Lingcod Head/Collar and Belly Meat Soup

Epic mealtime ideas

Lingcod Head/Collar and Belly Meat Soup

Postby BigJim » January 27th, 2016, 9:59 am

Lingcod are an awesome and abundant species on the Cen/NorCal coast.

They have awesome meaty filets, but if you only take the boneless filets you can be missing out on a ton of yummy meat from the head, collars and belly meat.

A great way to utilize the rest of the fish is to make a soup using the carcass, head, collars and belly meat and any scraps leftover from fileting.

Throw the carcass/skeleton in a pot with some whole peeled garlic cloves and ginger and enough water to cover the bones and boil it into it starts smelling good.

While it is boiling you can sautee some chiles and tomatoes and whatever spices you like.

Once the carcass stock is smelling good go ahead and strain it into the pot with your spices, discard the carcass, and add the head and collars.

Add in some cilantro, lemongrass or whatever other spices you like and boil it some more. Stir it enough and use low enough heat so that nothing sticks and burns on the bottom of the pot.

Once the head skin is looking cooked and peeling back a bit go ahead and throw in the belly meat and scraps. I put these in last cuz they need the least amount of cooking.

When you can see the cheek and collar chunks falling off the bone go ahead and strain the stock out.

Then pick the meat and yummy parts (fatty skin etc) off the bones from the head and collars and put that boneless meat aside....up to you how meticulous you want to be...I don't mind some bones in my soup but some people do.

Then you can serve the soup broth and add in as many chunks of meat as you want.

Squeeze in some lime, have a cold beverage and enjoy.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
kook

Re: Lingcod Head/Collar and Belly Meat Soup

Postby 'o cino » January 29th, 2016, 8:57 am

Great How-To Jim!
Looks perfect for the cold evenings here.
Michael Dong "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..."
Los Pistoleros
Sportsko Ribolovno Drustvo "Umag"
Centro Pordenonese Sommozzatori
'o cino
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 30th, 2016, 9:22 pm

That looks so killer my wife just told me to get her a seabass so she can try it up. I've been craving some good fish soup for years now. I think this thread just threw me over the edge.

Thanks for the post you make it look really easy
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby kathy » February 7th, 2016, 8:29 pm

Deeeeelicious. Thank you for sharing! By any chance do you cut off the fins and tail before using the carcass?

And is this soup a good hangover cure??

:D :rolls: :rofl:

Just sayin.... :p
kathy
spearo

Postby Scottyboy679 » March 7th, 2016, 11:26 pm

This looks awesome. I am going to definitely do this if I ever get some time to go up there!
If it looks good, Eat it!

-Andrew Zimmern
Scottyboy679
spearo

Return to Recipes