Dave Freeman
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 4th, 2015, 4:35 pm

Sometimes you gotta fish.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 5th, 2015, 6:08 am

Behslayer wrote:For one, we are shooting 4 Band guns with 5/16" Shafts. Those are what I have for our boat guns. In my experience, Cable will drag a bit unless it has a bigger shaft and a little more power. I make a gun which has 5 bands and an 11/32" which pulls cable like nobody's business.

For two, I have a nice, sharp, cheap knife. So does my dive buddy. But that's not going to help if you get a halfhitch of cable wrapped around your wrist etc.. this is the main reason.

We're shooting big fish, but we are using Bungees and Floats and playing them, or Reels and playing them. So it's not like a fixed object and a beast. I also use Chafe gear on the loops. And it's Deeeeeep. In Indonesia we always had problems with the Dogtooths going straight for the bottom and Mono could get cut pretty easily, but out here we are in 2000' of water. 400lb Mono is pretty strong considering we use 80lb on our fishing reels and land big fish all the time. Just need to play them.

It's just my personal style. I have friends who only use Cable and swear by it. But if someone is using cable, everyone in the water should know about it and be comfortable with it. To me. The worst case scenario, ie me, my brother, or one of my friends dissapearing into the Deep attached to a 100lb+ Tuna with a simple halfhitch around their wrist, and staying there for too long.. is not worth the added strength. Shit happens.

I'm in the process of developing a new shooting line and it should offer the best of both worlds. Very high breaking strength, cut by knife, and rigidity. I am doing some testing with it now.

thanks for the response. Makes sense. I've never even dove for tuna, let alone big fish like that, but all I hear is how cable is a must. I see now alot would depend on what type of structure you're diving and as with all things, what you're comfortable with.

keep the stories and the pics coming! Unreal!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby BeauG » September 5th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Jon, you're the man! These photos and stories are insane!
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 6th, 2015, 5:42 am

Line burns.

On the way home the other day and my brother spots a floating bucket. Next to it is a Sea Turtle, and in side the bucket is a triggerfish. Underwater it's a pyramid of life.

One thing I love about Wahoo is that it freezes very well. These two were portioned and double vacuum bagged and double vacuum sealed and will provide about 20 dinners when the snow is deep.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Hookin » September 6th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Some great fishing! Congrats. Great stories too. Thanks for sharing.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby jimikinz » September 29th, 2015, 6:58 pm

Man I just saw this thread. You guys are killing it out there!! Nice work, and unreal photos.
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby Behslayer » November 20th, 2015, 10:33 am

This thread needs some updates..
Last edited by Behslayer on November 20th, 2015, 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » November 20th, 2015, 11:17 am

The winner of the first annual Ulusub Bluewater OPEN has been decided. The was an informal contest run in the Northeast this year. The rules were. South Carolina and North. Contest begins May 15 and runs through October 15. Best Bluewater Spearfishing Capture wins a new gun. Truth be told. I wanted that gun badly for myself and did my best to try to win it. Until last year there really was no Bluewater Spearfishing in the North East. There were some incredible captures to be considered and it was not an easy decision to select the winner. Chris Rowbottom's Wahoo entry was hard to beat. Very few Wahoo have ever been speared north of North Carolina. Chris nailed a 93lb State All Tackle Record. The fish was Huge. And Chris R is such a good guy and great member of the NE Spearfishing community. I tried to catch up with a few nice Wahoo catches, some really Big Bull Mahi, a few YFT/Big Eye, my dive buddy dave Holdsworth landed some beauty YFT and several Big Eye over 100lbs, but there was no disputing that Chris Rowbottom's Wahoo was the most outstanding Bluewater Spearfishing capture leaving from Rhode Island Shores this past season. Meanwhile our Southern brethren out of Montauk, NY had been giving it a go. Pete Correale may have landed the most, and biggest Yellowfin and Big Eye Tuna. He's a great diver with heaps of experience. He also put that gun down for a while and took up shooting behind the lens and captured some incredible images. Pat Wetzel is a class guy, oldtime Offshore draggerman and he got a nice Slob. Tony Lonesleeve Dooley is a great diver and put some good meat on the deck and took some great photos. There were others, some haven't shared their adventures and may have taken the purse. But.. there was one guy who could challenge Chris Rowbottom's wahoo, and that was Chris Miller. Chris started off the season earlier than anyone. He was born under the docks in Mtk. He's a commercial fisherman and spearfisherman to the bone, and the Bluewater Spirit runs strong in him. He fed fat YFT and Big Eye Steel all summer. It was the combination of several fantastic Yellowfin and Big Eye tuna, and Chris' Bluewater Spirit and sharing which added up to the win. Congrats.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » November 24th, 2015, 3:41 pm

