Redneck pilot house for a panga

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Re: Redneck pilot house for a panga

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 31st, 2014, 7:57 am

Pilot house has been painted for awhile now and Scott and I finally got it bolted down. I still need to rerout wiring, fuel hose and install the windows, but it is coming along slowly. Next up is to rerout the fuel hose and install the windows. the windows will be a bit more difficult than originally expected but still doable.
Attachments
Before
After
After
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby laguna80 » August 31st, 2014, 9:01 am

How do you bolt something like that to the floor? Is it like bolting any other console down? Were there any specialty type things you needed to do?
Early to bed,
early to rise,
fish all day,
make up lies.
laguna80
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 1st, 2014, 3:01 am

looking GOOD Lou!!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Hookin » September 1st, 2014, 10:07 am

That looks really sweet!
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 13th, 2014, 7:18 pm

laguna80 wrote:How do you bolt something like that to the floor? Is it like bolting any other console down? Were there any specialty type things you needed to do?

I'll take a photo, but I just used angle aluminum which is through bolted to the house. Because I did not have underdeck access, I had to use lag bolts to bolt it to the deck. (that and 5200) It's pretty strong.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby chris oak » September 13th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Awesome Lou, I saw it in person today and it's coming out great.

My buddy had 5200 glued to his engine mounts on his boat and when we pulled the bolts out we had to cut through the 5200 to get the motor off. Incredibly strong stuff!!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 14th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Here are the photos of how I mounted the house.

The last photo is at the dock after we came back. I have a photo of Johnny Cupcakes on the boat but I knew you guys didn't want to see his ugly a&& so I'm posting this one.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby laguna80 » September 14th, 2014, 5:24 pm

That's amazing. You're FAR beyond any "redneck" sort of thing.
Early to bed,
early to rise,
fish all day,
make up lies.
laguna80
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 17th, 2014, 6:40 pm

laguna80 wrote:That's amazing. You're FAR beyond any "redneck" sort of thing.

Thanks, but rednecks build some amazin' shit! ;)
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » September 29th, 2014, 9:49 pm

here are a few photos from our last trip on Olivia that I like. Hope you enjoy them. Still no windows, but they're coming!
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby ryan pettit » November 7th, 2014, 3:25 pm

The pilothouse came out awesome!

Just curious - ever have any problems keeping fish in the lobster bag over the side (sealions?) Seems like a good idea if you don't have a cooler I'd just be worried about getting robbed.
ryan pettit
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 20th, 2014, 10:03 pm

ryan pettit wrote:The pilothouse came out awesome!

Just curious - ever have any problems keeping fish in the lobster bag over the side (sealions?) Seems like a good idea if you don't have a cooler I'd just be worried about getting robbed.

Never any problem with the dogs when they're in a net bag. I have no idea why, but it works.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Hookin » November 21st, 2014, 8:49 am

Hey I saw the Olivia driving out of Marina Del Rey a few weeks ago. Looks like a great boat in person.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 22nd, 2014, 11:02 am

Thanks Alex,
How have you been? going to the next meeting? next time you see us say Hi!
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » November 28th, 2014, 2:56 pm

I got a bit more work done. I started by fixing a few cracks that developed. two small panels that were put on mainly to decrease the space between the console and the house began cracking. I didn't think of them as structural, so I didn't glass very heavily. I ground it down and added quite a bit more glass. In addition, I bolted the house to the console to give it more stability.

Next, I started with the windows. the window edges were radiused and that wouldn't work so I had to route the edges and reglass. I made a lot of dust!

Next step is to fit the rubber to the window opening and make a template so that I can have a window made for the front. I plan to use isinglass for the side windows.
Attachments
Squared off and glassed
rubber window weather stripping
weather rubber strip rough cut to length
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » November 29th, 2014, 7:55 am

Looking Good Lou!!
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Hookin » November 29th, 2014, 4:54 pm

Mahtzo Lou wrote:Thanks Alex,
How have you been? going to the next meeting? next time you see us say Hi!

I've been good but super busy. I was on my way to school when I saw your boat get on the 90. I am hoping I can make the meeting this Wednesday if I can sneak away. Good luck with your new installations.
Alex
Hookin
prick

Postby Mahtzo Lou » December 26th, 2014, 3:49 pm

the Pilot house is almost done, but now I have to install windows. The front will be glass. I have a friend that is a glass contractor and that has been ordered. I plan to use vinyl (eisenglas) windows on the sides but need a shop to do it. The first two shops on my list seem to have closed/moved. The first was Tradewinds in Redondo Beach and the second was Nautical X in San Pedro. Does anyone know a shop in range of Redondo That I can use?
Thanks,
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » December 27th, 2014, 2:23 pm

Hey Lou, I used Harbor Custom Canvas earlier this year and they did a good job. A little pricey but a very nice product.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » February 15th, 2015, 9:18 pm

Well, the windows are in! My neighbor got the glass (he's a glass contractor) and helped me put it in (actually I mostly stood around and watched while he did all the work). I also had two vinyl windows made for the side. I think that will be much better than permanent in the summer.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Westbury » February 15th, 2015, 9:46 pm

Looking sweet Lou!
Westbury
kook

Postby Bamz » February 16th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Looks Great Lou! You're stylin :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » February 23rd, 2015, 11:15 pm

Took Olivia out this past weekend. Boy is it nice having windows! much warmer...normally I wear a shirt, sweatshirt and my dive parka along with a beanie and sometimes gloves if it is cold. It sure was nice being able to wear just a sweatshirt and be warmer than I normally am with all that extra crap. I didn't even consider wearing my foulies! Time to spoil myself. My buddy Scott sure is happy! I didn't take many photos, but here's one. Now it's time to run some of the wiring. I got a new radio, new antenna, a dome light, a deck light and an anchor light, but first I have to grind and down and fix a crack I just noticed on my bow pulpit. It never stops does it?
Lou
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby chris oak » February 24th, 2015, 7:36 am

wow lou that came out fantastic! Do you know if it's going to scrub off any mpg? It looks slim and slanted so I'm guessing not much.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby gringo sushi » February 24th, 2015, 8:16 am

Looking great Lou. Nice work!
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » February 24th, 2015, 5:24 pm

chris oak wrote:wow lou that came out fantastic! Do you know if it's going to scrub off any mpg? It looks slim and slanted so I'm guessing not much.

Thanks Chris and all the others for your encouragement!
Unfortunately, my fuel flow gauge does not work anymore, so I do not have any precise mpg numbers but it feels like it has 20-25 more gallons of fuel compared to before the pilot house. Based upon this, I am guessing that my numbers are now about 3.5-3.75 nm/gal with a normal load of 2-3 divers and 20-25 lbs of ice. Previously, I would get anywhere between 3.75-4.25 nm/gal with the same load depending on seas. I would get about 3.5 nm/gal when loaded heavy with a full tank (55 gal) of fuel.
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Will » February 25th, 2015, 6:08 pm

Wow Lou looks great! Bet it makes the world of difference
Will
polespearo

Postby gringo sushi » February 25th, 2015, 7:30 pm

Mahtzo Lou wrote:
chris oak wrote:wow lou that came out fantastic! Do you know if it's going to scrub off any mpg? It looks slim and slanted so I'm guessing not much.

