Cali man in Kiwi land

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Cali man in Kiwi land

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 7th, 2015, 5:18 pm

Taken a few guys from your State out spearing here and just another guy named Tim out yesterday trying to tip over one of our kingfish.
Day started off pretty good with light winds and warm,for here, with 50ft viz and tons of bait fish.
Tim made his first drop and was using my Abellan 130 to see if he liked it and shot a nice king which quickly peeled off line from the reel.He started making headway as the fish tired when it just took off and then nothing :mad: ,strange he said as the shot was solid.
A couple of minutes later a friendly mako shark came in on him to say thanks for the easy meal....
Carried on diving there for a while but the tide was changing so things went pretty quiet,pulled the pick and moved to another spot which dives better with the change of tide.
I was busy trying to shoot some trevally when I hear a Tim yelling kingys and fish on,I shot over to him to keep an eye on his fish as I knew the bronze whalers were now in residence and love a free feed.The fish was giving Tim a pretty good fight and he eventually managed to subdue a nice king which clocked in at 42lb...his best yet so was happy days.
I was starting to feel the pressure as I still had no fish and the new kid on the block was showing me how it's done!!
Finally on a drop at 70ft I got a chance on a wary king and put a solid shot through it with the bleutec raptor and after a short fight had a 35lber on the deck.
We called it a day and stopped at the scallop bed and limited out on 3 dives on super fat scallops...good eats
Finished off with a cold beer and a bit of sashimi and a happy Cali man who took my Abellan off to a new home
Attachments
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Re: Cali man in Kiwi land

Postby n1kke$1xx » January 7th, 2015, 11:03 pm

Beautiful fish ikan! Are you on the north or South Island? New Zealand is on the top of my list of places to visit some day, mostly because I wanna get a fat hamachi lol! Ikan means fish in Ilocano right?
https://www.youtube.com/user/N1kkeS1xx
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 8th, 2015, 5:07 pm

I'm at the northern end of the North Island,a place called Bay of Islands
If you want a fat kingy head on over,can sort you out a dive no probs to get some fresh sashimi ;)
A guy I know speared one 108lb the other day which is just shy of a WR and his girlfriend got one 84lb a week or two ago,at a pretty isolated area though...
Ikan is Indonesian for fish
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Bamz » January 8th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Nice Kingies!!! Is that your boat behind you? What is it? post up some pics! Looks interesting the way the sides come up. Fiberglass or aluminium?
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 10th, 2015, 12:10 am

Hi Scott
Boat is alloy which is by far the most common material boats are made out of in NZ,they may not look pretty but are very functional.
That boat is my inlaws which I'm borrowing while my new hardcore spearing machine is getting built.
It's a pontoon boat and goes really well for a 13ft boat,if you google kiwi craft boats it will give you the info on them
Cheers
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby n1kke$1xx » January 10th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Ikan Hunter wrote:I'm at the northern end of the North Island,a place called Bay of Islands
If you want a fat kingy head on over,can sort you out a dive no probs to get some fresh sashimi ;)
A guy I know speared one 108lb the other day which is just shy of a WR and his girlfriend got one 84lb a week or two ago,at a pretty isolated area though...
Ikan is Indonesian for fish

Thanks Ikan thats mighty generous of you! If you ever come to maui I would be happy to return the favor.

108 lbs thats crazy! One day Ill get my hamachi...
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby dam » January 10th, 2015, 7:45 pm

Way to share the stoke with us Cali guys, Ikan Hunter. I can't even imagine what a +50lb yellowtail (kingie) would look like. Are you willing to do a seabass/kingie exchange program?
dam
sea slayer

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 10th, 2015, 9:48 pm

Hi Dam
Yeah a WSB is on my list of fish to tick off and next year I'm hoping to finally get back over to the USA as my last kid is heading to university so can escape home a bit easier.
In the mean time if you want to come over and chase some kingfish just sing out any time from now through to June is a great time to whack and stack them.

Thanks n1kke I was in Hawaii back in 1988 but did no diving would love to chase some Mu,always such a challenge,well for me anyway!
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby ApneaAddict » January 13th, 2015, 10:51 am

Nice fish and gorgeous scenery! New Zealand is on my bucket list for sure. Thanks for the report.
What's the point of a hobby if it doesn't fill your stomach?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaHunter
ApneaAddict
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 18th, 2015, 6:48 am

thanks for sharing the photos and the hospitality! That is definately an interesting looking ride and some nice fish.

Doors always open over here when you're ready to knock that seabass off your list.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 20th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Thanks John
I should actually of titled this Cali Men not man as I have taken out two guys from your way who are doing an epic sailing trip from the States through the South Pacific on their own yachts with family.
Anyway I mentioned to them a place about 150 miles north of where I live that produces some monster kingys where I could nearly guarantee they would have the chance to shoot a 70lb plus fish...
They offered for me to join but unfortunately work got in the way,so they went up on their own....
The boys just got back today and enjoyed the diving immensely as you would when one of you spear a 95lber and the other got one 102lb !!!Pretty awesome kingys no matter where you live or dive
Will ask them if I can post some pics as not sure if they are on a forum at all but don't want to steal their thunder without checking
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby dam » January 20th, 2015, 8:40 pm

OMG! What is this magic place?!! And did you call it or did you call it! That's crazy, Ikan.
dam
sea slayer

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 21st, 2015, 9:44 pm

Haha if you come over here I will show you Dam
A lady I know just shot a pending WR kingfish there a week or so ago. 108lbs!! Just a shade under her partners one (108.7lb)a couple of weeks earlier.
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 21st, 2015, 9:46 pm

Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby AJP » January 23rd, 2015, 11:59 pm

^^^ Wow!
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby dam » January 24th, 2015, 11:28 am

Jesus! New Zealand 2016 on the agenda!
dam
sea slayer

Postby Namor » January 24th, 2015, 11:51 am

Holy cow that's a crazy fish to spear!

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby Oscar » January 24th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Damn those are some HUGE Kingies!!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Oscar
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 25th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Not the greatest pic but here's one of the boys with their fish
This is a 95lbr
Attachments
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby n1kke$1xx » January 25th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Epic fish!!!
n1kke$1xx
spearo

Postby AJP » January 25th, 2015, 8:22 pm

How does the taste of the bigger kingfish compare to the smaller ones, or is there no noticeable difference?
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 25th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Most of the kingfish we get are put in the smokehouse and those big fat kings come out fantastic,the small kingys from 25lb down are cooked up,sashimi,cerviche etc
Smoked kingy straight out of the smoker takes some beating that's for sure....
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby jtully » January 27th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Wow... I'm also one of the many that have New Zealand on my bucket list. This thread got me inspired to do a little google earth daydreaming while on my lunch break. I went straight for your Bay of Islands and was so impressed with the landscape. I scoured so many little coves and points and closed my eyes picturing what the underwater structure might look like. Or what it would be like to finish a long dive and relax on one of those remote island beaches... So much amazing landscape to take in. I need to make sure I change my way of thinking about New Zealand. Can't think of it as a dream of mine, but a goal...
Josh Tully
jtully
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » January 30th, 2015, 7:31 pm

If I ever make it to NZ, it won't be for another 10 years or so when my kids are out of school and I'm retired, but thanks for the story. I can live out some dreams over here through your words and photos!

If and when you ever make it over here for a wsb, you'll be welcome on my boat...
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 31st, 2015, 9:33 pm

Thanks for the offer Lou,will let you know when I finally get around to getting over there.
Same deal if you get over here will take you out or if I'm to old by the time you get here Mitch my son will take you :)
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby coreyf » February 6th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Andy, wheres the red boat? Is that blue tinny a new ride?
coreyf
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » February 8th, 2015, 12:07 am

Hey Corey how's things going
Have sold the red boat and have been borrowing the inlaws 4.5mt boat to keep me wet.
Getting a new boat built which should be all done next week.
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » March 28th, 2015, 12:53 am

Finally got my new boat on the water and after a few sea trials and a bit of fine tuning it was all ready to run hard and fast so with Californian Tim back in the Bay of Islands after his South Island adventures we got together at 7.30 at the ramp and bee lined to look for snapper.Dropped Tim on a favourite stretch of coast,gave him a few pointers on hunting the wily snapper and gapped it to dive another regular spot.I picked up a couple of snapper to 10lb and missed a sitter 14lb+ :angry-cussingblack:
Picked up Tim but he had no luck so we blasted out to look for some kingys and after a lot of dives I finally nailed a 30lber to join a bunch of trevally in the iceytek bin.Tim who had been sitting on the boat having a breather,had just got over the flu,got fired up and jumped back in and after a few dives nailed a fat as butter 35lber...happy days
I just need to get him on to a snapper before he leaves on his yacht heading to the warmer climes of Fiji ..
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Hookin » March 28th, 2015, 9:54 am

Nice boat and fish i have never been to New Zeland but i have been talking about moving there for a change of pace once school is done. This thread only excites me more about moving. With all the hunting and fishing New Zealand has to offer i dont think i would get bored.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby chris oak » March 28th, 2015, 3:24 pm

Wow that's a beautiful sleek boat! Does it handle rough water well?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Ikan Hunter » March 29th, 2015, 11:20 am

Hookin if you like hunting,spearfishing or line fishing you will never get bored over here..
Plenty of places to hunt all year round and is free in most areas.