few more
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby chris oak » November 26th, 2015, 9:19 pm

WOW!!! To say you guys had a banner year is the understatement of the century! Giant hoos, giant tuna, holy cow thats epic!!

What's the biggest tuna you think you've seen underwater there this year Jon?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Behslayer » November 27th, 2015, 5:44 am

Hi Chris, I had one instance where I had a shoal of Big Eye Tuna approach me. The closer fish were @ 150lbs, but there were some very thick shouldered fish which stayed a little deeper which I figure were 200+. Friends caught Big Eye over 250lbs on rod and reel. The Bluefin here get huge, over 1000lbs. But it's illegal to shoot them and they run in cooler greener sharkier water. The Yellowfin grow quickly and towards the end of the season they can be up to 150lbs. The Big Eye.. the jury is still out. A few big fish ie over 200lbs were spotted this year but nobody got a shot off. Some of this has to do with depth. Those bigger beasts usually stay deeper. The guys who dive 100' are the ones who have the best chance of getting a shot off at a 200lb+ Big Eye.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby chris oak » November 27th, 2015, 1:15 pm

That's flipping amazing. I saw my first tuna this year and thought they were 40's but since they were closer to dolphin size I'm guessing they were the bigger bluefin and just moving quick. I can't imagine how cool that is to have 150 lb tuna rolling by me, flipping amazing.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby castronova » December 30th, 2015, 6:19 am

It's pretty obvious I need to go into different areas of this forum because how in the hell have I been missing this. Completely awesome Jon. Subscribed.

Man am I jealous. I need to start searching far and wide here in the gulf/Florida straights. Maybe it's time to find some on deck gas tanks.
castronova
prick

Postby Behslayer » January 9th, 2016, 1:27 pm

This one is for you older guys. The ones who started the exploration, who defined the Bluewater Spirit. Thanks.

https://vimeo.com/151053522
Behslayer
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 9th, 2016, 2:16 pm

that video was classic! Thanks for sharing that.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Straz » January 24th, 2016, 10:09 pm

I like the video Jon. Thanks for sharing and the music was good too...
Straz
spearo

Postby Behslayer » March 10th, 2016, 7:56 am

What does El Nino look like on the East Coast? It's looking like May.. not July.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » May 11th, 2016, 5:45 am

countdown
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » August 19th, 2016, 5:21 am

And a long Countdown it's been. While the Mid Atlantic had their best early Bluewater season ever, with nobody diving... up here in the North Atlantic bluewater divers all chewed our fingernails, did a lot of pacing, and gardening. Meanwhile the Hook Tossers enjoyed a fantastic nearer shore Bluefin Tuna run. Over here it's Illegal to shoot the Atlantic Bluefin. They get Uge. 1100lbs. But there's also a whole heap of smaller fish in the 60-200lb range. A Damn fine fight on Spinning Gear with Topwater Plugs or Lures. Sometimes you got to fish. My 10yr old nephew is to small to Reel in this fish, but he was right there to watch his uncles, and help out 60 miles out. Whales, Porpoises, Big Tuna hitting the deck. He won't forget that too soon.

