Redneck pilot house for a panga

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 2nd, 2013, 6:50 pm

Some of you may know of my panga and the pilot house which I began this winter. It has been on hold due to diving and vacation. I finally got restarted on it and have begun tacking it together. They say if you can't fix it with duct tape, bailing wire or silicone.....it's MAJOR! Well, I used duct tape to hold my pilot house together while I tacked the port side together. I think any redneck would be proud!

At least it now looks a bit like a pilot house instead of just a pile of lumber.

Next step is to line up the starboard side and the roof (will need to cut the roof a bit to length) and tack it together. Get everything smooth and do a bit of reglassing before starting with windows (lexan), paint and then installation. Still a long way to go....

Lou
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Re: Redneck pilot house for a panga

Postby SBH2Oman » August 2nd, 2013, 10:54 pm

That's going to be a really nice addition to the boat. I still think some canvas & eisinglass "bat wings" snapped to the house for wet rides home would be really cool.

Are you planning to glass it to the deck or through-bolt it somehow? How will it be attached?

I'm always jealous of you guys with 'glassing skills...
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Westbury » August 3rd, 2013, 7:08 am

Hey Lou
MAke sure you glass in cactus cooler cup holders!
Westbury
kook

Postby Bamz » August 3rd, 2013, 9:30 am

Looks good Lou. Keep the updates coming!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 3rd, 2013, 8:41 pm

Westbury wrote:Hey Lou
MAke sure you glass in cactus cooler cup holders!

Already installed!

How ya doin Joe?
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 4th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Thought I'd post this up from the first site because some might not have seen it and it is a good tip if you need it. Nate (Fishmunger) from that other board told me about this. For warped plywood, nail a 2x4 to the ply with galvanized nails. Glass over the heads and then pry off the 2x4 and cut the nails flush with the ply. He said that's how Anderson does it. Worked like a charm on some warped ply that I had.

Lou
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 15th, 2013, 5:12 pm

have done a bit more work the last week or so and I'm quite happy that the house is starting to look pretty good. It's stiffened up quite a bit as I've taped up more and more of the seams. Pretty much all of the exterior seams are done and most of the interior seams are as well. I still have to put on the aft fascia (for lack of a better word) which will stiffen it up some more. I'll then decide if I need to put any reinforcing crossmembers for the roof. It will also get quite a bit stiffer when atached to the deck.
Attachments
This is pretty much how I expect it to turn out except I added one more angled face to the area just between the roof and the window. Also, it is now a couple of inches wider. That would be me on the starboard side and Scott on the port. The seat in front is part of the current console. I plan to install the house over the current console and leave steering and many of the electronics in place. I will move the antenna, nav lights and will install deck lights and a few other items. fuel tank is under the console and filler will have to be moved as will the fuel vent.
Current photo.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Spearing Magazine » August 16th, 2013, 8:12 am

Nice job so far!

Where did you find those drink holders and will they hold bottles? LOVE those!
Spearing Magazine
spearo

Postby Smudge » August 16th, 2013, 9:32 am

Look like bicycle water bottle holders to me. You can get them at Walmart...
Smudge
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 16th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Smudge wrote:Look like bicycle water bottle holders to me. You can get them at Walmart...

Yeah, that's what they are. My brother in law owns a triathalete store and I picked them up there. They work quite well. they work fine with plastic water bottles and I think they would work with glass bottles, but have never checked. I will try to remember to test a bottle in it the next time I get a chance.
Also, you can get plastic or aluminum. I think the aluminum are better because you can bend them to fit.
Lou
Last edited by Mahtzo Lou on August 16th, 2013, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » August 16th, 2013, 8:27 pm

Looking good Lou!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Westbury » August 16th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Smudge wrote:Look like bicycle water bottle holders to me. You can get them at Walmart...

they are actually Cactus Cooler staging pods!
Westbury
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 17th, 2013, 9:09 pm

Mahtzo Lou wrote:

