Bali hot dogs

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Bali hot dogs

Postby Ikan Hunter » October 24th, 2015, 4:16 pm

Another family/dive holiday over and done with for the year...
Went to Bali with wifey and my daughter,leaving my dive buddy son working on the jobsite.
I told him he could come but he had to pay for the plane ride and we'd cover the rest...but nup he'd rather spend his money on a deer hunting trip!! Fair enough I guess..
Anyway was a pretty low key trip this year,hitting just a couple of my usual haunts ,bar one,but was good fun all the same
First stop was out on one of the Gilis,a group of Islands off Lombok,where I'd been before and dived with the numerous turtles there but never spearfished...transport here is still horse and cart no vehicles which is pretty cool
I'd already made contact with an Italian guy living there doing spearfishing trips before I left home and he had made some pretty nice catches there and by all accounts was an excellent spearo so was really looking forward to diving with him and to hopefully learn something from him but unfortunately when I arrived there and made contact with him he was stuck in a hospital with badly infected hands requiring surgery...not good!
Not the start I was hoping for but managed to meet up with a couple of local spearo boys who took me out for a couple of hours but was pretty much a waste of time and money as we only went out a few hundred metres past the main swimming beach..at least I got wet tho.
Left there to more familiar hunting grounds,put my gear in the room had a quick bite then left the girls and caught up with my usual outrigger boat captain and got out for a late arvo dive doing drifts over the usual spots.Picked up my first fish of the trip a nice GT at 55lb which was a good start and I saw a few more including a school of a 100 plus fish but the current was so strong it was hard to even track the very fast moving fish with the gun so didn't risk sending off a crap shot.It was good to see plenty of fish as what used to be a place that didn't see to much pressure has now become a very popular destination for spearos from all over the place ,in saying that I never saw another spearo over 10 days of diving.
Next day we headed out and on my first drift I saw 3 very nice doggies hanging well off to my side and obviously very cagey about divers,I hung there looking away slowly drifting in there general direction and one of them around 70lb turned and angled slightly towards me,coming just within range of my Bleutec OB125 and I should of shot right then but I thought just another couple of feet closer and I could be sure of a good shot but it angled away almost immediately..I fired on instinct and knew I shouldn't have as it was max range.
Looking through my video footage I saw the shaft hit a bit low in the back third of the dogy and as I was heading back for the surface the first 35lt RA float was heading straight down with the second nearly submerged,impressive power as I can't pull one under in the swimming pool no matter how hard I try,for a moment I thought the shot would maybe hold but there was too much pressure going on to the fish without having a better holding shot so the inevitable happened and the float exploded back to the surface...no sashimi tonight
Pressure was coming on as the team all love a good feed of dogtooth sashimi so as I headed out for day 3 I needed to make better use of my chances of which I had a few and ended up with a 20 and a 25lb dogy so I took a large chunk of it up to one of the local restaurants for dinner that night and cut up another load into sashimi which went down a treat along with a couple of bintangs..
Last day at this spot and I'd told my captain Nengah I want a fish for the local boys who come and help with the launching and retrieving of the jukung each time we went out as up till now what I didn't eat he would take some to eat and sell the rest for himself but the other boys were missing out.So we headed out to a reliable GT spot I'd come across that had a ripping current going over the top of the reef and the GTs would hang down off the side in the deeper water..first drift over and 50 plus fish came up and I just shot the first one I could get a bead on as I was flying over the reef stoning a 28lber and after a few more drifts 5or 6 came in under me and I stoned another 45lb.
Back to the beach and nengah reluctantly handed the smaller GT over which got chopped up and shared amongst the boys ..said our goodbyes and told them I'd see them next year and we moved on to our next location.
We were fortunate to score a real nice villa with a big pool for a pretty good price so this was base camp for the next seven days,hired a scooter and went down to catch up with me old mate Nyoman and got organised for a quick afternoon dive so we headed out and I picked up a 20lb dogy and a nice bluefin trev.
Headed out the next morning and dived hard trying to find that elusive big dogy,only seeing one but he didn't want to know me and slowly drifted out of view but I picked up another smaller one 25lb then decided to move into somewhere out of the current and not so deep even though I had been limiting myself to dives no deeper 75ft as I was diving by myself after making a lot of them it starts to take it out of you..well me anyway.
I started diving a bay with some scattered reef structure and was seeing the odd small Mu,so I'd sussed out a good looking hiding spot under a coral bommie and drifted down tucking myself in under it flicking up some sand.A few small Mu hung around just in range then a suicidal one about 5 or 6lb came flying into check me out and realising just as quick that it was the wrong place to be but too late as I strung with my 105 Raptor....sweet these things taste great I thought to myself.
Headed back to base stopping at one more reef where I picked up another GT then on another drift half a dozen wahoo glided on in and I got a long shot into one so played it real gentle and finished the day off with a 15lb wahoo..small I know but only my second and that lovely white flesh tasted fantastic.
I dropped the Mu off to a spot in town having never eaten there before I wondered what sort of a job they would make of it...I ferried wifey and daughter down there on the scooter and first up they bought out a large bowl of fish head soup which was without a doubt the best I'd ever had and then out came a plate of grilled fish with an array of sauces and local vegetables ...exceptional!!
I dived a few more days and the water went cold ,real cold I was in a full 3mm suit and I was shivering and the diving had become real hard but managed to still pick up the odd bluefin trev,GT and a couple of doggies up to 35lb.
I'd now dived 8 days straight and needed a day off to recover and also spend a bit of family time before my wife and daughter strangled me;)
I had two more days till we left so Nyoman and I crossed over the reef heading to the nearby Islands and thankfully the water had warmed up and if felt a lot more fishy again and after a solid session I'd put a couple of fish on the boat,nothing big big but good eaters so once again I dropped one off to what was now my favourite restaurant and once again they produced a stunning meal of Ikan pepes and sate lilit,minced fish and coconut on satay sticks, plus that great fish head soup.
The last day and I knew I was running out of time to nail a big doggy but I'd found a good spot further from the island I normally dive out on the sand where on most dives I'd see smaller dogtooth which I'd been leaving alone hoping to see a big boy.
On one of the drops I drifted down to 65ft and the usual school of 15 to 30lb fish were cruising around when down deeper a big shouldered dogy was slowly making his way off so I carried on dropping on him and at 80ft I had to take the shot as it was starting to depart..
The shot was good hitting from above in the back end of the fish pretty much stoning it so I made the climb back up to the surface and started retreiving a barely fighting dogy then nothing the line went slack ..I was gutted as not only had I just lost a 80lb plus dogy it would die for sure,a total waste and I felt pretty bad about it but shit happens.
I was still fishless on my last day so pulled my finger out as I wanted to get some fish for Nyoman and also some to take back to the hustle and bustle of Legian for our last couple of days in Bali.
I dived hard through the afternoon and picked up 25 and 28lb dogy plus a ripper rainbow runner and on the very last dive of my trip as I lay on the bottom waving goodbye to my underwater home a jobfish came into say goodbye as well and ended up coming along for the ride back to Legian and into the fridge at the villa...what a great way to finish another Indo excursion !!
Back in seminyak I was killing time in a surf/dive/ coffee shop having an iced coffe while the girls shopped and they had a couple of HSD mags on the table so starting browsing thru them and who should I come across amongst those pages but the legend himself Corey F;)
Good story bro..sure helped me to kill some time!!
Till next year....
Attachments
Sunset
First fish on the deck
Gannet dive getting a work out
Captain Nengah
Sashimi time
Late arvo GT
Sharing the bounty
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Re: Bali hot dogs

