Best way to pound abalone?

Epic mealtime ideas

Best way to pound abalone?

Postby Zpearo » August 24th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Hey all, I only started ab diving last year but my dive buddies and their families have been ab diving for a long time. Last year we cleaned and pounded abs a couple of ways:
    -trim all black off, slice ab into disks (about 3/16" thick), pound each disk with a tenderizer
    -leave black stuff on, do same process as above... didn't notice any bad flavor so we started leaving the black skirts on
    -pound abalone whole with hammer, baseball bat, etc and then cut into disks (again, about 3/16" thick)

These methods were based on family traditions from my dive buddies or recommendations from friends of friends. Cutting the abalone and then pounding each slice is a ton of work and we hated it. We also had some problems cooking the abalone and keeping it tender. When cooking the thin disks, the disk starts to curl up, cooks unevenly, and some parts become overcooked and rubbery.

This year, we ran across a video of what has become our new preferred technique. The tenderizing process is a lot easier, and we no longer have problems with the abalone cooking unevenly and getting rubbery. I'm not sure if the reason the abalone cooks better is because we now slice along the foot along the length (front to back, rather than bottom to top) or if it is because the slices are thicker at about 3/8".

Anyway, the process is that you clean the stomach/guts from the abalone, stick it in a plastic bag, and stick that bag halfway down a leg cut off from a pair of jeans. You fold the pant leg over so the abalone is pushed into that fold, and you pound the whole ab on a concrete/wood surface to tenderize. Flip and turn the ab a couple times to pound evenly, and after about 20 hits per side, it is fully tenderized. Then you cut the thick slabs across the length of the foot, not disks from the top of the foot to the bottom as many people do. This method has worked great for us and I wanted to share it since I did a search and didn't find the videos posted on this site.

Part 1 of the video (pounding): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqA8dMlPaF8
Part 2 of the video (cutting & cooking): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNG-DwoCMlU
Zpearo
spearo

Re: Best way to pound abalone?

Postby BeauG » August 25th, 2016, 6:58 am

Thanks for the links and great timing! We're off to do some ab diving this weekend. We'll have to give this method a try.
Bakersfield Freedivers
BeauG
spearo

Postby dam » August 25th, 2016, 10:11 am

Thank you!
dam
sea slayer

Postby Jeff B » August 25th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Super timely post for me too, thanks! I'll give it a try with the last one from my weekend haul.
- Jeff Barr
Jeff B
spearo

Postby NaClAddict » August 27th, 2016, 8:16 am

Rad to see how little waste there was. I experimented with not scrubbing the black off and found it left a seaweed taste. I too enjoyed that more than plain white abalone although I could see why some may not.

On another note, that guys's a F'n bass-tard, just finding a pearl like its no big deal.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby Hookin » August 27th, 2016, 9:11 am

I do something similar. I wrap the whole abalone in a old towel and then use a pan thats a little larger then the abalone and pound it. Works great! Slice it as needed. I like to cook mine simply with a little salt pepper garlic and olive oil. Thanks for sharing the video.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby John Hughes » August 30th, 2016, 5:11 pm

thanks for posting that up! I'm going to try this the next time my buddies drop some off for me :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Recipes