Yellowtail Jerky V4.0

Epic mealtime ideas

Yellowtail Jerky V4.0

Postby Pierreyaldo » June 2nd, 2015, 11:48 am

Hey gang,

So over the last few weeks Ive been working on perfecting my yellowtail jerky recipe, its taken a while as it only works well with fresh fish, otherwise the taste gets a little too fishy. After a few unsuccessful attempts im getting really close to perfection and thought id share:

Ingredients:

- 1 pound Yellowtail, sliced into super thin pieces (1/8inch thick or less, otherwise inside will be too moist)

- 1 cup soy sauce

- 3/4 cup teriyaki sauce

- 1/4 cup apple juice

- salt and pepper (as much as you prefer)

- 1/3 cup brown sugar

::making the jerky::

1) mix all the shit into a bowl

2) make sure the yellowtail is free of any and all bloodline and dark meat (itl come out gross)

3) toss in the yt and make sure it is all just covered

4) let sit for a few hours then mix it up again and let it marinate overnight

5) the next morning, put them on skewers widely seperated and let them hang in the oven at 165-170 degrees for 3-4 hours, leave the oven cracked open the whole time, it lets them dehydrate better.

6) Remove and enjoy!!!!

Pierreyaldo
spearo

Re: Yellowtail Jerky V4.0

Postby Alex Ray » June 2nd, 2015, 1:31 pm

Wow, this sounds fantastic! I toyed with fish jerky for awhile a couple seasons ago (even went so far as to get a dehydrator) but never truly perfected it. You've got me back thinking about giving it another go now though.

This said, I found it really hard to get rid of any residual fishy odor, even with fresh fish. Have you been able to remedy this issue?
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Pierreyaldo » June 2nd, 2015, 7:35 pm

Hey alex, yep a dehydrator wasn't an option for me so after a few unsuccessful tries i managed to get it done in the oven! key is to leave it cracked open.

to the fishiness issue, The thinner slices the better I think. It seems that it only gets fishy when the slices are thick enough that the inside of the meat holds onto its moisture. Im not good at slicing them real thin, but the thinner pieces always come out way better. Even with all that, it still does have a slight smell of smoked yellowtail. Hopefully I can really nail it down in v5.0
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby Karma Trees » January 30th, 2016, 1:47 am

Pierre was kind enough to drop off a Tupperware full of this shit to me one day at work. Needless to say all my students and I ate that shit within 10 minutes. Best part was that half of em didn't even know it was fish haha[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]. Pierre seems to have to recipe down pat this stuff was sooooooooo good
blakeschilling@gmail
Karma Trees
spearo

Postby chris oak » January 30th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Man I am def going to give that a try. I'm pretty sure I can do it in my bbq on low heat as well, that should minimize the mess of the oven.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Qressor » January 20th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Hey alex, yep a dehydrator wasn't an option for me so after a few unsuccessful tries i managed to get it done in the oven! key is to leave it cracked open.
Qressor
polespearo

Postby kon » May 2nd, 2017, 5:38 pm

Found this thread googling yellowtail jerky... we tried the recipe and it came out fantastic. We followed the marinade recipe exactly, left it in the refrigerator overnight, and used a dyhydrator at 130 degrees for 8 hours. Some of the best fish jerky we've had... especially the belly pieces. Thanks Pierre!
kon
polespearo

Postby Pierreyaldo » May 3rd, 2017, 2:15 pm

Hah love it! you bet man
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby dam » May 5th, 2017, 11:10 am

That sounds awesome! I'm gonna try it for sure. I got all the ingredients except for the YT, can anyone show me how to get that? :rofl: :'(
dam
sea slayer

Postby kon » May 5th, 2017, 12:40 pm

We tried another batch at 120 degrees for 8 hours. Came out even better. The thinner pieces dry out faster and become hard and jerky like, while the slightly thicker pieces tend to stay softer and juicier. Both are good in their own way. Belly for sure has the most flavor. One thing we noticed is that the thinner pieces were almost too salty when using regular soy sauce... low sodium soy sauce produced a better result. We also juiced fresh red apples as opposed to buying bottled juice. We'll experiment some more and I'll report back on our results.
kon
polespearo

Return to Recipes