california roll poke

Epic mealtime ideas

california roll poke

Postby chris oak » October 9th, 2017, 7:02 am

My new favorite is a california roll poke, I just got back from Hawaii and saw all those different kinds of poke at foodland. The spicy octopus was my favorite at first but when I tried the california roll version, it was so good I had it probably three days. Here's my take on it.

Cube fish, I used yt the last time. buy fake crab and shred it up and mix with the cubes. BTW I talked to a hawaiian chef and he said Poke meant "cubed fish" and that any fish you cut into cubes is considered poke. I always thought it meant raw fish with sauce on it.

In a small bowl mix in about 1/4 cup mayo (I used best foods but cupie mayo from the asian store is even better( and enough soy sauce to make it brownish. Add syrachia to your own taste. Add a couple of drops sesame oil and set it aside.

Get some fresh seaweed salad from the korean/asian market or if you are like me, buy the salted semi dry stuff that's in the chilled section. It's actually japanese, and sometimes called "wakame" but its easier to find in other asian markets. I've tried all kinds of seaweed in the korean market and they all work. It looks like stringy green seaweed and is loaded with salt, so wash it off carefully if you are using that one. Cut it up into smaller pieces and add it to the fish. Mix in the mayo mix slowly until it is just creamy, if you like a lot of mayo you can add more but I do it so it's coated just enough to show that white/brown color.

If you want to spruce it up, add some avacado slices to the top and also some smelt eggs (masago) and you can even sprinkle in wasabe sprouts.

Get some hot fresh white rice (botan or better grade but not jasmine or chinese rice), I like to add a bit of sushi mix to the rice when it's hot, then cool it so it's just warm. Sprinkle furikaki on it (it's the dried seaweed mix with sesame seeds and other stuff in it, it comes in a little salt shaker), this is also optional.

Serve and eat, I put away three bowls of this. btw poke makes your fish go a lot way as does sushi because the rice makes people eat less.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: california roll poke

Postby Bowhunter » October 9th, 2017, 10:45 am

That look great,
it's kinda funny , but up here in nor cal , poke places are sprouting up everywhere .
The "new " in thing.
Love poke
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Bowhunter
spearo

Re: california roll poke

Postby dariian » October 9th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Bowhunter wrote:That look great,
it's kinda funny , but up here in nor cal , poke places are sprouting up everywhere .
The "new " in thing.
Love poke
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Same in Southern California. Funny, last time I was in Hawaii they were selling it at Foodland, not sure how it made it over there so quick but the secret is out! :confusion-shrug:
dariian
spearo

Return to Recipes