RIB Arch with Gun Rack Advice

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

RIB Arch with Gun Rack Advice

Postby CATSAS-S® » November 28th, 2015, 10:27 am

I picked up a decent Avon Searider SR4 and spent a lot of time getting it running good and wiring things up. I didn't want to put a lot of money in it, but might keep it a while, so I'm thinking of having an arch made for it with a gun rack. I'm looking for some ideas on the design and leads on someone who can build this for me. I'd like to have space for 3-4 guns, a couple of rod holders, lights, an antenna and dive flag mount. I'm also looking for any other DIY ideas for gun/gear storage and ways to free up deck space. I've already replaced the control cables to slightly longer ones and have them up off the floor. I installed a 12 gallon fuel tank in the front and might try to fab something removable to place over the fuel tank and provide some kind of locker up there. Battery for electronics is stores under seat along with a dry bag of gear. I have a storage compartment made with two milk crates bolted together and PVC pipe for rods. There's enough room for it between the supports and I can still fit a big cooler in front with legroom in front before the jockey seat, so there's more room that it looks in the picture. Still, the crate rig is lacking and I'd like a better solution. Ideas?
Attachments
CATSAS-S®
spearo

Re: RIB Arch with Gun Rack Advice

Postby Donzi Paul » November 28th, 2015, 3:35 pm

Something like this? I fab'ed my own from SS tube, Titanium, and ski rack bits, but Rail makers in Newport Beach does great work.
The last one is a F470 boat from Cen Cal.
Cheers, Don
Attachments
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby CATSAS-S® » November 29th, 2015, 9:31 am

Holy cow. Is that a giant, motorized searchlight? :D Good job on the A Frame. It looks like the second rail stops in mid air? Is this unfinished or is it wrong enough to do that. Good idea on the rack by the way. Thanks for taking the time to post up some photos.
CATSAS-S®
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » November 29th, 2015, 10:06 am

CATSAS-S® wrote:Holy cow. Is that a giant, motorized searchlight? :D Good job on the A Frame. It looks like the second rail stops in mid air? Is this unfinished or is it wrong enough to do that. Good idea on the rack by the way. Thanks for taking the time to post up some photos.

Thanks mate.
Yes, this was just a quick image shot during early trial assembly and fab. So yes, tubes were unfinished. The remote 360 degree search light is mounted on top of my radadome, the unit on top of the 50hp motor is a Mil spec radar lens type reflector that exceeds the performance of those little tin foil balls the sail boat guys sport. I want to be seen in the shipping lanes and dense fog. This fall, I started design of a auto self righting system that mounts on the arch, to self right the boat should it ever capsize. Looks a wee bit like this.

Cheers, Don
Attachments
selfrightingbags_002.jpg
selfrightingbags_002.jpg (8 KiB) Viewed 3084 times
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby CATSAS-S® » November 29th, 2015, 10:42 am

Interested in your radar ball. I was caught in a squall in my Cal 34 sailboat a few years ago and had to keep turning NW into the 12-15' waves to avoid being flipped, and it took forever for us to cross the shipping lane. We had radar, but no reflector or AIS, and we came pretty close to getting smoked by a container shipped. It was nerve wracking to say the least watching that monstrosity coming closer but have to choose between being rolled over or being hit by the tanker, or possibly both. We made it obviously, and it's possible they saw us on their radar and changed course, but it was WAY too close for comfort. Since I intend to use this boat to cross to Catalina, being seen is definitely a worry. I bought a Standard Horizon HX870 handheld with GPS and DSC, but I wish it had AIS so I could at least hail ships by name, but in fog, I wouldn't have much time to react anyway. A radar reflector would be a fantastic idea. On that note, not sure if I can install one on my motor though. Mine is a manual tilt Mariner 30. Can you tell me anything more about your Reflector?
CATSAS-S®
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » November 29th, 2015, 3:45 pm

Sure CATSAS, I have the Med sized one. West has them now at $314.00
I too have a pull start for a back up to my back up power. :D Never know when the music and disco light suck up too much juice. :D

Product Description
These reflectors offer defense industry technology to recreational boaters at an affordable price. The Large size is used by the U.S. Navy on subs while operating on the surface. “If you’re in the market for a passive radar reflector, we recommend the Tri-Lens,”-Practical Sailor (August 2001). Rated #1 by Power Boat Reports magazine. The unique configuration of three Luneberg Lenses provides strong returns with very narrow nulls that are nearly constant over 30° pitch and roll. Includes mast-mount bracket and a mounting disk for deck mounting.
Attachments
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Linghunt » December 14th, 2015, 4:22 pm

CATSAS-S® wrote:I picked up a decent Avon Searider SR4 and spent a lot of time getting it running good and wiring things up. I didn't want to put a lot of money in it, but might keep it a while, so I'm thinking of having an arch made for it with a gun rack. I'm looking for some ideas on the design and leads on someone who can build this for me. I'd like to have space for 3-4 guns, a couple of rod holders, lights, an antenna and dive flag mount. I'm also looking for any other DIY ideas for gun/gear storage and ways to free up deck space. I've already replaced the control cables to slightly longer ones and have them up off the floor. I installed a 12 gallon fuel tank in the front and might try to fab something removable to place over the fuel tank and provide some kind of locker up there. Battery for electronics is stores under seat along with a dry bag of gear. I have a storage compartment made with two milk crates bolted together and PVC pipe for rods. There's enough room for it between the supports and I can still fit a big cooler in front with legroom in front before the jockey seat, so there's more room that it looks in the picture. Still, the crate rig is lacking and I'd like a better solution. Ideas?

I got a 14 foot Achilles 1992. Back when I got it, same issues you discuss. I got a MIG welder and made a rack that came off the Transom. It's somewhat of a hack job, but served the purpose of holding Antenna, radio, small spearguns, Flag and fishing poles. I'll see if I can dig up some old pictures of it.
Linghunt
polespearo

Postby Donzi Paul » December 20th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Benny » February 3rd, 2016, 8:20 pm

CATSAS-S® wrote:I picked up a decent Avon Searider SR4 and spent a lot of time getting it running good and wiring things up. I didn't want to put a lot of money in it, but might keep it a while, so I'm thinking of having an arch made for it with a gun rack. I'm looking for some ideas on the design and leads on someone who can build this for me. I'd like to have space for 3-4 guns, a couple of rod holders, lights, an antenna and dive flag mount. I'm also looking for any other DIY ideas for gun/gear storage and ways to free up deck space. I've already replaced the control cables to slightly longer ones and have them up off the floor. I installed a 12 gallon fuel tank in the front and might try to fab something removable to place over the fuel tank and provide some kind of locker up there. Battery for electronics is stores under seat along with a dry bag of gear. I have a storage compartment made with two milk crates bolted together and PVC pipe for rods. There's enough room for it between the supports and I can still fit a big cooler in front with legroom in front before the jockey seat, so there's more room that it looks in the picture. Still, the crate rig is lacking and I'd like a better solution. Ideas?

How do you like that boat so far? Is the hull water ballasted? I'm interested in a zodiac searider and curious how they handle following seas, fuel burn etc. Thanks
Benny
noob

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself