Bottarga

Epic mealtime ideas

Bottarga

Postby Saba » November 3rd, 2015, 7:44 pm

If you get a yellowtail with roe, don't throw it away. Send it my way.

This stuff is good. Cure it with a lot of salt and a little olive oil. Shave it on pasta. Put some on your scrambled eggs. Enjoy on some toast with Parmesan reggiano and olive oil. Slice a little bit on top of your bacon wrapped lobster. Have a glass of wine with it.

Basically put it on anything that you want an intense salty sea flavor. Substitute it for any salt element. Try it out before you knock it. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Attachments
Saba
polespearo

Re: Bottarga

Postby dariian » November 3rd, 2015, 8:01 pm

Holy crap that looks great. How do you cure it?
dariian
spearo

Postby chris oak » November 3rd, 2015, 8:03 pm

X2, I was just talking to my buddy the other day about yellowtail eggs and I'm going to try this.

BTW has anyone tried using yellowtail roe like masago (smelt roe) on sushi? That's one of my favorites.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby mikeme » November 3rd, 2015, 8:35 pm

Looks great. How do u do it. Probably good with wsb too
mikeme
spearo

Postby dustyyoungblood » November 3rd, 2015, 10:20 pm

Need to know more about HOW.
dustyyoungblood
Sturgill spearfishing

Postby malibujohn » November 4th, 2015, 7:15 am

dariian wrote:Holy crap that looks great. How do you cure it?

x2

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/salt ... e-bottarga
malibujohn
kook

Postby flattie » November 4th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I'm not sure how Saba did his but I just put mine in a tuperware completely packed in salt and pepper. I left it in the fridge for 3 week. After that I dusted off the salt, tied a string on it and hung it up in the kitchen. It was really good gratted on eggs.
flattie
spearo

Postby coreyf » November 4th, 2015, 1:14 pm

has anyone tried with seabass? they have some giant skeins.

this will make awesome pasta i'm sure.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Pierreyaldo » November 4th, 2015, 2:31 pm

@coreyf i fried some seabass roe in olive oil last year and it was god dang incredible
Pierreyaldo
spearo

Postby AJP » November 4th, 2015, 10:41 pm

That looks awesome. Consider me inspired on this one. :)
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Postby Saba » November 6th, 2015, 1:53 pm

It's extremely easy to do. Make sure it's nice and fresh of course, rinse it off and pat off any excess moisture. Put it in a Tupperware but be sure to leave off the lid so moisture can escape. Cover it with kosher salt and leave it in the fridge. This will take out all the moisture. About the third day I coated it in olive oil very lightly, now I'm not sure if you should coat it before you salt it, in the middle, or after but I did mine in the middle because I just found another recipe that does that after I just salted mine for a few days. I changed the salt out to new salt every couple of days, I'm not sure if that was necessary but it seemed to make the process go faster and helped with the fishy smell a little. Sorry bear with me it was all experimentation but it turned out great. Once the roe ishard and firm (I think the amount of days will vary depending on how much moisture or what maturity stage your roe was in ~probably about 2-3 weeks, I don't even remember how long I did mine) brush off all the excess salt and hang it somehow in your fridge for a couple more days. Then, it's ready to enjoy.

Here's some inspiration: https://instagram.com/bottarga_gold/

Let me know how your bottargas came out and what you did differently in the process, would love to improve on it. It was tough finding the best way to do it since a lot of recipes were in a different language.

@chris oak: please tell me how you made masago! Sounds awesome and I wanna try it out on my next roe sack.
Saba
polespearo

Postby Saba » November 6th, 2015, 1:59 pm

Oh I forgot to mention. Before you let it sit in salt, I brined mine in a 1:1 water salt ration, ie 1 cup water 1 cup salt. I did that for 3 days because I forgot about it. I am so irresponsible.

The bottarga comes out extremely salty when done if you eat it alone, but it balances out well on food.
Saba
polespearo

Postby BigJim » November 6th, 2015, 2:01 pm

Very cool!!!!