Yeah, that's what they are. My brother in law owns a triathalete store and I picked them up there. They work quite well. they work fine with plastic water bottles and I think they would work with glass bottles, but have never checked. I will try to remember to test a bottle in it the next time I get a chance.
Also, you can get plastic or aluminum. I think the aluminum are better because you can bend them to fit the bottle size.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Davesea » August 19th, 2013, 8:37 pm

I went with a total enclosure that I use even in the summer here in the Pacific Northwest. it keeps the passengers warm and dry too. and weighs probably less than 50lbs. And yes my boat is a panga. Trinidad version which they call a Pirogue.
Attachments
Davesea
noob

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 19th, 2013, 9:13 pm

That's a really cool setup you have Dave. Your panga looks like a tiller? Did you have it made and ship it, or did you buy it from someone else?
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Davesea » August 20th, 2013, 7:35 am

Hi Lou,
I had it custom built by a guy in the Tampa area that has a mold. Yes it is tiller. 22.5' x 6.25' beam 60 hp 4 stroke. Gets 6 miles to the gallon at about 4300 rpm at 15-17 mph depending on the load.
Dave
Davesea
noob

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 21st, 2013, 3:00 pm

Those are real good numbers Dave; better than mine. My panga is 22 x 8 with a yamaha f115. I get about 4nm per gallon depending upon seas. I like the way you have yours set up. It looks like you make max use of your space. I have a lot of deck space, but the console takes up considerable room. Either way, I'm real happy with my boat. I had the hull made in mexico and brought it over. My buddy Scott (Scottywotty) helped me set it up.
Attachments
this is how it came. Hull, deck, console and fuel tank
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Davesea » August 22nd, 2013, 8:47 am

Lou,
I had a Yamaha 115 on my 18' outrage whaler. They do use more gas. Do you know your hull weight? I am surprised that your boat has an 8' beam being built in Mexico? The definition of a Panga is narrow beam and 8' is not a skinny beam on a 22' boat. Who built it?
Dave
Davesea
noob

Postby Davesea » August 22nd, 2013, 8:49 am

BTW your boat looks very cool. I like the bow roller anchor set up. Post an interior shot if you get a chance.
Davesea
noob

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 22nd, 2013, 2:51 pm

Davesea wrote:Lou,
I had a Yamaha 115 on my 18' outrage whaler. They do use more gas. Do you know your hull weight? I am surprised that your boat has an 8' beam being built in Mexico? The definition of a Panga is narrow beam and 8' is not a skinny beam on a 22' boat. Who built it?
Dave

Yes, I know it is extremely beamy for a panga. Amato Boats (the owner is a guy named Amado) made the hull. I have a friend who had one of his boats, but it was a more normal 7ft beam I think. I think Amato basically just took his old mold, split it in half and made it wider. I don't know if he is still making the boats wide like mine, if he went back to the narrow beam, or if he does both.

Thanks for the complement. Really cool to talk to another panga owner. have you seen the panga on the dive boat thread on spearboard? A guy named Nate (goes by Fishmunger) has a really slick panga. His is about 20 x 6.5 and a small yamaha on the back if I remember correctly. He rebuilt it with a cuddy and full pilot house. Lots of storage. Extremely cool and well thought out boat. He uses it for urchin diving. If you get a chance, check it out. I have a few photos that don't do it justice but I'll post them when I get a chance.