Thanks Chris and all the others for your encouragement!
Unfortunately, my fuel flow gauge does not work anymore, so I do not have any precise mpg numbers but it feels like it has 20-25 more gallons of fuel compared to before the pilot house. Based upon this, I am guessing that my numbers are now about 3.5-3.75 nm/gal with a normal load of 2-3 divers and 20-25 lbs of ice. Previously, I would get anywhere between 3.75-4.25 nm/gal with the same load depending on seas. I would get about 3.5 nm/gal when loaded heavy with a full tank (55 gal) of fuel.
Lou

That's some mighty nice mpg you got there Lou. And what a difference in comfort it must make on a sloppy crossing. That rig is a killer!
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby John Hughes » February 25th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Looking good Lou! I can hear Scott whining now from behind the seats when we are all warm and fuzzy behind those windows. I can't wait!! :rofl:

of course I'm sure he'll have a fish in the bag as we go home empty handed. As usual he'll probably get the last laugh :rolls:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby jimikinz » March 22nd, 2015, 7:17 pm

Hey Lou, looks great. Your build inspired me to do a little house for my skiff, so thanks for the motivation!!
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » March 23rd, 2015, 9:43 pm

Your house turned out great! It looks like you used Lexan, how do you like it? It sure is nice being able to get out of the wind isn't it?
Lou
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby jimikinz » March 24th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Thanks Lou. Yah the Lexan seems to hold up pretty well. I had some on another skiff for a few years and it never got yellow or cracked or anything. I just have to be careful not to wipe off any dry salt deposits or anything, it tends to take little scratches, but it never got to where it was a problem.

Yah it sure is nice to stay warm
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby cksea » March 25th, 2015, 9:27 am

Jim, Awesome house and boat. Is that a Twin Vee? What size/power? More info on the boat and construction of the house por favor.
cksea
spearo

Postby jimikinz » March 25th, 2015, 3:54 pm

It is a 19' Livingston Cat with an F115 Yammie. I've never seen another livingston out here that size. I got a screaming deal on it because it was a dispaly model that had about 25 hours on it, and had it shipped from the east coast. Its pretty much the same as a Twin-Vee but its a 7'6" beam where the Twin-Vee is 6' I believe. Pretty much the same other than that. Very spartan layout, which is great for a dive rig. TONS of deck space. Actually a surpriosing amount of storage space in front inside the pontoons - though its just a big open space, so stuff is just piled in there, but not a problem.

I put a fish bag along the edge of the front deck, which is perfect for moms and kids to sleep on...

This is the first cat I've owned (even ridden on until I bought it) and I'll never go back. It crushes chop, planes easily, really never wants to pound, and gets good mileage.

Only down side is the really low freeboard if you have kids and stuff, and the tinly little gas tank. It has 20 gallons, which will get you about 60 miles on an average day. In the summer offshore or for a Catalina run or something, I have to bring gas cans. Which means pouring gas into a funnel offshore during paddy trips, which can be interesting.

I made the house out of plywood and glassed it. Pretty simple, I did it in the garage, then lifted in onto the boat, re-wired the electronics, and that was it. I cut the original center console off just aft of the livewell, which is where that cushion is, and butted them up to each other. Looks a little ghetto, but it kinds fits the no-frills feel of my boats over the years....I liket he livewell for when I go fishing with the kids, and its good storage space. It definitely looks better in pictures - the finish work and painting is a pain, but that splatter paint covers up a lot. Plus I got to splatter paint my garage floor and cabinets at the same time...ha

If you're looking into building one, shoot me a PM and we can talk about it, and maybe you con come by and check it out - not sure where you are.
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby Alex Ray » March 25th, 2015, 7:49 pm

You mentioned gas funnels and offshore refueling...look up "shaker siphon," it'll change your life.

Or, click this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Grade-Jig ... B003N2UW1O
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby jimikinz » March 25th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Alex, Man its funny you posted that. While I was writing in that post about filling up offshore, I was thinking to myself; "hey dummy, why don't you use that shaker siphon you keep in your truck for off-roading" classic.

