Fish Quenelles

Epic mealtime ideas

Fish Quenelles

Postby flattie » December 31st, 2014, 10:55 am

This is something different. Green Bean wanted me to post my fish stock recipe. It is basic except I add a lot of bay leafs to give it a florally scent. Then I use that to poach my fish quenelles or I'll make soup.
Fish stock:
fish head and bones
onion
garlic
celery
carrot
thyme
10 bay leafs
salt and pepper
Add twice as much water as you need and boil for as many hours as you need to reduce by 2/3.

Fish Quenelles:
Put a box of mushrooms in the food processor and mince finely and set aside.
Then cut up your fish into pieces and add to the processor along with onion, parsley, one egg white and cream till smooth.
Then make quenelles with two spoons(look it up)and poach them in the fish stock until they are done. About 5 minutes and set aside.
Reduce the stock by half and add the mushrooms and cream.
Place the quenelles in a baking dish and pour the sauce over them and top with parmesan cheese.
Put them in a 450' oven until they are brown on top and enjoy.

Note: I made my quenelles big. About 3"long and served three of them as a first course at an elegant dinner.
flattie
spearo

Re: Fish Quenelles

Postby Greenbean88 » January 6th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Thanks for putting that up I think I'm going to try that this weekend.
Greenbean88
kook

Postby VangysWay » January 6th, 2015, 6:56 pm

I made fish stock at my parents house recently with yellowtail carcasses, only to be woken up being yelled at that I made their entire house smell disgusting and to "take that shit out right away." I guess an overnight 18 hour simmer wasn't such a great idea but it was damn good!!
VangysWay
kook

Postby flattie » January 9th, 2015, 5:49 pm

I really like the extra bay leafs. They make it very floral and I cook outside because as much as I love it my wife only likes small portions. Good luck
flattie
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 12th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Paul do you make that on the water on your boat or just at home? I've only made fish stock once and man was it good. I'll def be giving your recipe a try!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby flattie » January 14th, 2015, 6:07 am

Only at home Chris.
flattie
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » January 14th, 2015, 8:09 am

I love fish, I hate having my house smell fishy. I use the side burner on my BBQ for frying, making stock, etc. whenever I can. A cheap big 5 propane burner would work well too.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby db1 » November 17th, 2015, 10:24 pm

Paul this sounds so good. Gonna do this with the leftover fish in my freezer when I'm up in Mammoth over Thanksgiving.

No bread crumbs huh? I would have suspected they'd be in there... ok cool. Does it work with YT or better with white fish?
db1
prick

Postby SBH2Oman » November 30th, 2015, 8:24 pm

I cooked professionally in upscale kitchens for about 10 years and one of the rules for making fish stocks was not to over-boil them! It is not like making roasted veal stock that will become Demi-glace (thick and syrupy) where you want it bubbling away for days on end to extract al the flavors. Fish stock should be light and fragrant.
Fish bones release their collagens REALLY fast, so the better method is to (1) remove skins (2) mince your aromatics finely and (3) cook the stock for about 30 minutes. No more. This will make a much lighter, less "funky" fish stock that will be much more versatile. And your neighbors won't hate you! :)
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby db1 » January 10th, 2016, 9:14 am

I've heard that also.. But I am always so tempted to keep on boiling and reducing the stock... But I think you are right. Thanks for the tip.
db1
prick

Return to Recipes