Pipe Throw Flashers?

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Pipe Throw Flashers?

Postby Cross » January 14th, 2019, 7:34 pm

Anyone know the deal with the throw flashers that I'm always seeing Hawaii guys using? Looks like PVC pipe cut into pieces with flasher tape all around it. Then maybe drilling holes threw them? any info on this would be great. thank you!

-Sean Cross
Cross
noob

Re: Pipe Throw Flashers?

Postby Eric S. » January 17th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Never seen one.
Eric S.
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » January 18th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Those 'crack pipes' or 'wahoo candy' are an integral part of our Bluewater and Deep Reef fishing equipment. We use them in different ways.

In the Bluewater, if you see a Wahoo or Mahi you can chuck one and it will captivate them and allow you to get closer to get a shot off. When I'm diving Blue, I make a lot of 'blind drops' where I haven't seen a fish yet, so I toss one of these and I'll swim down to meet it at @ 40' or 50' and it will attract all sorts of baitfish and or gamefish in the area. I've had Wahoo, Tuna, Marlin, Mahi, come in hot on these. Another thing they are good for in the blue is sometimes you just can't get your chum down because the Trigger fish or other baitfish are eating it up before it can drop. These will make it through the bait, though often they will bite it, and get down to the Predator zone. These are standard equipment for Bluewater hunting and I'll always keep a few either on my person, or on my float.

For deep reef we use these for bringing in Snapper. You can toss one or two and let them drop down to the reef. Then you drop down to retrieve and pick it up and hit the reef with them and hold them and wiggle them at any Snapper, etc. which have come into the area.

We use larger diameter for Bluewater blind drops, as they sink slower, but for when you've spotted a fish already or for Reef diving, we'll use a thinner diameter which will sink faster. If you are diving the reef in 80' or so of water it can take a long time to wait for a slower sinking tube to fall, and also if you've already spotted a fish, you want to get that thing down pretty quick to it's level. You don't always recover these tubes, so it's good to have a few.

We make them.
http://www.ulusub.com/flashs/izqaajgtyy ... 9d8ybb20wb
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby Sir Rob IV » January 19th, 2019, 9:54 am

Is their a difference between thicker and skinnier ones? I assume skinnier ones will sink faster?
Sir Rob IV
spearo

Postby Behslayer » January 20th, 2019, 11:54 am

Hi Rob,

Yes. Thinner Diameter and thicker wall make those sink a little faster. Yesterday I had a 100lb YFT come up and whack one of these in 10' of water.. an hour later my dive partner dropped one down to 100' and when he hit bottom there was a nice Snapper waiting around.. very effective.
Behslayer
kook

Postby Randy_Mora » February 25th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Jon , The Pipe throw flashers are legit cant wait to try them out, plus the ar grip is legit. Thumbs up on these designs!Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Randy_Mora
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » March 21st, 2019, 5:24 am

out of curiosity, how do you carry/store these while swimming around in the water? Jon you sent my buddy a few of these with his last gun and he lost it as soon as he hit the water. I think he was trying to tuck it in his strap to his wetsuit top.

I was really looking forward to seeing how these performed but never got the chance.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » March 21st, 2019, 10:50 am

Hi John,

Some guys will drill a hole in them and use a string loop and attach to a clip on their belt or a clip on the handle of their guns. When I go out shore diving, I usually tuck one into the back of each lower leg of my suit to swim out and swim around. Once I'm out I'll grab one and for the dive I keep it through the groin of my suit. Note.. If you are getting in and out of a boat, or out from a shore dive and you leave this tucked in the groin of your suit, it's easy to fall out. I also will bring an extra one or two and keep in the chum bag or on my stringer. Often enough we lose these. A lot of times if you do shoot a nice fish coming in on one, you will dance with the fish a bit and then shoot and you don't get to recover the flasher. We will also shoot shiny fish or even octopus and use those as throw flashers.

Thinking more about your post. When we keep these in the groin of the suit, I mean they are in the front essentially just under the belt. Both ends are within the suit, this way they stay put fairly well, but are easy to grab.
Behslayer
kook

Postby John Hughes » March 21st, 2019, 7:00 pm

thanks for the explanation Jon. I figure if you guys are using them in the blue they must work pretty well.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Donzi Paul » March 24th, 2019, 9:35 pm

I'm way drunk on Red Breast whiskey and have found the balls to post on how I really feel on this topic, mates.
I think leaving plastic shite in our Mother Ocean is fucked mate. Stick the flasher chrome on the fins and gun . Kill and shred the sacrificial bait when needed, but don't leave funkin plastic in our mother ocean for a meal. Sooo many fish I have harvested with a white glove, who could need more?