Thanks Chris,yes boat handles very well considering it's only 18ft with a 175hp.Goes better at speed as it only lands on the very back of the hull making for a soft ride for an alloy boat anyway.
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 11th, 2016, 12:37 am

Took a guy out yesterday who lives in San Diego for a dive,he's a mate of another forum member Srapp.
The weather has been crap here for the last 10 days with rain and big swell,not much of a summer for us so far but yesterday was a better day and tho the sun was shining the swell was still running pretty good making for pretty average viz.
Anyway I met Californian Willy at the ramp,thru his gear in the boat and we blasted out looking for a spot calm enough for a snapper hunt until the tide started to run and get some current at the kingy spots.Gave Willy a few pointers on hunting our wary snapper and left him to it while I tried somewhere else.Long story short we both got zero but in our defence we were limited to dive spots with the swell.
We gave the snapper a miss and I took him out to one of my kingy spots to be greeted with some pretty sloppy conditions and viz a hazy 25ft ,I gave Willy the lowdown on where the kings generally hang out and to stay out the front of the rock to be at the head of the current ripping thru.I swam up to the spot and on my first drop had 4 kings come in and stoned one around 28lb and as I pulled it up the others just hung around checking out there dead buddy..where the hell was Willy ..I looked around and saw he'd drifted away down the side of the rock so I yelled at him to get his arse up to where I was which he did but by then the bigger kingys had lost interest and drifted away except for a smaller one.
Willy dropped down and spined it,awesome he'd shot his first NZ king but when he bought back to the boat it had suffered from the shrinking disease once it came out of the water..
I had to remind him we have a 75cm minimum size on our yellowtail...oops
We swam back up to the spot and I made a dive to 60 ft and had a lone king come in so shot that and swam it back to the boat and put it in the chillibin.
I went back and joined Willy who still hadn't got a legal king and as I relaxed breathing up I saw the yellow hues of kingy tails down below so I dropped down onto a school of 30 plus nice sized fish when I noticed Willy coming down on them too so I backed off to give him a fair chance at them ,we were both at about 40 ft and I could see he couldn't make his mind up which one to shoot..this one that one maybe that ones bigger all I was thinking was pull the bloody trigger before they disappear but his patience paid off and he put a good shot thru one which later weighed 34lb gilled and gutted so would of gone close to 40lb intact.
High fives all round as not only was it Willys biggest yellowtail it was also his best fish to date!!
I shot one more kingy plus some trevally and we stopped on the way back in to load up on some nice fat scallops,was a great day with a good keen Cali Man and he will be back out with us again to add a snapper to his list
Attachments
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 11th, 2016, 6:44 pm

another awesome report even with mediocre conditions! I love to take guys out who have never experienced what we have here, I just wish I could put them on PB's every time like you! Thanks for the report and the hospitality!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby srapp » January 14th, 2016, 4:28 pm

Willy the baby killer! :angry-nono: Tell him to get off his ass and get a job haha, thanks for taking him out Andy. Hopefully I can make it out there in 2017 :obscene-drinkingcheers:
srapp
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » January 14th, 2016, 8:45 pm

[quote="Ikan Hunter"]
Anyway I mentioned to them a place about 150 miles north of where I live that produces some monster kingys where I could nearly guarantee they would have the chance to shoot a 70lb plus fish...

Hey Kiwi....Keep those Cali boys off my super secret big rocks up to the North, the big Maco's and swordies will snack on their pretty underwater disco balls before makin it real. ;) Please just send them to Lake Taupo to fly fish and drink tea at the Huka Lodge. ;)

Hey mate are these guys still around? :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

All the best, Don

P.S. If I had one place in the world to live, fish, dive and farm it would be BOI. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Ikan Hunter » January 14th, 2016, 11:47 pm

Had Willy out again today but no PBs this time John :) but he sure had an opportunity!!
I think he is now on the forum so maybe he will tell some 'tails' later on...
Was pretty damn rough out there today and we are all a couple of inches shorter after a fairly gnarly boat ride,we all had a few opportunities and all lost fish which we couldn't quite work out as the shots were all good but end of the day Willy was stuck behind the camera this time taking the pics :D

Donzi the boys have left NZ one of them is still cruising the Pacific living the dream the other is back in San Fran doing the grind like a lot of us poor souls!!
Don't think Huka Lodge would be in their budget ;)
Did you get to dive the Kings? ,that place is unreal everything is big up there including the Makos....

That pic of yours is a classic mate,Port Valley is one of the oldest spearfishing clubs in NZ and I've been a member on and off for many years.
Did you know any of the guys in the club?,Chris Browne and Geoff Cookson,Cooky, both NZ spearfishing champs were my mentors years ago ,more so Brownie.
Sounds like you spent some time here?

Hey Scott I don't think Willy has any plans of working he'd much rather come out diving and send you pics of nice kingys he's speared;)
Got a guy from the east coast of USA turning up soon,will see how fairs against you west coasters ....
Attachments
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby bottomfeeder » July 18th, 2016, 5:52 pm

Well I'm back at work now mate, only it's in Australia. Haven't had much success diving here except for a few cray and abs. Been trying to get up to Evans Head and get some good winter dives in, but haven't had the opportunity... Those kingies that ripped off the last time we went out in New Zealand still burn and probably won't go away until I get another. Those snappers you posted on Instagram looked tasty though!
bottomfeeder
noob

Postby Ikan Hunter » July 22nd, 2016, 11:54 pm

At least you got to hang onto the biggest one you shot ;)
You better come back over for another crack at some kingys..only a short flight mate!!
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Return to Other states & International