Back to the Offshore diving..
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby dpc » August 24th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Awesome photos and stories. Thanks for sharing!
dpc
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » August 25th, 2016, 7:52 am

Got out the other day. 100 miles out in a 30' center console with some friends on a dive mission. As we get within a few miles of the area we are to dive we start to see this huge mast. There's only two boats out here. Us and this 120' luxury catamaran sailboat. As we got to within 2 miles I said to my buddy, "This has got Pete Correale written all over it." And sure enough there he is, on this huge yacht with swiss Flags with all these hot Swiss maids... fucking legend. He's taking the owners on an offshore diving trip and they are literally swimming with Whale Sharks as we get there.

Back on the 30' Center Console the 5 of us hunker down in Bait Slop for the night. Thank God it's Calm. I haven't slept in weeks since I have a newborn. I was as excited to go to sleep as the others were at the streams of Yellowfin running under the boat lights. At 4am, they can't take it anymore and suit up with headlamps to jump in. Doesn't seem like a great idea so we drink some cold brew coffee.. and as the first glimmer of dawn shows, we toss over some chum and two guys slide in. It's dark. 2 Minutes later I see a buoy tombstoning. Ryan Proulx had nailed his first YFT ever the day before and it's not even 5am and he's landed his second. Now if only he could get that first Wahoo... and there it is. It's been awesome to share the stoke with some of these guys like Ryan who are hardcore experienced divers who grew up fishing up here offshore and diving inshore and see them have these great experiences.

We got some other great fish on this trip and the diving was fantastic. This year has been different from last in the way the Water moved in. While we haven't seen the numbers of Tuna yet, the Dorado run has been Exceptional. Many Big Bulls. How's this 45lb Stud Bull New York Local Offshore Captain Scott Troise whacked.

Nobody has put in more time diving offshore this year or with more success than Pete Correale. I'll borrow some of his pics here to show you. He's been capturing great images out there as well. He's been out with a bunch of his friends who are also good divers like Loic Gouzer who nailed this fine looking Butterball YFT.

How good is this? Mtk Crew Lance, Chirs Miller, and Patrick 'Sausage Fingers' Wetzel, getting into a pack of Wahoo.

It has not sucked. Let's see how things go as we move more into the Tuna Season.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Schwaman » August 26th, 2016, 2:20 am

:greetings-clappingorange: :eusa-clap:
Schwaman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » August 28th, 2016, 11:36 am

glad it's starting to heat up for you guys out there. Keep the photos coming!!

100 miles out in a 30' boat with 5 guys :eek: :obscene-drinkingcheers:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » September 11th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Let's put this into perspective. How's these two smiles. Ryan Proulx and Carl Morlock. Ryan is a Police Officer. Carl is a Fireman. Both of these guys are great divers who have put in countless hours diving inshore since they were tikes. This was Carl's first YFT speared in the NorthEast. How many people have actually speared a nice YFT in the North East.. ie North of Florida? My best guess is 12? I could be wrong.. but that's my best guess. How's this 44lb Dorado? Who knows what happens now. This is the time of year we can get an incredible Chunk bite.. what means if those hook tossers can luck into a fish, we can fill the coolers with our skill set. But the tempest is upon us with the winds.. we had 50' seas and 70mph winds in our diving areas all last week.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » September 14th, 2016, 6:17 pm

https://vimeo.com/182784091?ref=fb-share&1

Some nice footage from Nantucket Island based Underwater Videographer and general legend Eric Savetsky from this past week. Eric is awesome. Nobody puts in more time offshore up here looking for Sharks, Whales, and Bluewater Pelagics to film than Eric.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » September 14th, 2016, 8:18 pm

Gorgeous
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Behslayer » September 15th, 2016, 5:28 am

He said there were some other things under that log too....
Behslayer
spearo

Previous

Return to Other states & International