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » March 24th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Any post that starts with 'way drunk on Whiskey' is alright by me, and Donzi Paul you have my ultimate respect. But it's a slippery slope you are speaking from here.

I always bring a Polespear out with me, and my first intention is to shoot some baitfish and use them as throw flashers. Sometimes I get some. They pulse... But, I do use these Homemade Throw Flashers all the time. They are very effective. I use them mostly for Blind Drops. Meaning I haven't seen a fish yet. I do use them in the Blue, but often I use them on the reef where there is 100% recovery. Throw one, and let it sink down to 100' on the reef, then swim down and pick it up and use it to bang on some rocks. The idea is not to lose your throw flasher. It does happen, but it's not the goal. I lose way less throw flashers than for example Spoons which are often a one use item. Have I left a few in the ocean, yes. Maybe 6?

I've also left three polespears, several masks, a few fins, many gloves, a couple weight belts, countless knives, 3 go pros, 2 better cameras, 1 watch, Flashers, many shafts, and more than one speargun, including one with a 150b Big Eye Tuna attached to it in the ocean, more than a few parts of surfboards, several gaffs, 3 fishing poles, kayak paddles, countless fishing lures, hooks, and weights, a few FADS, couple of anchors. But....... you are older than me, so I imagine you have parted with more into our sweet liquid mistress than I have. To my credit.. I have removed much much more junk from the ocean than I have deposited. Not just Taiwanese Fishing boats foundered on beautiful reefs, but literally 100,000+ plastic bottles from our beaches and reefs. The programs I started and funded myself for a decade have thankfully been taken over by Patagonia and other corporations.

95% of my diving is shore diving. Think about that next time you're filling up your gas tanks for your boat. But it's a slippery slope.. we all add to the garbage pile, both in the Ocean, on land, and in the air. Old Wetsuits, broken fins, old bands, bent shafts, piles of old mono, leaky masks, broken guns, lost throw flashers, broken engines, old trailers, flat tires, old boats. We are consumers and we are using modern manufactured gear. Divers losing an occasional Throw flasher in 400-1200' of water is really the tiniest drop in the bucket.. The bottom line for me is that I'm diving for food. It's not easy to get a fish over here in Hawaii and especially shore diving. We use fishing Lures. Just like in fishing. Sometimes you lose your lure.
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » March 25th, 2019, 10:07 am

Another Flasher system I been working on. Tie down strap prevents losing giving it the thumbs up rating?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1362259870549480
Behslayer
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » March 25th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Too funny Jon... great looking kid. :D :D

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » March 25th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Donz, you think I'm joking.. but I am trying to think out how to make something like this, simple as a hand pump, and some stainless spring and mylar... What Wahoo wouldn't come charging in all lit up when it's staying 25' away and you start flapping ears at it? I need all the help I can get.

That little one is a little more grown up now. At 2.5 she can swim laps.

But seriously.. I bring out a Ho Bag of Tricks. Throw Flashers, Chum, Polespear to shoot live baits, and this little piece o work.. This thing is pretty cool. It allows me to drop a Live Flasher.. and also to catch fish while I'm diving. Clips off to my float. I can drop a bait down to 120'.. I can hook on a live Mackerel and have it go berserk and bring in predators. It's an arsenal. If a white glove were all it took, I'd be making white gloves but diving over here in Hawaii aint so easy. It can be Deep and the fish are smart and act differently than other places I been.
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby Donzi Paul » March 25th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Very cool... :greetings-clappingorange:

Cheers, Don
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » March 28th, 2019, 7:55 pm

+ 1 for Throw Flashas. Edit + 2
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby dctrjayyy » March 29th, 2019, 8:15 am

nice uku. how deep?
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby Behslayer » March 30th, 2019, 11:54 am

My buddy Ben Zyons came over to visit so I brought him to a Honey hole. First fish, I seen a few in the chum. So I told him to Pat Sand.. he drop a flasher and wait and wait and wait.. I met him at 50' on his way back and grabbed his gun and our third diver watched him on surface as I kept the fish off the reef and yoked it up on the reel line. That one was at 140'.

