Octopus Kelaguen (Kelaguen gamson)

Epic mealtime ideas

Octopus Kelaguen (Kelaguen gamson)

Postby jaguigui » December 15th, 2013, 4:31 am

Hi guys, stopping by right now to drop a recipe for the octopus i caught from my report.
This dish is normally served on special occasions in Chamorro culture and it can take some time to make, so
this is not a rachel ray 30 minute meal.

What you'll need:
-octopus (generally i like to use 2-4lb ones for a decent sized bowl of kelaguen)
-1/2 white onion
-2 to 3 stalks of green onion
-table salt
-coarse hawaiian salt
-lemon or lemon powder
- donne' (pepper, the hotter the better, but you can adjust according to your preference)
- light beer (for cooking and drinking with the dish after)

It is best to freeze the octopus for at least a couple days as this will help tenderize the meat. I prefer non-chewy octopus.
Defrost octopus and massage it with coarse hawaiian salt to remove the sliminess in a NON-METALLIC bowl. Cut right below the eyes of the octopus separating its legs
from its head. Cut above eyes to separate head from eyes. Cut out the octopus "beak". Remove innards from head (usually helpful to cut the three to four tendons attaching the innards to the head then pull out, save innards for chum/burley).

bring enough light beer in a pot to a boil, place octopus in boiling beer, reduce heat to a slow roll. Cover pot. Let it boil/simmer for AT LEAST 45 minutes. Bigger octopus
need more time typically 1-1.5 hours.

while waiting for octopus to be cooked mince onions, green onions, and peppers. Mince the white onions really small, the bigger the piece, the more sour it will be.
Prepare ice bath for octopus when its done boiling.
Place octopus in ice bath when done boiling (you can tell if its done by sticking a chopstick in the meat, if it goes cleanly through, its done).
Cut octopus into bite size pieces, leaving the skin on. In a large ceramic/plastic bowl mix cut octopus, onions, and pepper and massage.
Dash salt and lemon powder to taste (the lemon should definitely be tasted in the dish, but not too much to overpower it and make it sour).
Let sit in fridge for about 2 hours. Garnish with green onions.

Serve with white rice or with pan-fried corn titiyas (tortillas) seasoned with garlic salt. Enjoy your favorite beer as a compliment.

here is a pic of the finished product:

jaguigui
spearo

Re: Octopus Kelaguen (Kelaguen gamson)

Postby Namor » December 15th, 2013, 2:17 pm

i had this dish in saipan and loved it. if i can find a pus im going to try ypur recipie. thanks for posting it up.
Hafadai
jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby Bamz » December 15th, 2013, 2:42 pm

That looks good! Gonna have to try it.
Thanks
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby jaguigui » December 15th, 2013, 5:48 pm

no problems guys! on a side note, don't use metallic bowls cuz that'll give it a metallic taste.
don't use dark beer for boiling (way too expensive and you don't want to disrespect a good dark beer for boiling octopus and it
will overpower the taste of the dish).
drink dark beer after cooking.
Enjoy!
let me know if you guys got any more questions.
jaguigui
spearo

Postby John Hughes » December 17th, 2013, 3:19 pm

that looks delicious!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bowhunter » December 17th, 2013, 3:25 pm

That is one of the best ways to eat octo in my opinion.
A buddy got me on that recipe,we he returned from working in Guam.

He said to squeeze the chili & puss till you hands looked like the spent to much time in the water.
He used those small Thai peppers that bring tears to ones eyes.
Keep the beer close.
Chuck
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby Kevin » January 2nd, 2014, 9:55 am

This looks great. Have an octopus in the freezer that I will be testing this on soon.
Kevin
Manufacturer

Postby Mahtzo Lou » January 3rd, 2014, 10:13 pm

Thanks for the recipe Justin, I've got some octopus in the freezer and I'm gonna try this.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby db1 » September 11th, 2016, 9:09 pm

Looks awesome! I love octopus and am always searching for recipes.

Just a question... do you freeze the octopus whole? Or should you clean/gut it before freezing? I am always skeptical of freezing stuff that hasn't been cleaned.
db1
prick

Postby JasonWilliams » October 25th, 2016, 4:23 am

Hi guys! Thanks for the shared recipe. About the lemons... If you have a spare lemon in your fridge, just use it wisely: http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/spare-lemons-left-in-fridge-use-them-wisely. I'll bookmark this page. Keep in touch!
JasonWilliams
noob

Return to Recipes