Fish Burgers

Epic mealtime ideas

Fish Burgers

Postby chris oak » August 27th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Alex Ray was the one who gave me his basic recipe, it was something I had never even considered and now I can't imagine how this has not blown up sooner. I read thru a lot of tuna burger recipes online to pull what I thought would make a good burger.

You can probably use any fish, my gut feeling is calico or rockfish would be even better. I used yellowtail because I had a surplus of it. The way I did it was probably similar to the way alex uses his fish. I sashimied the fish first. Then I made some into poke. Then I grilled and smoked some. I still had a lot left over so I cut out all the red meat and did the following:

2 pounds uncooked fish (yellowtail in this case)
1/2 onion
1 egg
1 cup panko japanese bread crumbs (regular breadcrumbs would probably bind it fine as well)
1/2 TB chopped garlic
1 TB mayo
1 TB onion powder
1 TB garlic salt
1 jalipeno if you want it spicy
2 TB worcestershire sauce
olive oil and large frying pan
hamburger buns, cut tomato, cut onion, pickles, cheese and whatever else you like on your burgers

It was easier using a food processor than cutting by hand but you can dice up the fish by hand.
I threw the onion in the processor first. Then added the fish slowly. Then added egg, garlic, mayo and worcestershire.
Mix until it is in a paste. Mix in onion powder and salt. Finally add the breadcrumbs. The mix should be wet but not super runny.

Preheat your pan with olive oil. When it is ready flatten the patties into size of your bun. They should be fairly thin, maybe 1/2 thick max but I liked it even thinner. Fry the paddies, if you like
things extra salty I would sprinkle salt on them as well. The patties will cook fairly fast, you will know when they are done when the meat turns to a white color on the inside. Pull them from the heat, add whatever cheese you like. Toast the buns.

For sauce I made homemade thousand island which is mayo/ketchup/mustard/onion/relish, you can look it up. My gut feeling is that a chipotle dressing would be fantastic with spicy jack chedder cheese. Once everthing is done, throw it together like a regular burger. Serve with your favorite beverage. My kid tore it up, he ate two which is a lot for a 7 year old.

Word to the wise, the fish will have a slight bland taste unless you season it as above. You might add more or less to the meat to get it the way you like it but man it was good. We liked it so much I told my kid I'll make him another one this weekend.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Fish Burgers

Postby 32juan » August 27th, 2020, 7:11 pm

That sounds great! I'll try that soon.

My wife makes fish cakes with leftover fish from the previous day. Super good. Thanks for sharing!
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
kook

Postby Nate Baker » August 28th, 2020, 4:49 am

Yeah Alex got me started on these too. I like that they're so easy to pull off, particularly with a food processor. Plus, they're super versatile. I don't necessarily stick to the recipe. I just stare at the spice rack until something inspires me. I've never had a miss.

Two things I've learned -- Unlike hamburgers they don't shrink when cooked, so make them the size you want them. Also, cook them soon after making. Sometimes if I make them several hours ahead they can fall apart as the egg gets fully absorbed by the breadcrumbs and loses its binding qualities.
Nate Baker
prick

Postby chris oak » August 28th, 2020, 7:17 am

Nate Baker wrote:Yeah Alex got me started on these too. I like that they're so easy to pull off, particularly with a food processor. Plus, they're super versatile. I don't necessarily stick to the recipe. I just stare at the spice rack until something inspires me. I've never had a miss.

Two things I've learned -- Unlike hamburgers they don't shrink when cooked, so make them the size you want them. Also, cook them soon after making. Sometimes if I make them several hours ahead they can fall apart as the egg gets fully absorbed by the breadcrumbs and loses its binding qualities.

Thats what I found out the hard way. The first one I made gigantic thinking it would shrink. It didn't. Because it was so big and dense, it lacked flavor so I boosted up the onion powder and garlic salt on the second batch. Bummer about them having to be cooked right after, I have probably three more burgers worth in the fridge, I'll have to add some more binder.

This definitely opened up the door of possibilities. I get tired of sashimi and poke which are two of my favorites. The smoked fish is fantastic and my friends and coworkers loved it but it's a bit of a pita to do all the time. The burger recipe can be done easily enough, it's going to be one of my staples. In fact we've been making vietnamese spring rolls lately and this would be a good ingredient as one of the meat fillers too.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Recipes