Lou
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 3rd, 2013, 9:55 pm

I shouldn't do this because it will make mine look like ^&%$ in comparison, but these are a few photos of Nate's panga the "Jolly Rancher"
the photos really don't do it justice. I don't know that I have ever seen a boat that makes more efficient use of space. It is extremely well thought out and very well executed. That last photo with the full size garbage can in the hatch doesn't show that the space is plumbed and can be used as a live well for keeping his catch alive, or as a jacuzzi. He mostly fishes urchins, but is set up to fish other species too.
Louis
Attachments
Last edited by Mahtzo Lou on April 26th, 2014, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 14th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Good news and bad news. No diving this weekend, but I got quite a bit done on my pilot house. About two weeks ago, I glassed the aft "fascia" on my pilot house, but it slipped. I cut it off and reglassed it today.
first I tacked it into place and glassed inside and out so that it would be strong enough to endure the clamping.
second, I clamped the house so that it warped a slight arch into the roof and glued the rest and glassed most of the inside seam.
The arch will ensure that h2o will drain and adds a slight amount of strength. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
It may not seem like too much, but I'm real happy and I finally feel that I am getting close to the end. Hoping to finish by the end of the year at the latest, but hopefully I can finish during Thanksgiving. (I will have some time to work on it during thanksgiving break and then again winter/Christmas break...I'm a teacher).
Louis
Attachments
Back of Pilot house with "fascia" tacked on and glassed. roof flat.
Pilot house clamped to create arch and line up roof with fascia
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 15th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Just weighed the pilot house. It's a bit heavier than I thought, but not too bad. just shy of 100lbs. will gain approx 25lbs from lexan and a bit more from a few other things. Will end up less than 150lbs. probably approx 130-135lbs. I can live with that.
Louis
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 15th, 2013, 9:19 pm

thought I'd mention something else that some of you may find interesting/useful. Works for me.
for fillers, I have been using pink fiberglass insulation and baking soda.

Baking soda works very well as a low density filler. If you need to fill in relatively small imperfections and sand easily, baking soda is good. It is also good to fill in small imperfections as you glass. (just make up a thick paste, catalyze, smash into the small hole or use a squeege and before it cures, glass over it. works real well.

Pink fiberglass insulation is something I learned from Scott (Scottywotty). chop it up finely and mix with resin then catalyze. be sure not to mix too dry. this works well on inside radii of corners. Mix up, spread over the area you want to fill and glass over. more care needs to be done with this because it is easier to get lumpy results. You should glass over it because it is difficult to get smooth without glassing over it and it is very difficult to sand. I used it to fill gaps between wood when taping seams and for glassing inside corners. (if you don't have a smooth radius, you will get air bubbles.

Louis
Attachments
filled knot hole. Baking soda
Pink fiberglass inslulation
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » September 15th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Cool stuff Lou!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 24th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Have been working on the pilot house when possible. Today, Scott came over and gave me a hand. I've put a fill/sanding coat over the whole thing and it's now ready to begin sanding. Tomorrow I hope to get it ready for transportation to the yard where I store my boat and where I plan to sand it. After that, I'll paint and install. Hoping to have it ready for the new year. (If not a bit earlier)

It's always great to have buddy's that are willing to come over and get their hands dirty and Scott has always been there to help when I have needed it.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby SpearoIvan » November 25th, 2013, 10:37 pm

Its looking great lou! I remember when we were cutting out the the windows... This will be great to get out of that cold wind. See you soon.
Ivan

Long Beach Neptune
SpearoIvan
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » November 26th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I am always envious of the people with the time, tools, space, and most importantly - skills to do stuff like this. It is so satisfying to do something like this oneself (and know that it is done RIGHT)! Its looking very cool. Any plan to add canvas/eisinglass "batwings" to keep the rest of us dry on the way home? :D
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby chris oak » November 26th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Lou that's coming out really nice! I don't know about the guy in the pilothouse though, he's questionable company for sure ;).

Were you guys launching out of cabrillo today 11/26? I thought I saw your rig when we were launching the work boat.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Donzi Paul » November 26th, 2013, 7:10 pm

Nice progress Lou, great that Scott's helping out, that's a good friend.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 26th, 2013, 8:16 pm

chris oak wrote:Lou that's coming out really nice! I don't know about the guy in the pilothouse though, he's questionable company for sure ;).

Were you guys launching out of cabrillo today 11/26? I thought I saw your rig when we were launching the work boat.

Yeah that was Scott, Ivan and myself. went out for some bugs. Engine's acting up a bit: when cold it barely comes up on plane, but when it comes up to temp, it runs about normal. Any ideas? I'm gonna ask on hull truth.

Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 26th, 2013, 8:18 pm

SBH2Oman wrote:Looking forward to seeing how it turns out! I am always envious of the people with the time, tools, space, and most importantly - skills to do stuff like this. It is so satisfying to do something like this oneself (and know that it is done RIGHT)! Its looking very cool. Any plan to add canvas/eisinglass "batwings" to keep the rest of us dry on the way home? :D

The short answer....NO! It'll keep everyone a lot drier though. How are your ribs? hope you're healing well.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 30th, 2013, 9:49 pm

Finally finished with the initial glassing stage and transported to the storage yard. It's time to sand. I hope to get some done tomorrow (sunday), then the next step will be to do touch up if needed, paint, install windows and install the house onto the boat. (bolt down to deck, reroute some electrical and antenna). Next step....dive!
Attachments
Drill and fill
Drill and fill
ready for transport
bolted to supports
Loaded into my neighbor's truck
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby gringo sushi » December 1st, 2013, 11:12 pm

Hi Lou,

I just found this (need to get out of ca section more often)- looking great! You have done some amazing work there. So cool to see the process. That will be a great addition.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » December 5th, 2013, 2:52 am

Mahtzo Lou wrote:
The short answer....NO! It'll keep everyone a lot drier though. How are your ribs? hope you're healing well.
Lou

Still sleeping on the other side, but no longer worried about someone jostling me in a subway station. ;-)

Looking forward to diving together again soon. I spent the afternoon today at the aquarium here in Singapore. Amazing display of really big pelagic fish.
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » December 5th, 2013, 7:17 pm

let me know what your schedule is for the 3 weeks after the 15th. I'll have some time and maybe we can get in the water.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » January 3rd, 2014, 9:55 pm

Well it's time for another update. Boat has been running poorly for awhile now so Scott and I were over at the yard today removing the fuel injectors so I can send them out to get cleaned (he did most of the work b/c he has forgotten more about engines than I ever knew...). Anyway......after finishing up, we decided to put the house up on the boat to see how it looked. I still need to sand, fair, install windows and do a few modifications to the front of the pilot house, but it definitely is coming together.

Lou
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby John Hughes » January 4th, 2014, 7:11 am

yay Lou that looks awesome!!

I've got some time off this week if you're still on vacation and need some help with that thing!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Mahtzo Lou » January 4th, 2014, 8:40 am

Probably gonna sand sometime today, but back to the salt mines on Monday :(
Thanks for the offer.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » January 4th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Looks Great Lou!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Scottywotty » January 5th, 2014, 1:20 pm

chris oak wrote:Lou that's coming out really nice! I don't know about the guy in the pilothouse though, he's questionable company for sure ;).

Yeah, can't trust that guy! I'd keep an eye on him for sure!!!!

Scotty
Scottywotty
spearo

Postby SpearoIvan » January 7th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Just when i thought Olivia couldn't get more beautiful....She did! Gonna be a big year.
Ivan

Long Beach Neptune
SpearoIvan
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » February 21st, 2014, 7:52 am

That is going to be such a nice improvement. How satisfying it will be to enjoy it knowing that you did it all yourself!
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » February 21st, 2014, 11:02 pm

Hey Brent,
good to hear from you again! Hope you're doing well. Ribs are fine now I assume. We'll have to get you down here and get you a seabass! (after me of course!).

Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » February 22nd, 2014, 9:12 pm

Sounds like a plan! I just got back in the water today for the first time since October. I've got some work to do to get back in shape. :)
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » March 9th, 2014, 2:56 pm

1st coat of primer went on today.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » March 9th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Lookin good Lou!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » March 9th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Thanks Bamz!
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby chris oak » March 9th, 2014, 8:28 pm

That came out nice Lou, how much does it weigh?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Mahtzo Lou » March 10th, 2014, 8:21 pm

right now I think it weighs somewhere around 100lbs. with windows it'll be a bit more but still not bad.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Next

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself