Looking for a short pole spear

Sell it, borrow, beg and steal. Okay maybe not steal.

Looking for a short pole spear

Postby Steve G » July 25th, 2017, 12:23 pm

My neighbor wants to introduce his 10 y.o. son to spearing. The kid is a fantastic swimmer though a bit small, we thought a used short pole spear would be ideal. He will likely grow out of it quickly. If anybody has one collecting dust let me know what you want for it.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve G
kook

Re: Looking for a short pole spear

Postby Kirby » July 25th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Hey Steve-

You might want to tell your neighbor to get a normal sized polespear. Shorter spears can be a bit more dangerous because you can accidentally shoot yourself. And to accommodate for a youngster, you can get a longer, thinner band and as he grows and gets stronger, you can increase the band thickness while sticking with the same spear.

I would recommend a one piece, lightweight, aluminum, ~6ft pole. The one piece is more durable than the screw together "travel" spears. The lightweight is handy when you have a less powerful band.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject!

Cheers,
-Kirby
Kirby
spearo

Postby Steve G » July 26th, 2017, 7:45 am

Thanks Kirby. That is good information that hadn't crossed my mind. My neighbor already has a longer pole-spear so it would be a simple matter of picking up some lighter band material.
Steve G
kook

Postby John Hughes » July 26th, 2017, 10:35 am

Hey steve I have a brand new JBL 6' pole spear that has been sitting in my garage for a few years. Probably needs a new band although it's never seen the water.

You're welcome to have it for your buddy if you want. It might go a little ways towards paying you back for that awesome venison you kicked me last time I saw you!! That stuff was epic :hi5:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Steve G » July 26th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Thanks John. Glad you liked it. I think that we have a solution based on Kirby's response. We will try that out first. I appreciate the offer.
Steve G
kook

Return to Classifieds