Spearfishing: Playa del Carmen

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Spearfishing: Playa del Carmen

Postby Michaelpjob » July 28th, 2015, 5:16 am

Hey guys,

I am headed out to Playa del Carmen for a week in September and am looking for some tips about diving locally. I am planning on scheduling a one day charter (was looking at Arpon) but also am debating bringing a gun and doing a few shore dives. I'm sure some of you have been down there and I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance!
Michaelpjob
spearo

Re: Spearfishing: Playa del Carmen

Postby japppo » January 31st, 2016, 12:17 pm

Hey,
I went to Playa del Carmen in March 2010. I did shore diving on the reefs about 400 m from the shore. The reef breaks the surface and is surrounded by about 3-5m depth. About 600 m from shore theres a ledge about 10-12 m deep.

I saw local guys going spearfishing, but aside a large barracuda that was stalking, I did not see anything that I would spear. Small reef fish mostly. I even paid for one charter to take me snorkeling, but they took me to the same reef, what a waste.

Here's a link to my photos from Playa del Carmen in case interested:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1035321740 ... 0300Mexico
- breathing is just a feeling -
japppo
polespearo

Postby japppo » January 31st, 2016, 12:21 pm

Oops, I guess you went there already...
- breathing is just a feeling -
japppo
polespearo

Postby Hookin » February 2nd, 2016, 3:50 pm

I dove with arpon and Leo's. I saw many fish with Leos charter just didn't connect. It depends on current from what I understand. There was no current the day i went out with arpon. Leo is doing a buy 2 get the 3rd dive free. However there were 11 people on Leos panga. On the arpon boat was 5 total including captain and guide. Only peoblem I had was the guide shot the one fish I saw that day out from under me. It was a nice hog fish too that I dove down to 60 feet to shoot.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Michaelpjob » April 28th, 2016, 11:21 am

A bit tardy but...

Arpon was alright. I almost got run over by the boat and the gear that they gave me was trash but kinda what you expect. The guide was a cool guy but didn't know how to guide, mostly just shot fish so we could have something for tacos later. I think that the charter is more setup for newbies not anyone who knows what they are doing. Then again I didn't shoot much so maybe I fall into the latter :eek:.

I brought the polespear and did a few dives off the beach. Word for the wise bring a float. Although I swear to god the jetskis were using me as a marker to race around haha. But the local reefs are a bit overfished, I imagine it's just like diving here the farther you get away from people and the more difficult the spot the more fish.
Michaelpjob
spearo

Postby Hookin » April 29th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Michaelpjob wrote:A bit tardy but...

Arpon was alright. I almost got run over by the boat and the gear that they gave me was trash but kinda what you expect. The guide was a cool guy but didn't know how to guide, mostly just shot fish so we could have something for tacos later. I think that the charter is more setup for newbies not anyone who knows what they are doing. Then again I didn't shoot much so maybe I fall into the latter :eek:.

I brought the polespear and did a few dives off the beach. Word for the wise bring a float. Although I swear to god the jetskis were using me as a marker to race around haha. But the local reefs are a bit overfished, I imagine it's just like diving here the farther you get away from people and the more difficult the spot the more fish.

I had the same experience with arpon. Then he wanted to take pictures of me with the fish he shot out from under me. He then gave us fish for tacos at the restaurant. Not a guide at all but he is a great diver. I didn't get to shore dive but I did see quite a few fish when walking the beach. Bummer arpon was a similar experience for you too.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 8:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, was it Javi? The guide?
db1
prick

Return to Other states & International