Postby Ikan Hunter » October 24th, 2015, 4:29 pm

More pics sorry...
Attachments
Good guys
Good eats
Black bruiser
35lb dogy
Reef crossing
Old friend captain Nyoman
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » October 24th, 2015, 4:32 pm

Just a couple more..
Attachments
Last days catch
Legend ;)
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Oscar » October 25th, 2015, 5:13 am

You are living the life! Great read - thank you.
Oscar
spearo

Postby Schwaman » October 25th, 2015, 10:33 am

Nice report, and some beautiful fish!
You seem to have Bali pretty much figured out.
Was that the Nyoman from Jon at Ulusub? I think I went out with the same guy!
Cheers
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Behslayer » October 25th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Wow, you did alright! It's not easy diving for Doggies, especially on your own in those currents and you scored some beauties. I remember diving inside those little islands a long time ago and it was just Fulllllll of Mu. Then came back a few months later and some Klengs had Dynamited the entire area. It was just as Suharto had been deposed and there was a time there where dynamite fishing and cyanide posioning were rampant. Looks like things have actually improved. Then again, as you know, sometimes it's just fishy. Moon, currents.. etc. Good to see you again old friend.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Ikan Hunter » October 25th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Yeah your right it did get bombed there for a while then it stopped until a couple of years ago and some "fishermen " from Lombok came over for another go..my mate Nyoman and the other local fishermen loaded up there jukungs with rocks and went out and stoned them..they haven't ever been back!
Definitely more fishy this year and you are right regarding the moon,tides,currents etc,I try and figure if out but it's pretty hard over there as it can change so quick...I rely heavily on nyomans experience as he has fished these waters for decades.
I dived the island well north of the small rocks and struck the current coming from a totally different direction I'd ever had there and it was strong!..the bait was there and I cautiously dived to 50ft wary of the current and started rapidly drifting along ..I checked my watch and I'd already been pulled down to 75ft,no wonder I had to keep on equalising,this happened quicker than you would believe.I swam with the current and up hit the surface got back in the jukung and went elsewhere....
I think I know where you would of seen all those Mu,that place still can dive real well despite the endless stream of bubble blowers and fishermen though nothing like it must of been in the earlier days when you first started diving there..man that area must of been something else back then!! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Is this the Nyoman you are thinking of Schwaman?
Attachments
Nyoman
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby Schwaman » October 26th, 2015, 12:12 pm

Nope, i went with a different guy.
So many Nyomans and Wayans ect :-)
Schwaman
spearo

Postby coreyf » October 27th, 2015, 1:36 pm

Congrats on another successful trip. The Mu photo is a pretty impressive spread of fish. Wahoo trip this year?
coreyf
spearo

Postby dam » October 29th, 2015, 2:29 pm

Schwaman wrote:Nope, i went with a different guy.
So many Nyomans and Wayans ect :-)

Shoot! You know Nyoman and Wayan, too?! Sounds like those guys get around! :bowrofl:

Ikan, you're a freaking legend. I run out of steam on my 3rd day and here you are pulling 8. Reading all this makes me realize I need to go back ASAP!

sate lilit,minced fish and coconut on satay sticks, plus that great fish head soup.

OMG! :'( :sleeping-drool: :sleeping-drool:
dam
sea slayer

Postby John Hughes » October 29th, 2015, 7:49 pm

Ikan, you're an animal. Thanks for posting, definately impressive!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Ikan Hunter » October 29th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I thought I better clarify..I did dive eight days straight but not the whole day normally just a 5 or 6 hour session or I'd be running out of steam as well Dam!!!
Pretty easy choice to go diving when it's shopping or spearing.. :D

Where's all the Wahoo Corey???
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby srapp » November 4th, 2015, 12:17 pm

Thanks for sharing Andy, hopefully when I get older I can still diving on your level!
srapp
spearo

Return to Other states & International