Seared WSB with epic pan sauce

Epic mealtime ideas

Seared WSB with epic pan sauce

Postby Austin Balk » May 26th, 2020, 9:35 pm

This is one of my all-time favorite ways to cook WSB and halibut.

Take your fish out of the fridge and let it come up to nearly room temperature. Season both sides liberally with coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Pre-heat your oven to 400 or 425 degrees.

Get your cast iron or other oven-safe pan super hot and add a little bit of high-heat oil (I Usually use avocado oil).

Sear your fish on one side only... for about a minute if it’s a halibut or if you shoot tiny WSB like me, and a bit longer if yours is thick. Then flip it in the pan and immediately put it in the hot oven for 3-4 minutes if thin, again slightly longer if the piece is thick.

Take the pan out of the oven and immediately transfer the fish to a plate. Put the pan on medium heat, add butter and sauté garlic and shallots until they begin to caramelize. Add some capers and once they are heated through deglaze the pan with a little white wine (use a wine that you like and drink the rest with dinner). Allow the alcohol and some of the liquid to cook off, add a little more butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and pour the finished sauce on the waiting fish. Enjoy!
Austin Balk
polespearo

Re: Seared WSB with epic pan sauce

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 28th, 2020, 7:10 am

Thanks. If I ever get another wsb I'll try that.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Austin Balk » May 28th, 2020, 8:17 am

You will be so glad that you did, Bill. Just remember to adjust your cooking times up a bit, because your next fish is gonna be HUGE.
Austin Balk
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » May 29th, 2020, 5:08 am

Looks great!
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Recipes