Broke down cooler fix

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

Broke down cooler fix

Postby John Hughes » September 1st, 2016, 7:51 pm

I have this broke down 100 qt cooler I got from work 10 years ago because it was too beat down for them to use. Needless to say, this cooler has had some adventures in the last 10 years including every Baja trip I've done since then.

The day before I left on this years Baja run, the latches on it finally gave up the ghost and the top was barely hanging on.

Without time to get another, my buddy Jeff who I went with suggested I use some old weight belt rubber to re-attatch it. Worked like a charm! I used the existing screws and added some washers to hold the belt a little better. We came home with a cooler full of fish and two blocks of ice. After 6 hours in the car the fish was still rock solid. I'm looking forward to beating the shit out of this thing for years to come :)

John Hughes
cupcake

Re: Broke down cooler fix

Postby Alex Ray » September 1st, 2016, 8:03 pm

That's such a great fix!
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby NaClAddict » September 2nd, 2016, 8:06 am

I wonder if you couldn't find a button or hook to couple with some more old rubber belt to make a latch? A la sort of a janky yeti type system? The latches and hinges on medium end coolers stink. At least stainless replacement parts are coming down in price and more widely available. I do however like repairing with scrap rather than buying new parts that are probably junk anyway.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby John Hughes » September 2nd, 2016, 4:25 pm

NaClAddict wrote:I wonder if you couldn't find a button or hook to couple with some more old rubber belt to make a latch? A la sort of a janky yeti type system? The latches and hinges on medium end coolers stink. At least stainless replacement parts are coming down in price and more widely available. I do however like repairing with scrap rather than buying new parts that are probably junk anyway.

If you look closely at the third photo you can see I used some nylon weight belt for a latch :) My buddy Jeff gave me grief for that ghetto addition :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chaeki » September 2nd, 2016, 8:14 pm

Thanks for posting, my ice chest did the same thing
chaeki
spearo

Postby Donzi Paul » September 2nd, 2016, 10:51 pm

Nice getto Yeti. :greetings-clappingorange: and it's not 500 clams.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Alex Ray » September 3rd, 2016, 6:32 am

From designer John Hughes: the "Gheti" cooler
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby John Hughes » September 3rd, 2016, 9:25 pm

Alex Ray wrote:From designer John Hughes: the "Gheti" cooler

Tru dat

:bowrofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » September 3rd, 2016, 10:11 pm

lol John you cheap ass! Actually that's very similar to what we do at work. When we collect animals we often will use igloo coolers and just lash them to the deck. The problem are the hindges and lock break in the first few months when they are in a lot of sun. Igloo sells stainless hindges but they are like 30 bucks a set, so we use thick solid rubber, the same stuff we make gaskets out of. They last forever.

As for the lock, a thick piece of heavy duty velcro from home depot works perfectly when you screw it to the front.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » September 4th, 2016, 5:36 am

chris oak wrote:lol John you cheap ass! Actually that's very similar to what we do at work. When we collect animals we often will use igloo coolers and just lash them to the deck. The problem are the hindges and lock break in the first few months when they are in a lot of sun. Igloo sells stainless hindges but they are like 30 bucks a set, so we use thick solid rubber, the same stuff we make gaskets out of. They last forever.

As for the lock, a thick piece of heavy duty velcro from home depot works perfectly when you screw it to the front.

I should have known the ghetto fix king himself would have already figured this one out :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Neptonics » September 4th, 2016, 4:14 pm

Ingenuity right there

Nice work, John.
https://www.instagram.com/neptonics_worldwide/

Quality you can trust from North America's Biggest Spearfishing Retailer.

Neptonics
spearo

Postby castronova » October 11th, 2016, 4:19 am

That is such a perfect fix for those older cheaper coolers. I want to buy one and drag it around just so I can try this one day.
castronova
prick

Postby CaptainLeo » October 18th, 2016, 7:52 am

I've been fixing my boat coolers like this for quite a few years. I finally had to toss the white just like your because the deer quarters brought back put the final nail in that coffin. Haha.
CaptainLeo
spearo

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself