Thai Fish Soup

Epic mealtime ideas

Thai Fish Soup

Postby kathy » June 30th, 2017, 8:31 pm

MADE WITH A SHEEPSHEAD! (Though this would be good with any rockfish or lingcod)This is based on a recipe I found on this website and modified. My version is below.
http://www.allroadsleadtothe.kitchen/20 ... -peek.html

1st step is to make fish stock out of the head and bones of the sheepshead.
I did this by processing the carcass to remove all fins and tail, and removing all skin (other than what was on the fish head) so what goes into the pot is: the head, the spine/ribs and all associated bones with meat on them after removing the filets. To a large pot, add ~3 quarts of water to just cover the fish, two tablespoons of salt, half an onion, a carrot, 3 peeled garlic cloves, and 5 peppercorns. Bring to a boil and skim the gunk off the top a few times. Then simmer for about 30 minutes. Check to make sure everything is cooked through - meat should be cooked and falling off the bones. Strain the liquid and set it to cool in the fridge. When the meat and bones are cool enough to handle, pick off all the meat and set it aside.
* This yielded multiple cups of very good stock which I have frozen for later.

INGREDIENTS:

For the curry broth:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder (use slightly less if you like. The curry can make it taste spicy if you are not used to it)
1/2 teaspoon BROWN sugar
4 cups DELICIOUS FREAKIN HOME MADE SHEEPSHEAD STOCK OR OTHER FISH STOCK
3/4 cup coconut milk
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

For everything else:
ALL YOUR MEAT THAT CAME OUT OF THE STOCK POT
1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables, cut very small - I USED MUSHROOMS, CARROTS, BABY ZUCCHINI, FRESH CORN KERNELS, BABY GREEN BEANS
1/4 cup mixed chopped fresh cilantro, basil and mint leaves
lime wedges

INSTRUCTIONS:

Heat oil in a medium saucepot over medium heat. Add green onions, garlic, curry powder and sugar; cooking, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add fish stock, coconut milk, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the veggies to the pot, and cook until veggies are just tender, maybe 8 minutes, then add cooked pulled fish pieces and simmer until everything is cooked through, 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in herbs. Serve over rice.
Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over each serving, and salt / pepper / hot sauce to taste

I am not patient enough to be a good food photographer, sorry, but believe me this is simple, quick and delicious! I think I'll even make this again with the fish stock and just veggies, or with the fish stock and throwing in other random fish I'm lucky enough to spear in the future. :D - If you make this with UNCOOKED fish pieces, just simmer them a little longer until they are cooked through.

chop your veggies nice! The fresh corn really makes this. We grew the green beans and the little striped zucchinis, the basil and the mint.

YUM
kathy
spearo

Re: Thai Fish Soup

Postby Avenues » July 2nd, 2017, 8:39 am

Looks awesome thanks for sharing!
James Grover
www.youtube.com/user/jgroverman/videos
Instagram: jgroverman
Avenues
kook

Postby db1 » July 19th, 2017, 8:59 pm

This recipe inspired me and I just made a version of this with web stock and similar veggies, added a little saffron... It was so fresh and light... loved it. Thanks for the inspiration!
db1
prick

Postby John Hughes » July 20th, 2017, 2:27 pm

This looks killer. Thanks Kathy!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to Recipes