Sous vide - should be your next investment

Epic mealtime ideas

Sous vide - should be your next investment

Postby SBH2Oman » November 30th, 2015, 8:45 pm

For those of you not familiar with sous vide, it's basically low temperature-controlled cooking in a bag.

Back when I started doing sous vide, setups were over $500 and so I rigged up a "poor mans" setup with some electronics and an old crock pot. Nowadays you can get a really nice unit in Amazon for under $200.

It will change your life if you love cooking and good food.

I won't go into all the cool things you can do, but I'll tell you this:

1. It will make the best lobster you've ever, ever, ever had.

2. It will make tender, moist halibut or WSB every single time.

The beauty is that you set a temp and let it cook slowly. So you can do other stuff like make a salad or drink some wine while the sun sets...

Tonight I put some 2" thick sea bass fillets with salt, pepper, and EVOO into a vacuum seal bag, sealed it up, dropped it in 138° water bath for 40 minutes (20-30 minutes per inch of thickness) and then pulled it out and quickly seared it on one side for color, then topped it with a parsley chive dill compound butter. Holy shit it was good.

Even my son, who claims to be "sick of eating white sea bass" scarfed down two helpings.

And so easy!!!

Grilling WSB I'm always terrified to over cook it because it gets so bad when it is over cooked. I get super OCD with picking out the evenly-sized pieces, getting the coals to the perfect temp, and hovering over the fillets while they are cooking, constantly poking them with my Thermapen digital thermometer to make sure they don't go over 134°.

I'll never do that again now that I finally got around to trying it sous vide!

Some example units:

Anova Culinary Bluetooth Precision Cooker, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/re ... xwbADPPCKQ

Gourmia GSV130 Digital Sous Vide Pod Immersion Circulator Precision Cooker - 1200 Watts - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017HX1FTC/re ... xwb8F7P9D2

A lot of people like to use sous vide for red meat, too, but I'm not one of them. But for seafood, eggs, and poultry it is amazing once you get your recipes dialed in!
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Re: Sous vide - should be your next investment

Postby Straz » December 10th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Ooh. I want.
Straz
spearo

Postby Bowhunter » December 11th, 2015, 10:17 pm

Makes a great steak also,just slow cook it,then char on the grill for a min or minute and a half. Yum
Bowhunter
spearo

Postby wontonhands » February 3rd, 2016, 9:09 am

Best chicken breasts I've ever made with the anova sous vide. also it makes meal planning a breeze, just throw a bunch of chicken breasts into separate vacuum sealed bags with different spices and bam you got protein for the week.
wontonhands
noob

Return to Recipes