Puerto Rico for family vacation & spearing/surfing?

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Puerto Rico for family vacation & spearing/surfing?

Postby SBH2Oman » January 16th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan a trip for my extended family and thinking about Puerto Rico. I've been there a couple times on business (and will be back in March/April again), and I've been out with Roberto Reyes (super nice guy, btw) and had fun shooting AJs and small jacks.

I want to find a good warm water destination in July, August, or early September where we can all relax in a rented beach house (or two) and there's something for everyone to do. The biggest challenge is that I want to bring my healthy, active 75 year old Mom. She's a seasoned traveler, but not quite up to Panama or other more exotic locations, and while we've had some great times in Hawaii, we're looking for something different.

The ideal location will offer calm clear water for the young kids (9 and 12) to snorkel, some interesting restaurants and shops and maybe a yoga or spa activity for the ladies (18 YO daughter, wives, mom) and good nearby spearfishing. Driving distance to a good surf break would be a nice bonus. We'd probably hire a boat for a couple days (if we can find a reasonably priced one) and then do some shore diving. We've got a pretty good budget, since this is something we do every other year, and there's probably not too many more years we'll be doing it all together.

Any recommendations on areas I should look for rental houses in PR? Any other comments (or suggestions of other locations besides PR?)

The main requirement is the ability to get there within a day of flying from California and without too many complicated stops (easier on my Mom). Reasonably priced flights, and the activities I mentioned above. I've considered Costa Rica, but I'm not sure it would be comfortable enough for my Mom..

Thanks,

-Brent
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Re: Puerto Rico for family vacation & spearing/surfing?

Postby SBH2Oman » January 31st, 2015, 12:39 pm

Hmmm I guess no one has ever been to Puerto Rico. I'll have to write some good reports when I get back! :-)
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Hookin » January 31st, 2015, 12:53 pm

Thailand is beautiful but I havent been in over 10 years kind of a longer trip. What about other islands around Puerto Rico? Looking forward to a report when you come back.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Joey Colazas » January 5th, 2017, 11:16 am

SBH2Oman wrote:Hmmm I guess no one has ever been to Puerto Rico. I'll have to write some good reports when I get back! :-)

Hey brotha, how did you do? I'm going there on a surf trip in a couple weeks and im bringing my guns!
Joey Colazas
noob

Postby SBH2Oman » January 5th, 2017, 11:49 am

Joey Colazas wrote:
SBH2Oman wrote:Hmmm I guess no one has ever been to Puerto Rico. I'll have to write some good reports when I get back! :-)

Hey brotha, how did you do? I'm going there on a surf trip in a couple weeks and im bringing my guns!

We ended up going to Sicily instead (had a great time!). But I have done some spearing a few years back with Roberto Reyes. Good guy, and the spots we hit were very close to where he keeps his boat. I was solo, so I didn't want to spend the $$ for longer range stuff. Shot some cuda and used it as burley then shot some jacks. Pretty fun day and Puerto Rico in general is a place I like to visit. Make sure you get up into the hills and try some lechón!
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Behslayer » January 5th, 2017, 1:28 pm

The surf can get huge. Last time I was there it was 20'. This isn't me in the photo, but that's how big it can get that time of year. Not sure where you are going, Roberto Reyes is The Man in PR and has been doing Spearfishing Charters there for a long time and knows everything has a boat etc. Anthony Dooley from Uncharted Studios in Rincon runs some local trips if you are going to that part of the island. Good Deep reef and Wahoo diving. You can find both of them on Facebook.
Attachments
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Joey Colazas » January 9th, 2017, 12:45 am

Thanks guys, I've been in contact with roberto reyes and plan on getting a trip in with him. As far as the surf goes, I'm aware and pumped to get some bigger surf, especially considering the way the "lake Pacific" has been behaving lately.
Joey Colazas
noob

Postby Behslayer » January 9th, 2017, 9:57 am

This next swell looks like a Direct Hit.

http://stormsurf.com/locals/natla.shtml
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Behslayer » January 12th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Big Swell.
Behslayer
spearo

Return to Other states & International