I've never seen yellowtail roe, but am thinking of trying this with the next big sac of Ling Roe I get??

Ling eggs are pretty large/coarse and make a cool "scramble" but that Bottarga sounds way more interesting!

Anybody have experience with doing Ling roe Bottarga style??

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Postby ApneaAddict » November 6th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Hah. How appropriate. I had a huge yellowtail roe sac in my freezer that I was intending to do this with, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. This past weekend my brother called me up and said he wanted to go ahead and make the bottarga, so he stopped by and grabbed it. I believe it's thawing in his fridge now. Will let you know how it goes. Glad to hear someone else has done this and it came out well.
What's the point of a hobby if it doesn't fill your stomach?

http://www.youtube.com/user/ApneaHunter
ApneaAddict
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » November 6th, 2015, 4:42 pm

I've tried this 3-4 times with seabass roe and have failed every time, mostly because I forget about it or run out of salt. I'm going to try again though now for sure.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby db1 » November 8th, 2015, 9:39 pm

about to eat my Cabrilla Bottarga. Flattie gave me the inspiration... its in the fridge ready to go. yum!

looks great! thanks for posting
db1
prick

Postby flattie » November 9th, 2015, 1:06 pm

About time db! It's going to be good.
flattie
spearo

Postby db1 » November 9th, 2015, 1:14 pm

right!?!?! got lost in the "life" shuffle.
db1
prick

Postby db1 » November 9th, 2015, 6:52 pm

grated some of mine on seared scallops for seasoning tonight... epic. no pics, they got eaten too fast.
db1
prick

Postby flattie » November 10th, 2015, 5:59 am

db1 wrote:grated some of mine on seared scallops for seasoning tonight... epic. no pics, they got eaten too fast.

:hsdance: Sweet. Now I want to shoot a fish with some roe so I can make more!
flattie
spearo

Postby Kirby » November 10th, 2015, 9:53 am

Looks great! I've tried this but mine always ended up staying white and super creamy.
Kirby
spearo

Postby apneanaut » November 10th, 2015, 10:55 am

ApneaAddict wrote:Hah. How appropriate. I had a huge yellowtail roe sac in my freezer that I was intending to do this with, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. This past weekend my brother called me up and said he wanted to go ahead and make the bottarga, so he stopped by and grabbed it. I believe it's thawing in his fridge now. Will let you know how it goes. Glad to hear someone else has done this and it came out well.

Indeed I was inspired by Saba's post and fortunately I knew a sucker who would part with some choice yellowtail roe.

I coated mine in olive oil, let it soak for a few hours (I read that this keeps the membrane soft/pliable) then covered in salt and wrapped in paper towels. A lot of the Italian bottargas have been pressed flat between wood planks, so I put a book on top of mine to give it a similar look. It's been 5 days and I've had to change out the wet paper towels and add salt three times.

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I've eaten yt roe fresh and it's excellent. I love the idea of having it on-hand in the fridge. Thanks for the idea!
apneanaut
spearo

Postby coreyf » November 10th, 2015, 2:31 pm

chris oak likes to eat cabezon bottarga. he says it makes u strong like bull.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Hookin » November 10th, 2015, 4:21 pm

coreyf wrote:chris oak likes to eat cabezon bottarga. he says it makes u strong like bull.

Ouch. That's got to hurt.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby db1 » November 12th, 2015, 7:12 am

apneanaut wrote:

IMG_4403.JPG

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. I've eaten yt roe fresh and it's excellent. I love the idea of having it on-hand in the fridge. Thanks for the idea!

Looks like you used the right book for curing and preserving fish! :D

post up what you make with it for sure!
db1
prick

Postby SBH2Oman » November 13th, 2015, 5:05 pm

While I was in Sicily this past summer, we hit just at the peak of Tuna season. Here's some shots from the processing plant of one of the best known tuna producers in Sicily (Adefio - located in Marzamemmi). I had the great fortune to bump into one of the family members, and he could instantly tell I was a fish nut. He proudly showed me around, the two of us trying to communicate in my terrible Italian and his terrible English. I wish I'd take more pictures and that they were better quality (I only had my iPhone with me). The ladies are hand-rolling anchovies around caper berries and stuffing them in jars.