I don't think I've used it in 10 years, so I can afford to put it on the boat now!
Thanks,
Jim Anderson
jimikinz
spearo

Postby John Hughes » March 26th, 2015, 5:27 am

that house turned out great Jim!! I bet the wife is stoked.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Mahtzo Lou » July 27th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Just got back from a very cool camping trip to Catalina with the Neptunes and a few special friends.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Bamz » July 27th, 2015, 9:13 pm

WTG Lou!! I wish I could have gone on the the trip, but I just got back from the Dominican Republic. Sucks I know...
Hopefully next year.
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » July 28th, 2015, 6:52 pm

Thanks Bamz, it was a lot of fun with good people. I really hope you can make the time next year. The kids did a lot more diving this year. Mark shot his first fish (opaleye) and then later shot his first calico (the fish in the photo above your post); all using a gun he helped build. Brian, Brent's son (SBO2) won the kids derby with a 2.6lb calico. Cade (Keith's son) shot his first calico, and Wyatt shot his first opaleye. Drake, Donny's son dove hard and came close with a polespear. Here are a couple more photos (courtesy of Donny)
Attachments
Last edited by Mahtzo Lou on December 25th, 2015, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby chris oak » July 28th, 2015, 8:49 pm

What a great trip, I can't wait till my boy is old enough to take across the channel to camp. I saw you guys out there about a couple of weeks ago lou but you split before I figured out it was your boat.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Mahtzo Lou » July 30th, 2015, 9:59 am

It was really a good time. We spent most of the time in the water (after a leisurely morning of course). The kids only took a break from spearing to play in the water (or as in the case above, to rest for the next round of diving) and they did it all without cell phones and video games!
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby SBH2Oman » July 30th, 2015, 9:31 pm

There were a lot of first fish shot that weekend. And I loved Donnny's expression: we had a "gentleman's start" each day (meaning we got in the water after coffee, some oatmeal, then a batch of eggs, maybe some chilequiles (courtesy of Lou). And so on. I know my boy can only handle so many 5 am starts and we'd just come back from Baja, so it was great to sleep in every morning and have Lou make breakfast! :)
------------------------------
Brent Christensen

SBH2Oman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » August 1st, 2015, 12:50 pm

those pictures are so rad Lou. All your boys are going to look back as some of their favorite memories ever. I know I do looking back on my Cat days from when I was that old.

My boy won't be old enough but I may just have to go on the camp out next year just to get in on the fun!
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Mahtzo Lou » August 1st, 2015, 6:24 pm

Bring the whole family! I'm sure Mena would have a good time and your boy will be 2 1/2-3? That's old enough for him to have fun! kids love sand, dirt and water...it makes mud! Mark camped at little harbor when he was 1. Of course he didn't do very much diving that year!
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby Mahtzo Lou » December 25th, 2015, 11:04 pm

Was just looking at this thread and was reminded how much fun we had at Cat. We sure are lucky to be able to enjoy the ocean and to enjoy it with friends and family makes it even more special. Merry Christmas to all.

Here's a photo of Mark jumping off "Esta Bien". All the kids were having a great time jumping. At the end of each day, we ate good food with good people and told stories...
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby woody » February 11th, 2016, 12:49 am

Good job Lou
woody
kook

Postby Mahtzo Lou » March 8th, 2016, 8:35 pm

[/img]Well I haven't been able to do much diving lately but the bright side is that it has forced me to take care of quite a bit of maintenance that otherwise would be put off till next year. I've painted teh deck, had a cover for the house made, wired a dome light, spreader lights, begun redoing my seats (two pedestal seats will be converted to one bench seat), done work on rear hatches, fabricated roof racks, vhf, carpeted the ceiling of the pilot house which was peeling (I thought at first it was my bad prep but now am having doubts because the same issue is arising in areas that I know I did a proper job sanding), sanitized the wiring...

Here are a few early photos with more to come later.
Attachments
Mahtzo Lou
spearo

Postby chris oak » March 9th, 2016, 10:18 am

Always a pleasure to see all the work that you guys have done on your boats. With this weather I should be working on my boat but the kid and life is keeping me busy. Jim that pilothouse is fantastic!
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Bamz » March 9th, 2016, 10:01 pm

Looks good Lou! You fab the roof racks out of Starboard?
Scott Bamsey
LB Neptune
Master 50 ton
www.corsairfishing.com
Bamz
kook

PreviousNext

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself