Yellowtail Belly Lox

Epic mealtime ideas

Yellowtail Belly Lox

Postby chris oak » July 29th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I saw my buddy Ryan Moore post up some pix of his so I begged him for the recipe. You definitely want to try this one, it is flipping fantastic. I made probably five pounds and ate a full pound last night to test it, then I brought some in for my coworkers and they also scarfed some down. You probably can use other fish and also different parts of fish but during my research they said salmon is normally used because of the oily content. Thus I choose yellowtail belly.

Ingredients
4-pound yellowtail fillet (preferably the thick belly section)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup Kosher salt (I didn't have kosher salt so I used 1/4 cup table salt)
2 teaspoons black ground pepper
3 juniper berries (I couldn't find these so didn't use them)
2 cups fresh dill (stalks removed, finely chopped) Good luck finding it, I had to go to 3 stores.
Optional: Chili pepper flakes

Filet out the rib bones in the yellowtail belly area. Remove skin, you will see a beautiful piece of meat that has fat striations in it.

In a bowl, mix the sugar, salt, peppercorns, chili (if using), juniper berries, and dill.

Tear off a piece of saran wrap and lay it flat. Take a piece of yellowtail belly and put it on the wrap then cover it liberally with the bowl mix. Flip it and repeat. Do the same with the second piece of filet and put them together, flesh side down on top to create a "yellowtail sandwich". Wrap the fish pieces tightly in the plastic wrap.

Put the "yellowtail sandwich" into a shallow baking dish, making sure the fish stands higher than the sides of the pan. Place a baking tray on top of the salmon and weigh it down with any heavy object, like canned beans, rice bags, or heavy books (covered in plastic wrap to avoid passing on fish smells). I used two 4 lb small weights.

Put the fish into the refrigerator and leave it to cure for 3 to 4 days. There will be a ton of fluid coming out the first day from the osmotic flux, drain it and flip the pieces. During the day I'd drain and flip and at night I'd separate the fish stuck together and flip the pieces and rewrap. I did this for three days, turning the fish twice a day and reweighting.

On the third day I couldn't stand it anymore and then I tried it. I cut the piece thin and ate it straight, it was delicious. Then I grabbed some french bread, cut a tomato and put a little mayo on it and cut another thin piece and placed it on top. It was so good I ate a whole pound. My boss is jewish and loves lox, I gave him a chunk and man he said it was great.

The lox will keep well in the refrigerator for five days. I put the rest in the freezer immediately and will eat it for the next couple of weeks probably. From now on I will probably have this as a staple in the house.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Yellowtail Belly Lox

Postby Avenues » July 30th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Wow thanks for sharing Chris!! Definitely going to try this one.
James Grover
Avenues
kook

Re: Yellowtail Belly Lox

Postby chris oak » July 31st, 2020, 11:00 am

Avenues wrote:Wow thanks for sharing Chris!! Definitely going to try this one.
James you are going to love this one, i've been eating it almost every day. People have been asking me about using it on tuna or wsb but I'm not sure, tuna bellies for sure will have enough fat but there's a lot of blood in that meat and wsb might be too lean. For sure yellowtail bellies have been a hit, I'll try some other types later on.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Recipes