I said 'let's quit while we're ahead and get out before the Beast shows up'. On the way in I seen a patch of Reef I know holds and I pointed and said go Pat Sand over there. So he drop a flasher and wait and wait and wait.. and then drop down to 100'+. He was down there for over 2 minutes and I saw him start to surface. About 30' off the bottom I saw him stop and swim back down and out off the reef and start waiving the Flasher. Then a shot. I knew this was a potential bad shituation. Never good to go back down after a long deep drop and then to be shooting.. So I immediately dropped to help. But..... on this day I had a bad cold and my ear blocked at 25'.. I could see Ben swimming fast to surface. I could see him kicking and everything looked normal but he wasn't making much progress.. It was SUPER frustrating. I was pointing to my ear and looked up a few times hoping Diver #3 would pick up on what was happening but he didn't. (Next time he will) I kept very good eyes on Ben and anything strange I would pop my ear and grab him.. But I also know Ben can dive to 240' without Fins.. Ben was making inches of gain and only 10' away. Time was standing still. At this point I see Ben clip his gun with a still spooled Aussie Reel onto a Belt Reel. And then he starts to move. As soon as he's near, I grab the Belt Reel line and take control of the fish and yoke him. As I surface our third diver is holding Ben and Ben is looking like a Drunken sailor..... Two 18# Ukus and we are out of there.. of course getting out Water here is another Can of worms.

Anyways. The reason I share the story is for learning. I always refer to this as the Rule of 3's.. It's not the first thing that gets you, it's not the second, it's that unforeseen third.

In this case, Ben did a Long Deep Drop and then as surfacing saw a nice fish and went back down and shot a fish. That's a potential danger and the safety diver should immediately drop. In this case, the Safety diver dropped quick but had an Ear Block.. The third diver should have recognized this (stopped suddenly before reaching diver #1, pointing to ear, looking up). In this case, just after Ben shot the fish, he got a loop of line around the knob of the reel.. I never seen that happen before. But most probably he was not super careful respooling his line after the last fish as it was done while we were pulling in the first fish.. (best is to drop your shaft down and respool after each battle)

The good. Belt Reels are good additions to the Deep Reef diving arsenal. Ben is an excellent diver. (though he/we was hungover..) He trains hard to be able to dive like this. The Third Diver.. When it comes to Deep Reef diving, I like having a third diver. This is a perfect example of why. When Ben Surfaced, he had some sort of an incident.. I was busy keeping the fish off the reef and still underwater and dealing with the fish and lines. The third diver is there to oversee and to assist Diver #1 as they surface.

Anyways. That was 2 days ago's drama. Yesterday was another learning experience.
Behslayer
kook

Postby dctrjayyy » April 1st, 2019, 8:22 am

140? fuck that shit...
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby Behslayer » April 1st, 2019, 1:22 pm

It's different in Very Clear water. 140' means I'm still able to see him from the surface. But Benzospeedo is one of the best of the best when it comes to the deep stuff. He teaches deep freediving www.freedivehi.com
Behslayer
kook

Postby John Hughes » April 2nd, 2019, 5:41 am

Behslayer wrote:Any post that starts with 'way drunk on Whiskey' is alright by me, and Donzi Paul you have my ultimate respect. But it's a slippery slope you are speaking from here.

I always bring a Polespear out with me, and my first intention is to shoot some baitfish and use them as throw flashers. Sometimes I get some. They pulse... But, I do use these Homemade Throw Flashers all the time. They are very effective. I use them mostly for Blind Drops. Meaning I haven't seen a fish yet. I do use them in the Blue, but often I use them on the reef where there is 100% recovery. Throw one, and let it sink down to 100' on the reef, then swim down and pick it up and use it to bang on some rocks. The idea is not to lose your throw flasher. It does happen, but it's not the goal. I lose way less throw flashers than for example Spoons which are often a one use item. Have I left a few in the ocean, yes. Maybe 6?

I've also left three polespears, several masks, a few fins, many gloves, a couple weight belts, countless knives, 3 go pros, 2 better cameras, 1 watch, Flashers, many shafts, and more than one speargun, including one with a 150b Big Eye Tuna attached to it in the ocean, more than a few parts of surfboards, several gaffs, 3 fishing poles, kayak paddles, countless fishing lures, hooks, and weights, a few FADS, couple of anchors. But....... you are older than me, so I imagine you have parted with more into our sweet liquid mistress than I have. To my credit.. I have removed much much more junk from the ocean than I have deposited. Not just Taiwanese Fishing boats foundered on beautiful reefs, but literally 100,000+ plastic bottles from our beaches and reefs. The programs I started and funded myself for a decade have thankfully been taken over by Patagonia and other corporations.