If I understood him properly, the process was to clean the tuna roe sacs, then dry/cold smoke them for a day or two, then pack them in salt and press them in the wooden stacks you see. He might have told me that they only smoked some of them - I'm not entirely sure - but he did show me the smoke room which was basically just a tile-lined room with a wood burner in a corner and a couple of fans. You can see the chunks of wood they used for smoking in the left side of the last picture. You'll also note that the stones they're using for weights match the stones of the courtyard outside the plant. :-)

------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby coreyf » November 15th, 2015, 11:00 am

Here's a plate of bottarga spaghetti from a new Japanese Italian spot we found -- salty , fishy goodness.
coreyf
spearo

Postby Saba » November 20th, 2015, 11:03 am

How'd the Bottarga from that factory taste?? Did they only use tuna?
Saba
polespearo

Postby SBH2Oman » November 20th, 2015, 11:24 am

Saba wrote:How'd the Bottarga from that factory taste?? Did they only use tuna?

I think that to Italians (and perhaps even to a greater extent Sicilians) bottarga made from bluefin tuna is the only "real" bottarga. (the other one you see a lot is made from mullet). It was very strong and more "beefy" tasty than mullet bottarga. I found it to be less "tangy" and maybe a bit more of a deep tobacco or woodsmoke sort of character (though not overtly smokey tasting)
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby flattie » November 25th, 2015, 10:10 am

I really wanted to make some and a yellow I recently shot had some small roe in it so it's curing right now. The only difference is this time I used salt and pepper and Japanese rice seasoning. Only two more weeks to go.
flattie
spearo

Postby Straz » August 15th, 2016, 8:01 am

So I am trying this recipe. Stoked to see the results. Second day in...
Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » August 16th, 2016, 8:58 am

This is the third day of the process. I am looking foward to the finished product. Thanks for the inspiration for something new to me!!!
Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » October 19th, 2016, 5:45 am

I wanted to say thank you to the OP. My bottarga is dried out and ready to consume. Now I gotta make some pasta.
Straz
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » October 19th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Right on! Let us know how it turns out for you. I've got some seabass bottarga in my fridge still and might be whipping up some pasta in the next day or two. Bear in mind a little bit can go a long way...
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Schwaman » October 20th, 2016, 2:08 am

woah Straz, that looks really nice!
I have seen Bottarga in Italy made from mullets many times, yours looks exactly like "the real thing" let us know how it tastes
Schwaman
spearo

Postby Straz » October 24th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » October 24th, 2016, 12:46 pm

This is a simple Italian bottarga recipe except with quinoa noodles. Just simply delicious. I highly recommend keeping your rie sacks and making bottarga.
Straz
spearo

Postby Straz » October 24th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Straz
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » May 14th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Just to chime in again on an old thread...

My wife and I absolutely love grated bottarga over pasta. Unfortunately, about three weeks ago I ran out of my batch of bottarga from last year (this stuff keeps really well). Fortunately, I planned ahead.

Here's a pic of the batch I cured over the past two months, all taken from one very gravid female. The two sacks were placed in a casserole dish then packed in salt , which was changed frequently at first and less frequently as the weeks past. I put a cutting board on top of the packed fish, then put 15 lbs of dive weights on top of that. On the advice of a chef buddy of mine, at about the 1 1/2 month mark I threw them in the freezer (still packed in the salt). When I pulled them out of the salt I cut them in half so they'd fit in a gallon ziploc. They came out absolutely great, and my wife and I are looking forward to having this on hand for quite awhile now.
Alex Ray
prick

Postby Alex Ray » May 14th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Ray
prick

Postby AJP » May 15th, 2017, 5:35 pm

Thanks for bumping up this thread and for the added tips. I can't wait to do this this year. :)
Aaron P.
AJP
prick

Return to Recipes