Toyota Tundra for spearing

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Toyota Tundra for spearing

Postby Shadrshe » June 4th, 2019, 3:26 am

Hello to everybody!

I have been wanting to buy a used pickup just to have one available when I need to haul something for the odd jobs around the house. I would not need it for daily use and figured I would drive it less than 10,000 miles per year.

I now have the opportunity to buy a 2002 Tundra 4WD extended cab from my son-in-law. He's buying a '08 Tundra as he needs this type of vehicle for his job as a salesman. It's in good condition but needs new tires. Here's the kicker - it has 215,000 miles on it. They are mostly highway miles, and I know he took good care of it since he bought it new. It has a top on it and a factory hitch. He will sell it to me for $5000.

I would buy it in a minute except for the fact that it has so many miles on it! I also know that Toyota builds a very good, reliable product. I've never owned their truck but I bought a new Camry and drove it with high miles and it was the best car I ever owned.

What do you guys think? Should I consider this deal any further?

What kind of mileage should I expect?

Just interested in your general thoughts on this, and specifically the high mileage.
Shadrshe
noob

Re: Toyota Tundra for spearing

Postby NaClAddict » June 4th, 2019, 5:22 am

Plenty of them run for a lot longer. You will need maintenance and it’s getting to the iffy area. Most will go 300k + if taken care of. A few of my coworkers have that exact same truck with 300+ with no major problems. If it’s for utility work and diving, not your daily driver I would do it. It really depends on how well it’s been maintained. Mileage is okay on those trucks. I personally think they’re a great size truck.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby chris oak » June 4th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I had a 2003 Tundra I think, mine had a camper shell and I got 15 mpg city/hwy and 11 mpg on tow. The truck was bulletproof and when I got it smogged they said that that particular model ran forever and was in demand. I can tell you that one of the common problems is that the solenoid goes out on the charcoal canister, it will cause a check engine light that will cause you to fail smog and a new canister is about 700. The solenoid cost me like 20 bucks on amazon and I was able to swap it in myself.

The tundra is a big truck, even bigger than my tacoma I had previously but it tows pretty much anything. It's a little hard to park in small lots for everyday driving but I was using it as my 3rd car and only towed my boat or hauled stuff in it. I liked it a lot and if I were looking for trucks I'd go toyota again. The only thing I did was change the oil and filter, everything else except that solenoid held up. I think I had about 200k miles on mine when I sold it and it sold pretty quick for 7500.

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. I replaced it with a highlander hybrid. I get 28 mpg avg and 17 mpg towing my 4k lb boat/trailer. I cant haul full sheets of plywood in the hybrid or move couches or large items though, anytime that happens I'll just rent a truck because thats a rare occasion.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Steve G » June 5th, 2019, 1:21 pm

Buy it! I have a 2005 Tundra with 230k miles on it mixed city and highway. It hasn't cost me much to maintain and I am confident enough in the vehicle that I plan to run it up to Casper, WY and back this August for my vacation.
Steve G
kook

Postby dariian » June 10th, 2019, 6:35 am

I have a 2000 with close to 200k and would trust it up to 300s. Ive driven it across the country twice and up to Idaho and everywhere else. Great trucks.
dariian
spearo

Postby phil herranen » June 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

Good trucks but crappy mileage
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Steve G » June 11th, 2019, 12:50 pm

And just like that, the OP was gone.
Steve G
kook