Your first one

Feeling like you don't belong? No worries, your foreign reports belong here it's all about worldwide access!

Your first one

Postby Ikan Hunter » June 20th, 2016, 12:20 am

As the saying goes you always remember your first one and Shae certainly won't forget his...
Shae who is 17 is doing his building apprenticeship with me and like all the guys that work for me they are into the spearfishing,hunting,fishing etc and Shae is no different.
He has done a bit of spearing nothing too serious getting the odd snapper crayfish etc but had yet to tick a kingfish off his list.
So last Saturday he met me at the ramp,loaded up his gear and we headed up the coast out of the bay of islands,my usual haunt,up to the Cavalli islands.
After a quick 45 minute run we arrived at a spot I've dived plenty of times before called the Teapot.
The tide wasn't running the ideal way for this place but we jumped in to be greeted with hazy 20ft viz but loads of big koheru bait fish,similar to mackerel, a good sign as these are kingy candy.
We'd been in the water maybe 15 minutes and I'd seen nothing after making several drops when I looked behind me and saw Shae 5ft under hanging onto his little float with 45ft of floatline on it,he hit the surface and said he'd run out of line ..yeah I see that I told him so just pull some in it can't be that big ...
Knowing he was attached to his first kingy I thought I'd better drop down and check his shot was OK as he'd be gutted to loose it.I dropped down to see a very nice kingy with an average shot going nuts making it real hard to get a bead on it but finally got a shaft in it clipping the spine slowing it right down.
Shae started pulling it up and it just kept getting bigger and at the surface if was high fives and smiles..he was rapt when I said this will go over 50lb and when we swam it back to the boat then dragged it in I realised it would crack 60 which it did pulling the scales down to 66lb!!! Not bad for your first one :eusa-clap:
I shot and lost one 40lb or so and was starting to look like the beginner,it seemed my bad run of late was set to continue..
We headed back to the Bay ,it was getting late and I still had zip,we stopped at a favourite haunt of mine and I picked up a nice crayfish..at least I had something!
Time for one last snapper snoop ,Shae dropped me off and anchored the boat half a mile down the island and I made my way towards the boat diving like a man possess trying to redeem myself and with only 5 minutes left till I got to the boat I nailed a nice fat 17lb snapper pheew a little bit of credibility back
But the day certainly belonged to Shae ,,first kingfish 66lb shot with a gun he made himself!!
We got back to the ramp as the sun was going down nearly 10 hours after we'd left
Man he was stoked and just quietly I was too :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Attachments
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Re: Your first one

Postby Alex Ray » June 20th, 2016, 6:05 am

Slug! I dig the phrase "snapper snoop"
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 20th, 2016, 7:19 am

A helluva nice first one.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby BobM » June 20th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Great, got more of the story. Thank for posting.
BobM
spearo

Postby BigJim » June 20th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Awesome!!!

Congrats to both of you and thanks for sharing!!

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby dam » June 21st, 2016, 10:37 am

Alex Ray wrote:Slug! I dig the phrase "snapper snoop"

Yeah! Amongst other words :bowrofl:

Hey, I haven't shot a kingy either. Can my first be 66lbs as well? Also, you don't have to try to build credibility with me. You're already a hero in my book.
dam
sea slayer

Postby Ikan Hunter » June 22nd, 2016, 11:45 am

I think you would of popped your kingfish cherry a long time ago Dam ;)
Thanks for the vote of confidence tho ...:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Ikan Hunter
spearo

Postby woody » October 6th, 2016, 6:32 pm

That's monster Kinkg
woody
kook

Postby John Hughes » October 7th, 2016, 2:44 pm

I can only try and imagine how hard a 66lbr would fight. Wow. Kid is stoked on his first and I know you are too. Nothing like putting your buddies on slugs, especially when it's their first. Now I'm sure he believes all the stories he's been hearing at work. :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Other states & International