95% of my diving is shore diving. Think about that next time you're filling up your gas tanks for your boat. But it's a slippery slope.. we all add to the garbage pile, both in the Ocean, on land, and in the air. Old Wetsuits, broken fins, old bands, bent shafts, piles of old mono, leaky masks, broken guns, lost throw flashers, broken engines, old trailers, flat tires, old boats. We are consumers and we are using modern manufactured gear. Divers losing an occasional Throw flasher in 400-1200' of water is really the tiniest drop in the bucket.. The bottom line for me is that I'm diving for food. It's not easy to get a fish over here in Hawaii and especially shore diving. We use fishing Lures. Just like in fishing. Sometimes you lose your lure.

Hahahahaha!

Kinda puts it in perspective.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » April 3rd, 2019, 5:27 pm

Solid Catch.
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » April 30th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Here's one way we use these flashers for Bottom Fish. In my opinion, you want to arrive at bottom as the Flasher does. Unfortunately vis was not so great yesterday and I didn't have any nice Uku come around. But, I'll try again.

https://www.facebook.com/Ulusub/videos/ ... 263897057/
https://youtu.be/Rm5y2wXTvIY
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » May 4th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Here's another video of how we use these for Deeper Reef diving. When I see a piece of reef which looks promising I'll toss one of these and let it sink. I try to meet it at the bottom. 5 minutes earlier I tossed one and hadn't yet turned on my camera. I looked over and as it was 10' below the surface a Huge Kamanu (Rainbow Runner) like 20# came flying in and Bit the flasher. Before I could get a shot it took off.. On this drop, you'll see a nice Uku come in on the flasher as it nears the bottom. When I reach bottom I grab the flasher and knock it on the bottom making noise. Then you get to see me Whiff on a shot I probably should have made.. It was a little further than it looks and the fish was a little bigger I figure over 15#. I had tried a lighter shaft 7.5mm for the first time on this gun and this was my first shot, and I think I'll go back to my 5/16".. ugh. But sometimes I do get em..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsmEKuSY9wY
Behslayer
kook

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 5th, 2019, 8:35 am

Damn Jon- that isn’t much like spearing sea bass from the surface. I think I better stick to California for what little diving I have left.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Behslayer » May 5th, 2019, 12:04 pm

Bill, you'd probably Really Enjoy getting into some Warm Clear Blue, wearing a 2mm, using 5lbs of lead, putting on some good Carbon Fiber fins. You probably would have plugged that Kamanu. When we go out, we first make a few drops to 30' and just stay down until it hurts to trigger the dive reflex. Fill up the mask with water and open your eyes.. breathe from the stomach up, etc. You don't just go out and dive-bomb past 80' on your first drop. Uku and Mu are usually a bottom game, sometimes Uku will come up into the chum line, but other fish like the Kamanu, Ono, Mahi which we shore dive for often stay within 10' of the surface. I use 2 one pound pinch weights on my weight belt, I want to be slightly overweighted i.e. if I exhale I want to sink when I'm swimming around off the reef in 150'+ water hoping for those Pelagics. But, when we come back in to where we will be diving to the bottom I take those weights off and hang them on the buoy so I'm neutral at 30-40'.
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » May 16th, 2019, 8:35 pm

https://youtu.be/-wgJ1_H_f_g

Bringing in one Kohala with a throw flasher. I've seen a bunch of fish act similarly. Yellowfin, Uku, Wahoo, Mahi, etc.
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » June 2nd, 2019, 1:20 pm

Some Throw Flasher assisted captures on the Reef. Watch in high rez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTew0O-rDgg

Poke time.
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » June 4th, 2019, 10:57 pm

A Valuable piece of equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2FV6NtEUbc
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » June 19th, 2019, 11:24 pm

A Valuable Piece of Equipment
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby Behslayer » June 20th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Bringing em in close with Bluewater Throw Candy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iaNcs3 ... e=youtu.be

Using throw flashers to your advantage Deep Reef.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLoxlForYd4&t=29s
Attachments
Behslayer
kook

Postby TheKeeneroo » July 3rd, 2019, 6:46 am

Anyone know the PVC dimensions of the larger ulusub wahoo candy? I know they're 8.5" in length, but why are the larger ones so thin walled? Is this easily available at Home Depot? I got 3 different sized PVC from 1/2"-1" to check it's sink rate before I cover them in holographic tape. Seems like the thicker walled might sink too fast, esp at the smaller diameter. I've also made a couple CD throw flashers to test as well.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric
Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
TheKeeneroo
spearo

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself